Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
somegirl

What to order on a night-out when you quit drinking?

22 posts in this topic

So I've been hanging out with my group of friends for like 3 years and have been drinking with them during that time. I'm not at all a heavy drinker, though I have low tolerance to alcohol so one beer is enough to get me kinda tipsy.

Though eat relatively healthy, so I don't want to mess that up. I still want to hang out with my friends since it's fun, but I don't want to drink strong alcoholic drinks. I've been having a problem with ordering drinks lately, so I usually just have a beer (don't know how good/bad it is). 

Is there any other (healthy) option that I have available when going to the clubs/bars? And is one beer a week bad health decision anyway?

Thanks a lot for you replies in advance. 

Edited by somegirl

I like to bring a bottle of raw milk, or naturally sparkling mineral water, both of which are fun to drink and don't mess you up. But we're quite a nerdy bunch in that we rarely go out to drink alcohol. If your friends aren't terribly insecure, they won't desperately need your approval and push you into drinking alcohol with them.

1 beer per week won't kill you but it's honestly unnecessary. You can mitigate some of the damage if you eat raw cheese/butter 15 minutes beforehand, similar to how the French do with wine.

Be happy with nothing.

Why complicate it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Casually hit DMT over the table, from a meth pipe. xD

Order something you like to drink.

Water is one, if not the best option when it comes to drinks.

Otherwise juice, tea or non alcoholic cocktails.

Be prepared that your friends might not like it (many tend to discourage people from change).

Apparently kratom can be good for socializing. 

Bring some pot. Cant never go wrong with some hash hash while going out. Makes every moment that more memorable. 

Edited by diamondpenguin

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

@somegirl I LOVE ordering a fancy virgin drink when I go out. Look at their cocktail list and see if they can do one without alcohol. Or it doesn't even have to be fancy. Ask for a club soda with a lime and have them give it to you in a glass with a straw(if they first reach for a plastic cup). I like to tip well for special requests like those. 

It makes you feel good about having something nice to drink and you can stay healthy :)

"You Create Magic" 

On 19-6-2021 at 2:15 PM, somegirl said:

Though eat relatively healthy, so I don't want to mess that up. I still want to hang out with my friends since it's fun, but I don't want to drink strong alcoholic drinks. I've been having a problem with ordering drinks lately, so I usually just have a beer (don't know how good/bad it is). 

Is there any other (healthy) option that I have available when going to the clubs/bars? And is one beer a week bad health decision anyway?

For a female one glass of wine/beer per day is okay. Studies have shown that there are actually benefits of having one alcoholic drink per day (for a male 2 glasses per day). If you have a clean plant-based diet you are definitely in the good. Even though I recommend two glasses of wine per week for female, but that's a personal opinion.

Alternatives in clubs: spring water (but can be ridiculously expensive compared to beer, these clubs want to sell beer for some reason) or maybe a cola zero or a tonic.

Edited by Snuitje

3 minutes ago, Snuitje said:

Studies have shown that there are actually benefits of having one alcoholic drink per day (for a male 2 glasses per day).

Don't fool yourself with these "studies".

There is nothing healthy about drinking alcohol daily or even weekly. It's empty calories with no nutrients.

You will get more from a glass of grape juice than a glass of wine.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There is nothing healthy about drinking alcohol daily or even weekly. It's empty calories with no nutrients.

Might not be physically healthy but if someone is anxious all the time and this helps them relax in the end it could be healthy. 

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Be happy with nothing.

Why complicate it?

Well, the rule in these clubs are that if you're there, you have to order something. Otherwise they kick you out.

And besides that, I mean, in social situations, ordering nothing/water is weird, and I know it sounds stupid, but I have to play by the rules. That's why I wanna be sneaky about it and order something that is the most harmless to my body.

16 hours ago, Khr said:

What I do when I go to a bar is I drink a lot of water, that way I can tolerate being at a bar and don’t feel like I am wasting time there as at least I am getting extra hydrated as drinking 2L+ of water during the day can be a challenge. Any other drink you order at a bar will be garbage. Unless they have freshly squeezed juice, herbal or green tea.

