Gianna

Teal Swan

38 posts in this topic

I was tracking really well on my spiritual journey and when I started to listen to Teal Swan I feel like it completely fucked me up. For anyone who knows her work thoroughly, what is it really about? It is a place for spiritual newbies or does her emotional healing emphasis hold weight on becoming fully enlightened? 

I have realized no self and oneness, but her concepts distract me from them as they pull me back into my personal history, personality, etc. But at the same time, I may have unresolved 'trauma' idk. We all have trauma, but how do we know if they are still, "running the show"? 

Edited by Gianna

@Gianna  girl, I'd say don't listen to Teal Swan for the time being. Her content can be good but kinda intense for newbies.

Listen to less famous YouTube content where it's just random person talking about stuff  that relates to your life by typing your questions into YouTube.

Love and hugs to you.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Great book is called towards a psychology of awakening... Finding the balance between horiziontal (personality, relationships, etc) vs Vertical growth (spiritual awakening) is important. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

You know if you're suffering, engaging in thoughts patterns that perpetuate the suffering. Unfelt, avoided, stored emotions have to be released by being felt, not by thinking about them. (The distinction falls apart, but don't try to DO it or make it happen.) Invite, open to it, follow your own intuition and what feels good to you. 

6 minutes ago, Gianna said:

It is a place for spiritual newbies or does her 'emotional healing' emphasis hold weight on becoming fully enlightened? 

The "newbie" vs "fully enlightened" narrative feeds into the repression of emotions. If we think that certain feelings and revisiting certain subjects are backwards or childish and otherwise off limits, we hold on to them rather than releasing them and they continue to drive us. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

5 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

The "newbie" vs "fully enlightened" narrative feeds into the repression of emotions. If we think that certain feelings and revisiting certain subjects are backwards or childish and otherwise off limits, we hold on to them rather than releasing them and they continue to drive us. 

?

8 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Gianna  Her content can be good but kinda intense for newbies.

I get everything she says. I've studied psychology, philosophy, and spirituality for a while. I'm just wondering if her work is necessary for me. It seems like it's creating more problems for me right now. In other words, I wasn't suffering and after listening to her I feel like I must be suffering haha like in a way I can't realize because it's "subconscious". I get repressed feelings and emotions, but I also just feel like I am creating problems. I guess it's because I listen to all videos even if it's not relevant to me and then I like self-diagnose. I don't feel like I have any suffering in my life. 

@Gianna yea that can be a problem I can see how it can create unnecessary psychological diagnosis.

Don't listen to her content in that case .

There are lots of random YouTube channels that can be super helpful. Keep exploring.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

11 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Finding the balance between horizontal (personality, relationships, etc) vs Vertical growth (spiritual awakening) is important. 

Finding the balance is exactly what I need! I'll definitely be checking this book out. Thank you! 

39 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

don't try to DO it or make it happen. Invite, open to it, follow your own intuition and what feels good to you. 

Okay this helps. Maybe I'm trying too hard to feel something and that is why I can't feel anything. 

39 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

I didn't mean for the distinction of  "newbie" and "enlightened" judgemental; I just know that Teal references the spiritual community as people who are hurting/suffering. So I labeled someone who feels suffering and pain as a 'newbie' but that was probably a wrong assumption. 

Anyway, I don't feel that revisiting these subjects or feelings are childish, I appreciate doing it! Taking care of myself is something I love to do and I do it by listening to her and taking on these practices even if I think it doesn't apply to me. Because really, if it's subconscious then how would you know which exercises you need? I try all of them on for size.

But how do we know if that is what we need? In other words, at what point do we know we are healed? This is why I used the term 'enlightened' when I guess I should've used the word 'healed'. 

Edited by Gianna

37 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

There are lots of random YouTube channels that can be super helpful. Keep exploring.

Thanks! :) I don't really need anything in particular, I just like to see what different channels are about. Their approach. It seems like Teal is heavy on re-integration. Integrating splits in consciousness, finding needs, healing emotional body, etc.

What is your experience with her channel? 

29 minutes ago, Gianna said:

In other words, at what point do we know we are healed? This is why I used the term 'enlightened' when I guess I should've used the word 'healed'. 

When there's just no thought or feeling that something isn't right I guess. 

