benny

Joseph Campbell is awful

8 posts in this topic

Honestly, I've never read such insufferable prose in all my life. It takes careful deciphering of Campbell's word salads to extract very simple (albeit powerful) lessons about the human journey.

He's so pompous and self-indulgent that I actually get angry at him when reading his supposed magnum opus, The Hero With a Thousand Faces. It makes me want to resurrect him so I can punch him in his stupid face and tell him what a god awful writer he is.

The end.

Oof. Did you suffer all the way through every single 300-400 pages? I admit that I've had much harder, more obtuse reads. And Joseph Campbell reads like an academic, but there is far worse.

I enjoyed it personally; I got it and a couple other books as a graduation gift from my high school English teacher because she knew this was up my alley.

I finished the whole book and didn't find it all that great. There was a pretty good layout for the heros journey though. I extracted a few good nuggets of wisdom for sure. 

Hahaha yeah I never finished that book. 

Pro Tip: If you stop vibing with a book, stop reading it

And paradoxically, I actually enjoyed it. It felt like a confusing labyrinth of words that sometimes takes you to a magical place with a few insights here and there. The main thing to take a way from Joseph Campbell is to follow your bliss. It sounds cheesy but this motherfucker is a badass because he did it. He wanted to study myths and shit all day so he did and he got good success for it but wayyyy more important is that when you watch interviews with him, he has a joyful childlike glow to him and everything he does. It's quite beautiful whether your moral compass (your judger) agrees with him or nah. 

So I mean you could turn this into a learning experience and try for 24 hours to do only that which you enjoy (a challenge proposed by Osho, who is a dude I'm super curious if you'd vibe with). 

But yeah that's my petty 2 cents but man it seems like you wasted a SHITLOAD of time with this Joseph Campbell dude.

A very specific book, which I started with size five, if not more. I read it to the end with difficulty.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:38 AM, RuthLew said:

A very specific book, which I started with size five, if not more. I read it to the end with difficulty.

Bro i didn't even finish it, its a dense fucking book haha

On 7/7/2021 at 10:07 PM, benny said:

He's so pompous and self-indulgent that I actually get angry at him when reading his supposed magnum opus, The Hero With a Thousand Faces. It makes me want to resurrect him so I can punch him in his stupid face and tell him what a god awful writer he is.

Trust me,

you don’t want to do this.

I had a friend who punched the corpse of another friend of mine over a personal issue and it did not help matters at all.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

16 hours ago, longusername12345 said:

Bro i didn't even finish it, its a dense fucking book haha

I try to overpower myself in relation to any books. If taken, then read.