What your friends say about you odering water? :P

16 hours ago, Girzo said:

Casually hit DMT over the table, from a meth pipe.

Not really my thing. Haha :D But I'm sure DMT must be great replacement lol. 

16 hours ago, universe said:

Otherwise juice, tea or non alcoholic cocktails.

Be prepared that your friends might not like it (many tend to discourage people from change).

I order beer, that's the most I can tolerate. I never liked the taste of any alcohol ever. 
Non-alcoholic cocktails sound like good alternative.
And yeah, I'm a bit afraid of that too. But if they don't like it, or have a problem with it, I braced myself to not go out anymore. It's become a bit tiring over the years anyway.

Edited by somegirl

12 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

Bring some pot. Cant never go wrong with some hash hash while going out. Makes every moment that more memorable. 

Lol, not my thing at all. Don't even smoke regular cigarettes. 

12 hours ago, Opo said:

Apparently kratom can be good for socializing. 

I don't know what that is. But just a reminder, standard club/pub might not have non-ordinary drinks.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Eating a variety of foods every day that provide one with vitamins and other good stuff should replace empty calories and no nutrients in alcohol that one consumes only one day a week, no?

1 hour ago, somegirl said:

I don't know what that is. But just a reminder, standard club/pub might not have non-ordinary drinks.

Hahha yea they won't have it. 

I was thinking that maybe they don't like you drinking water because you are uptight when sober so if you take something that is good for socializing you could kill two birds with one stone. 

16 hours ago, Khr said:

It doesn’t matter what they say when I know I am in the right here. I just sit on my high horse counting their wrinkles and looking at their yellow stained teeth. If all your friends were to punch themselves on the face all the time, would you punch yourself too because you don’t want to be the “weird one”?

You can start a trend where it’s cool not to drink, but rather be healthy and look hot. Maybe eventually you could even start hanging out at better places than just a bar and have friendships that are more meaningful so that you don’t need alcohol to be able to tolerate each other’s company. 

You are still young so you may not notice how it effects your body, but trust me, when your friends reach even their early 30th you will be able to see the effects of alcohol on their face. There is nothing worse than alcohol really - it is absolutely not just empty calories. Especially if most of the time you eat healthy that one beer is like double poison for you because your body is not used to it.  

I like that you have that attitude and stand behind that principle. I think I might be able to pull that off too, just to stand my ground when I decide not to drink. And be fine whatever happens.

Just to clerify, we don't exactly "drink to tolerate each other's company". We do a lot of stuff together, not just go to clubs. But yeah, maybe when I start making changes like these, they won't be able to follow up on that and I might distance myself from them. Or not. Whatever happens happens. I just go with the flow. 

Edited by somegirl

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If someone has to make a change in their diet/lifestyle then I don't recommend any alcohol. If someone has their shit in order and wants to have a drink then I don't see any problem with it. As long as it's not binging or mixing shots and whatnot. Will this one or two glasses affect their health significantly? Barely. Even less if this person is smart and drinks 0,3L - 0,5L of water after every glass. 

Will you get more from a grape juice than a glass of wine? I think scientifically they both have some benefits and both have some cons. From an objective point, I wouldn't rule wine out as bad. No doubt grape juice will win with the most benefits, but I think the (red)wine is not far off all things considered. 

Hi my name is Arcangelo and I am an alcoholic. On December I will be 10 years sober

On 6/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, somegirl said:

Well, the rule in these clubs are that if you're there, you have to order something. Otherwise they kick you out.

Here is your problem. You are hanging out at the wrong places.

EFF those clubs man!

On 6/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, somegirl said:

What your friends say about you odering water?

How good is that MDMA/LSD/Both bruh?

On 6/20/2021 at 9:58 AM, somegirl said:

I braced myself to not go out anymore. It's become a bit tiring over the years anyway.

You are definitely in the process of realizing that clubbing SUCKS

On 6/20/2021 at 11:36 AM, Khr said:

Maybe eventually you could even start hanging out at better places than just a bar and have friendships that are more meaningful so that you don’t need alcohol to be able to tolerate each other’s company. 

Yeap. She is slowly doing that. So slow she doesn't even realize.