Maybe consider checking out Abraham Hicks, she has incredible deep teachings on emotional intelligence that seem to magically bring things up and out on their own without aiming at it or trying to at all. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, Gianna said:

I was tracking really well on my spiritual journey and when I started to listen to Teal Swan I feel like it completely fucked me up. For anyone who knows her work thoroughly, what is it really about? It is a place for spiritual newbies or does her emotional healing emphasis hold weight on becoming fully enlightened? 

I have realized no self and oneness, but her concepts distract me from them as they pull me back into my personal history, personality, etc. But at the same time, I may have unresolved 'trauma' idk. We all have trauma, but how do we know if they are still, "running the show"? 

Good question about trauma/history. How much are we making up? How much is real? 

Drawing lines between your nature and environment can feel meaningless. Whatever the medium and mechanism, inheritance between family seems to be something that exists. I can see some patterns I share with, other patterns formed in rebellion to, my parents. 

_ _ _ 
Practically speaking, it's probably a good idea or quite important to look at your trauma. I still don't understand my own, partly because of my DPDR which prevents me from relating to my past self easily. But even if my actual tangible memory of details is gone, I have emotional memory for how I felt during phases of my life.

I've often felt the bottom line to be this. Regardless of how I conceptualise what caused what, what steps I should take, how I should overcome my problems, mostly remains the same overall. Opening up to emotional blockages, looking at my experience right now

And if there are people in life you have unresolved grudges and hang ups with, it can often be helpful to talk to (or confront) such people. What do you have to lose? I've done this with a few people. It was definitely worthwhile. 

Maybe I've overlooked this issue of resolving trauma when it could be what's needed 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I personally find that she is quite good for either newbies or advanced people, however, if you’re noticing overwhelming situations arise, please slow down with whatever teacher it is or even spirituality in general. 

There should be no rush to awaken or grow in other ways unless that is what you truly think is best for the whole of your life. 

With Teal, you’re going to get way more info on certain spiritual topics which Leo hardly focuses on. For example, if you want to learn more about psychic or other paranormal phenomena, you’ll find way more there. This seems trivial to many people here possibly, but I can attest that it is most absolutely not something that is a distraction or trivial. There are many other things she covers which are important though. 

The personal sacrifices one makes in the pursuit of the Truth are proportional to one’s level of Realization. 

I'd say her work is geared towards a integrative approach where people are trying to integrate parts of themselves through things like shadow work rather than a transcendent approach where you're trying to transcend parts of you. 

Personally, I got a lot of benefit from this. Integrating the ego and making it whole makes it safer for transcendence because transcending things prematurely can lead to things like creating shadows of repression, which wouldn't be helpful in the path and can lead to a lot of dysfunction. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

1 hour ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I can attest that it is most absolutely not something that is a distraction or trivial.

Okay! I love hearing your and everyone's perspective. I thought Leo's work was heavy on concept, but she is just a giant waterfall of concept just pouring out everywhere. I'm not overwhelmed with the way I am feeling physically, emotionally, or mentally. But her concepts are disorienting. It makes me wonder, is this much concept spiritual? I had less of a monkey mind before listening to her haha. But I love and appreciate her wisdom! I guess it just seems unproductive to me right now? Idk! I wanted to get everyone's opinion which is great so many people are responding :) 

I think you're right about the importance of the concepts she covers. Maybe I should just be aware of them, instead of taking all of them on.

Edited by Gianna

1 hour ago, soos_mite_ah said:

making it whole makes it safer for transcendence because transcending things prematurely can lead to things like creating shadows of repression, which wouldn't be helpful in the path and can lead to a lot of dysfunction. 

Oh yes! I have heard this from other spiritual teachers like Matt Kahn. He mentioned something similar to you; about how if you don't bring your inner child with you in your transcendence weird things will surface. 

1 hour ago, lmfao said:

Opening up to emotional blockages,

I think this is key! :) Thank you. 

@Gianna i love teal swan. she has really solid relationship advice. 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

8 hours ago, Gianna said:

I started to listen to Teal Swan I feel like it completely fucked me up.

How so?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Great book is called towards a psychology of awakening... Finding the balance between horiziontal (personality, relationships, etc) vs Vertical growth (spiritual awakening) is important. 

John Welwood?