7thLetter

Are extroverted individuals capable becoming self-actualized?

37 posts in this topic

* deleted everything cause it was written on a whim and probably sounds arrogant *

Edited by 7thLetter

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

interesting

18 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

disadvantages they have when it comes to understanding reality, self-actualization, being philosophical, all the deep topics

being extroverted is different from being shallow. socrates, the father of philosophy, was a social guy.

For the extremely social types it's almost as if they need to socialize 24/7, but if they're alone in their room they would rather consume some sort of entertainment like TV or video games.

that's clearly an unhealthy extroverted

it's just like an introvert who is alone 24/7.

they're too outwardly focused, they're too social which distracts them from being able to contemplate or think for themselves.

conversely, a lot of introverts are too inwardly focused. they get stuck in their own little inner world which makes it impossible to express their gifts to the world.

one day this will all be memories

21 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

I don't believe they're able to sit, clear their minds and meditate.

This is BS.

I know extroverted enlightened folk.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@7thLetter I know you're speaking generally, but you should consider that there are no fully extroverted or introverted people. Everyone is an ambivert that falls within that spectrum, so the capacity to do this is within everyone.

Also, I will say that the methods used here are not the only methods. Plenty have not been discovered, and the ways introverts and extroverts self-actualize don't have to be the same. Even saying "generally" is not really possible because the population of people doing this type of work is insanely low. I mean what does "generally" even mean in this context? You see what I'm getting at? 

46 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is BS.

I know extroverted enlightened folk.

I did mention what I said here is based on extroverts I've met in my life, and I could say I've met quite a few. Plus there's all the ones you see in the entertainment industry all over social media & Youtube.

If there's extroverted enlightened people out there, then I'm glad, that's breaking news for me :)

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

52 minutes ago, Depersonilized said:

@7thLetter I know you're speaking generally, but you should consider that there are no fully extroverted or introverted people. Everyone is an ambivert that falls within that spectrum, so the capacity to do this is within everyone.

That's if you follow the idea of Introversion & Extroversion being a spectrum.

I'm more of a fan of the Myers-Briggs Personality type model

2 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

That's if you follow the idea of Introversion & Extroversion being a spectrum.

I'm more of a fan of the Myers-Briggs Personality type model

Personally, I've had my E and I ratings flip flop back and forth in the past. Pretty exciting!

It's Love.

6 minutes ago, RendHeaven said:

Personally, I've had my E and I ratings flip flop back and forth in the past. Pretty exciting!

I could say the same.

Growing up, in school I was a complete loner, but still had friends. I then forced myself to work a ton of "front of house" restaurant jobs so I could interact with customers to improve my confidence & social skills. This lead me to get into pickup, I've probably approached over 600 random women in public within' a single year.

But then I still have my moments of choosing solitude like I'm having this year. It could be a sign of spiritual growth or maturity, or its the spectrum moving from extroverted into introverted. Or its just me choosing authenticity and being who I truly am, an introvert.

I consider myself extremely introverted, but if the situation calls for it I can choose to be social, for example if I wanted to impress a girl or something. But still, my social energy is limited even though I could have these social moments.

With all of this being said, would I agree its a spectrum? Could be, but I mainly would consider myself to be a social introvert. My Dad is the quietest person I know, and my Mom is the loudest person I know, so then they made me.

4 minutes ago, Joshi3 said:

are dogs capable of drinking water lol 

are people ever going to quit downplaying situations lol

Extroversion and introversion are ways in which the psyche gathers and spends energy.
Introverted folks spend energy then they are focuses outwardly, like in social situations, or when building something, etc. They gather experiences that they have to later process in solitude, via introspection. This is inverse for extroverts. 

I think that you simply shared your limiting beliefs in this thread. It's like saying that introverted people can't be sociable, or can't get laid because chicks dig alpha chad types. Sociable introverts are going to be sociable in different ways than extroverts. The same applies to enlightenment.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

19 minutes ago, tsuki said:

I think that you simply shared your limiting beliefs in this thread. It's like saying that introverted people can't be sociable, or can't get laid because chicks dig alpha chad types. Sociable introverts are going to be sociable in different ways than extroverts. The same applies to enlightenment.

