OneIntoOne

Do you need to be smart to awaken?

15 posts in this topic

Do you need to be smart or extra smart to awaken?

Can someone stupid wake up?

What would someone stupid mean? that is very relative.

I guess what  character traits must someone have or not have.

Animals can have awakenings, that should be enough to answer your question.

Intelligence is often a barrier to awakening, because an intelligent brain excels at creating elaborate mental models which the mind then mistakes for truth.  Awakening doesn't require any thinking or processing at all, infact it requires a transcendance of those acts.

You don't need high IQ to do effective spiritual work. You need wisdom.

No, but what seems to help is being empty of concepts about what awakening is, and a willingness or openness to do just that.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I think you need a modicum of intelligence, but you don't need to be Einstein. What's much more important, in my opinion, are the qualities of self-awareness and self-honesty, which aren't qualities that seem to come particularly easily even to many spiritual seekers, it seems.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

I think you need some intelligence so as not to get lost in false paths, dogmas. although many high iq people get lost in them. It is a type of honesty, as @RickyFitts said, that allows you to Let the false away, and the courage to undo any mental anchor

It can be a huge hindrance but also helps a lot too.

If you're very wise and intelligent, you're lucky.
If you're wise and have an average intelligence, you're good to go.

If you're not wise and intelligent, maybe after years/decades of suffering you'll finally wise up and lose the mental masturbation
If you're not wise and not intelligent, you're fucked spiritually wise

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Do u need to be smart to take a shit?

How much intelligence do u need to be? To be the be? For being is the source of intelligence. It may be necessary a bit to understand the basics, but anyone who doesn't shit it's pants is good to go. This is not rocket sciencie, this is about love, conciousness and truth. For they are simple as the laugh of a child and universal as the breath.

How much time does it take u to be your Self? What distance u have to travel? What do u have to do/not do? For it is not a thing u accomplish is a thing that is know and u are trying to take out all the bullshit that does not allow u to see what is already here and now, what u are, Your true Self.

No. Awakening is too immediate to be known, but becomes apparent when all other knowing has ceased.

11 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

How much time does it take u to be your Self? What distance u have to travel? What do u have to do/not do? For it is not a thing u accomplish is a thing that is know and u are trying to take out all the bullshit that does not allow u to see what is already here and now, what u are, Your true Self.

You're right, but human nature makes it easy to be deceived. the fear of rejection is great. and human society is full of claims, of false paths to happiness. it is easy to fall into them, and when you internalize them are imprinted on the person, it is difficult to go back. intelligence is needed, or a lot of luck

@Breakingthewall

20 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

You're right, but human nature makes it easy to be deceived. the fear of rejection is great. and human society is full of claims, of false paths to happiness. it is easy to fall into them, and when you internalize them are imprinted on the person, it is difficult to go back. intelligence is needed, or a lot of luck

Thats what i felt.

To unlearn debunk and deconstruct the patterns of 30 years i need to be able to think in a certain way.

But from the other end no intelligence is needed to stop using the mind...

Tricky.

On 7.6.2021 at 9:41 PM, Snader said:

You don't need high IQ to do effective spiritual work. You need wisdom.

Yep.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

You need to be smart enough to realize *you* are not the smart one even if you are. 

13 hours ago, BlackMaze said:

You need to be smart enough to realize *you* are not the smart one even if you are. 

Modesty. I like that!

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.