Gianna

Music Detox

35 posts in this topic

I actually did do this for about a year, listening to music maybe once a month. When I did listen to music it was amazing.  Now if you notice, even if you watch a video about how to do your taxes, there will be music in the background.  Everything has music just for the sake of having music,  I would like to avoid bad music, but that is difficult.   I feel like there is no point in an ok song.  An ok song is fun to play, and fun for the person playing, but there is no point in me listening to an ok song.  Give me an amazing song or give me quiet time :)

Edited by Mulky

4 hours ago, Gianna said:

VERY interesting! I suspect the same thing in myself. Especially after listening to Leo's video on self-deception. I feel the classic earworm– as you call it hehe– is very deceptive. 

Ooh, now that's also interesting, I hadn't considered it in terms of self-deception - I haven't seen that video, I'll have to give it a watch!

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

4 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

Music is so helpful to my growth. There’s no way this would be healthy for me personally. Idk about you though. 

Oh yeah, for me too - I've found certain music to be hugely cathartic for example. It can become a problem if you're consuming it mindlessly, but if you're fully-engaged it can be truly wonderful.

Edited by RickyFitts

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

On 30/07/2021 at 11:29 PM, Gianna said:

Has anyone here been on a complete music detox (not listening to music for a long period of time)? I recently noticed that the times where I don't listen to music at all I have a very still mind. Then, when I start to listen to music again, it's like my mind is a broken record player. Just repeating the lyrics to every song day and night. Maddening!!! I'll go to sleep singing a song and wake up singing a song (all in my mind). Does anyone else share this experience? My sister is really bad she just goes around singing in her head and out loud constantly. It. never. stops. But I don't even think she realizes it. 

Sometimes detox BY music is what is needed! Check out the oldies, not that new stuff. 

I understand about the singing songs in your mind - that's one insight from an old friend from this forum (Snick) - his insight was that whenever you keep repeating a song in your mind that's your ego at work, basically you should just notice who notices that song and you will use it for self inquiry!

But yeah I have caught myself  doing it many times and my wise friend's words ring in my ears not to trust this self-singing and halt it by self inquiry. Hope this helps 

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

I used to do this. It was probably the right thing for me at the time, but once the mind was relatively still enough, further music deprivation was seen as a form of denial.

5 hours ago, The0Self said:

I used to do this. It was probably the right thing for me at the time, but once the mind was relatively still enough, further music deprivation was seen as a form of denial.

Sure, I think it's best to be flexible about these things rather than taking a hardline approach about it. I've had phases in the past 2-3 years where the thought of listening to music was completely unappealing, so I just didn't listen to it (a part of me did feel sad about it/worried there was something wrong with me, but, y'know), and other times where I've been listening to it a lot. Best not to overthink it, I feel.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:26 PM, RickyFitts said:

Oh yeah, for me too - I've found certain music to be hugely cathartic for example. It can become a problem if you're consuming it mindlessly, but if you're fully-engaged it can be truly wonderful.

I like to do music and spiritual work in combo a lot

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Music is my drug, just like dissing your sister is yours.  Each is own I suppose.

Lies that should be true, more and more... 9_9;)

Music is God's language.  Y'all must be listening to garbage.

Edited by Loba

12 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I like to do music and spiritual work in combo a lot

Oh yeah? Cool, I personally prefer to do my spiritual work in silence but I can see how it could be beneficial to do it to music :)

Edited by RickyFitts

On 01.08.2021 at 9:59 PM, BipolarGrowth said:

There’s no way this would be healthy for me personally

have you tried it at least? Maybe its your ego talking that doesn't want to give away music?

Yes, silence is the best music in the world. Or the pitter-patter of the rain or sounds of wind and thunder. What we call music is primitive in comparison. :)

Depends how you use that time. If you swap Music for youtube or any other entertainment it certainly isn't a net positive.

To me it's not actually possible to listen to music "mindlessly" like you would do with a TV show or something. The only time when I am not 100% conscious of it is when I do something else at the same time which I tend to not do so much. To me Music IS meditation. I sit there and I pay attention.

But I am a musician I am definitely biased.

Sailing on the ceiling 

59 minutes ago, Rigel said:

The only time when I am not 100% conscious of it is when I do something else at the same time which I tend to not do so much. To me Music IS meditation. I sit there and I pay attention.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from - I've gotten into the habit of putting it on in the background (I've got Radiohead on as I type), I rarely give it my full attention these days. Shame, really, one of my favourite pastimes used to be getting high and listening to music (I used to enjoy the bass guitar particularly, males tend to resonate with those lower frequencies apparently) but I don't really do it these days, I find it a bit of a struggle to really take it in.

Edited by RickyFitts