Runtz

An IRL encounter with the darkness of scientific materialism

39 posts in this topic

Contrary to opinions in this thread I think euthanasia should be legally available for everybody 18+. I wish they will legalize it in my country. Being able to peacefully end it should be a universal human right.

That being said, we should make sure that it isn't an impulsive decision. There is currently no cure for depression, only symptoms treatment. Psychedelics, antidepressants, ketamine, ECT work but only to an extent. The true cure for depression will come when we can deactivate its genes. 

@Runtz Grow your own and give her psilocybin mushrooms. 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

1 hour ago, diamondpenguin said:

Government should give treatment, not death.

They do 

Euthanasia is not advised by doctors. No doctor will say I can't help you let me help you finish your life. If they do I'm against that. Patients request it themselves. 

Edited by StarStruck

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

37 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

I don't think you unterstand how this works. You'll be wiping whole character traits out from humanity.

Depression is not a genetic disorder like down syndrom.

Edited by Windappreciator

There is a genetic component to depression, but that is one variable out of dozens. There are also components like upbringing, traumas, social network, inner resources, level of consciousness, ego developement, the level of being able to compensate etc. I was deeply depressed and had been suicidal for years and was in a clinic for mental treatment. They offer mindfulness training but only in a crude form but its better than nothing. I didn't experienced elecroshock therapy  but heard of it and it seemed to help for many of the worsed cases. The side effects were that they eradicate months of memory of the current year but for some of them that was a benefit because they lost some very agonizing memories. I was lucky and one of the nurses was a real yogi for 20 years and taught me stuff I've seen already and motivated me to do it. I used the time to do 1,5hrs a day vipasssana and affirmations. There is still enough left but now my life's vastly improved. So there is a way out. 

Right now I still have a acquaitance who is heavily stuck and thinks there is no way out. He told me he'll try only one stay in a clinic and then he might kill himself. I'm thinking about giving him psychedelics to break out for just a little, but I'm not sure if i really am gonna do that and if so which one I should give him,maybe straight 5meo..

He as well as the OP's cousin has to see that unconscious thinking and not being in the moment is the problem. 

Edited by Seeker531

1 hour ago, Windappreciator said:

@Enlightenment there... there are no genes for depression...

There are and for anxiety too. I'm well versed in this topic.

Nobody is born depressed.

It's the result of improper lifestyle and programming.

Heavy metal detox is also hugely important for depressed people. Heavy metals cause incurable depression until the metals are removed through chelation. I have personally experienced it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Nobody is born depressed.

It's the result of improper lifestyle and programming.

Heavy metal detox is also hugely important for depressed people. Heavy metals cause incurable depression until the metals are removed through chelation. I have personally experienced it.

Maybe we just find the genes that make people depressed by heavy metals and remove them. 

They could finally be happy in unhealthy environments then.

Edited by Windappreciator

On 1/7/2021 at 1:19 AM, Runtz said:

Let me clarify that she has always been into science and rational debating stubbornness. So she is a materialist.

people who have a completely materialistic ideosyncrasy are depressed to a greater or lesser extent. it's normal, they live in a gray nightmare with no escape

@Depersonilized I dont know the details of the medication.

@kinesin You are correct that I live in the Netherlands, probably the only country where they administer it for psychiatric suffering. Its highly fucked up and twisted but you are still misrepresenting the situation. Its not that they are booked to be killed, the patient has to really want it themselves and say this in therapy etc. This is of course still super twisted because the condition my cousin is suffering is the depression and wish of death itself, instead of some underlying physical cause which causes the wish of death.

I didn't fucking know this was even possible in my country till i heard about my cousin. Again its not like euthanasia is an option they just move on to, but the fact that it was even mentioned as an option shocked me so much. I have no idea how to talk to my cousin and my aunt and uncle about this.

@Leo Gura Yes it's highly fucked up. Growing up I always thought my country the Netherlands was the best, but the older I get the less i become sure of its greatness. Thanks a lot for the tip about psychedelic therapy, already saw your blog post but didn't even connect it to this situation. I've done some research and found out there is only one serious psychedelic psychiatrist in my country, doing sessions with mdma and ketamine. But he might do the trick if I persuade my cousin to take it.

Do you think a psychedelic can still work for transformation even for highly scientific stubborn materialistic people?

Dear victim of abuse,
Please don't end your life.  I have dealt with rape as well and it takes time to overcome.  I am so sorry you are going through this.
You are not alone.
There are many wonderful things in the world.  Today I whistled to a robin in the backyard and he came down to investigate.  I gave him a blueberry as a treat and he took it.  I saw a small rabbit as well.

They may be gone tomorrow from something but today they appreciate life.  The berries, the fresh grass, the fresh air...

There are really amazing mysteries in life... ones that you should let your soul take the time to show you before making a choice like this.
They are observational.

Edited by Loba

12 hours ago, ItsNick said:

Very sad story.

Appearantly Euthanasia is legal in Belgium and some other countries too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_euthanasia

Psychiatrist from the docu:

I think this really shows the need for radical changes in mental healthcare. We have no idea what we're doing...

I had a depression in this intensive form for 2 year, and it was almost unbearable, the worst thing that ever happened to me. This girl has got it when she was 12 and she died with 26, if I´ve got it correctly. 14 years!!!  The problem with this state is - the longer your are in the harder it is to get out. It is like a bog. Your psyche forgets how it is  - to be happy and alive. I don´t know, if it was so wrong to let her die. After 14 years of no improvement.

Today I zoomed around the supermarket on a trolley (tbh I never stopped doing that when I became an adult just lol). We ought to feel ecstatic, for we are infinite. We cannot die. We're dancing with ourselves in an endless nothing.

I wonder how the suffering people feel however. This is very first world. But those moments feel quite freeing.

I’m very sorry to hear that euthanasia is being discussed. It is the ultimate means of reducing suffering and should only be used when every method of treatment has been tried with no success. What kind of life is someone living when there isn’t a requisite variety of ways to help them want to remain living? It’s so sad and unfortunate.

4 hours ago, Hulia said:

This girl has got it when she was 12 and she died with 26, if I´ve got it correctly. 14 years!!!  The problem with this state is - the longer your are in the harder it is to get out. It is like a bog. Your psyche forgets how it is  - to be happy and alive. I don´t know, if it was so wrong to let her die. After 14 years of no improvement.

I had severe treatment-resistant depression from age 13 to around 29.  A person at age 26 is still not too far from being a teenager, from the perspective of the further development which occurs in a person's 30s.  I believe that if she would have held on a few more years, she could have gotten through it.

I wonder, if modern psycotherapy tries yoga and different breathing technics. These tools are very powerful when exercising regularly and for a longer period. Probably psycodelics could help too..