Limiting beliefs? If you read above what I wrote to RendHeaven you will notice I have no limiting beliefs when it comes to me as an introvert trying to be social, nor am I an extrovert trying to be enlightened.

Maybe I have limiting beliefs around what extroverts are capable of if that's what you mean, but like I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, these are basically generalizations that I have that are based on my personal experience with the couple hundreds maybe thousands of extroverts that I've personally met in my life.

4 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

I did mention what I said here is based on extroverts I've met in my life, and I could say I've met quite a few. Plus there's all the ones you see in the entertainment industry all over social media & Youtube.

If there's extroverted enlightened people out there, then I'm glad, that's breaking news for me :)

Consider that it might actually be easier to awaken as an extrovert because introverts tend to be very lost in their minds.

You have interpreted enlightenment as sort of extreme introversion when actually you could think of it as more like extreme extroversion. The inner world is snuffed out.

Technically, inner and outer worlds become One, so it's a moot point.

26 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Consider that it might actually be easier to awaken as an extrovert because introverts tend to be very lost in their minds.

But generally speaking extroverts are lost in society?

You have interpreted enlightenment as sort of extreme introversion when actually you could think of it as more like extreme extroversion. The inner world is snuffed out.

If you have any links of any examples of extroverted intellectuals on Youtube or anywhere else who are self-actualized, enlightened, or deeply philosophical, I'd love to check them out. But for the most part I would assume examples of these individuals would be a rare find, if there are any.

Enlightenment though requires deep introspection of the self and isolation, does it not? And in my opinion most extroverts don't bother to do any introspective work because they're too focused on the social games that they play. Maybe that's a different story if you gave an extrovert some psychedelics, but this is assuming they don't take psychedelics.

I understand that in theory but, relatively speaking

Edited by 7thLetter

43 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol, so introverts suck at getting laid and getting enlightened! Can't catch a break here :P

Edited by Joel3102

2 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

Maybe I have limiting beliefs around what extroverts are capable of if that's what you mean

Curb your triggers, this is exactly what I meant.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

But generally speaking extroverts are lost in society?

Be careful with such gross generalizations.

If you have any links of any examples of extroverted intellectuals on Youtube or anywhere else who are self-actualized, enlightened, or deeply philosophical, I'd love to check them out. But for the most part I would assume examples of these individuals would be a rare find, if there are any.

Who says they have to be intellectuals? That's your subjective bias. There are many more ways to live life than as an intellectual on YT.

Enlightenment though requires deep introspection of the self and isolation, does it not?

Again, your bias is causing you to lose sight of other modes of doing spiritual work.

The majority of spiritual work in the world is done via group and communal settings. People meditate together, drink psychedelics together, have orgies together, pray together, go to church together, etc. Even monks live together and fuck each other.

While some of what you're saying is certainly true to some extent, one thing you will notice is that extroverts are extremely energetic and present. Unlike an introvert, they don't have to expend much energy in order to "fit in". Fitting in is their natural state, and they feel a lot of positive emotion doing it. In a sense, it's not that they're uncapable of deep thinking or spirituality, but it's rather they don't have the same need for it.

Introverts often misinterpret extroverted enthusiasm for inauthenticity and forced conformity, and while there might be a kernel of truth to that, for the extrovert, it's nevertheless fueled by an authentic and embodied expression. If you take this into account, imagine how freaking happy this guy is ?:

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

19 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

imagine how freaking happy this guy is

Don't be fooled by an extrovert's happy facade. Such people are not happy, they are just gerbils in wheels.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't be fooled by an extrovert's happy facade. Such people are not happy, they are just gerbils in wheels.

How would you know an extrovert is unhappy ?

Isn't socialization supposed to feed our dopamine circuit through validation and stimulate happy hormones ?

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@7thLetter All I'd emphasise is the point that you know for yourself that you prefer introverted intuitive people. You can know that without getting into arguments about whether extroverts or sensors are dumb. Of course you can if you want to, and there's literally no problem with you saying they're dumb. But watch where you're going, and why of you're doing it. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.