electroBeam

Critique Of Leo's Projection Video

28 posts in this topic

Leo if you didn't make projections onto your audience, and other people, there's a good chance you wouldn't have a successful personal development business up and running right now.

Nearly(if not all) videos you post have some form of blatant projection, and in fact its a core requirement for you to produce videos that are meaningful to your audience.

For example, in your beginner's guide to meditation, you made a projection that your audience wouldn't have the ability to meditate for more than 20 minutes at a time,

In your video about breaking down 'shoulds and shouldn'ts' you made a massive projection about your audience. You said something along the lines of "you guys make these shoulds hundreds of times per day".

In your 'get shit done' video you made a massive projection about how your audience is "lazy" or along the lines of that

and the list continues onto infinity.....

In fact, you made some many ad hominems in your videos, that I began to subconsciously believe that projections were actually necessary to make effective PD content

How can you as an individual refer to your audience without making projections, sometimes projections are extremely useful especially if you are trying to persuade someone to do something.

In fact, the next video you make, will probably be filled with heaps of projections again, whether its about how we are all deep down letting ourselves become spiritual egoists, or falely convincing ourselves that we don't have time for meditation when we actually do, or whatever video your making. 

Your latest video seems more like a mindless reaction to Rali's attack than a video you would normally release. <- and yes that is a projection, but not one I believe or disbelieve, just a sentence that helps illustrates the point of this post.

Edited by electroBeam

Where in the video did Leo say that he isn't making projections himself?

I think that Leo's point is that projections stop us from fully learning and entertaining ideas from teachers and mentors.

About Leo's projections, I see them as chances for us to realize the level of personal development we're at and to take action. These projections are meant to spark the light-bulb in us that we're doing something not beneficial and that there's a chance to grow.

Yes I've noticed this too. I think that Leo is targeting a certain niche audience which is perhaps a clever and strategic business decision. Many of the so called "projections" I don't relate to at all and others I can. I just basically take from the videos what resonates with me and ignore what doesn't.

Wisdom is settling in and experiencing reality in the moment.

11 minutes ago, Afonso said:

I think that Leo's point is that projections stop us from fully learning and entertaining ideas from teachers and mentors.

About Leo's projections, I see them as chances for us to realize the level of personal development we're at and to take action. These projections are meant to spark the light-bulb in us that we're doing something not beneficial and that there's a chance to grow.

Yes but it only speaks  to a certain audience. It presumes something that is not true for everybody watching.  Many of the videos seem targeted at very young people. People with less life experience, wisdom and knowledge. This is a great thing for those people but it kind of ignores that the entire audience is not necessarily like that.

Edited by Xpansion

3 minutes ago, Xpansion said:

Yes but it only speaks  to a certain audience. It presumes something that is not true for everybody watching.

Isn't that the purpose of his videos? To target a certain audience? A psychopath is not going to watch the video on how to stop pleasing other people. We all have different paths, and Leo's videos have different subjects that might interest one group of people and not other.

Edited by Afonso

I think this is a very relevant episode seeing all these projections about Leo here on this forum.

Literally everyone is projecting in some form or another and if you claim you do not, you are simply not conscious of it yet.

Instead of taking some things in this video as a personal attack that "you" have to stop doing projections, see it as a friendly attempt to make you conscious of it so you can start working on it.

Edited by Ape

4 minutes ago, Afonso said:

Isn't that the purpose of his videos? To target a certain audience? A psychopath is not going to watch the video on how to stop pleasing other people. We all have different paths, and Leo's videos have different subjects that might interest one group of people and not other.

It's more the overall style that is targeting the niche, not the individual videos. It kind of ignores the fact that many other people not in that niche may be watching.

2 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Your latest video seems more like a mindless reaction to Rali's attack than a video you would normally release. <- and yes that is a projection, but not one I believe or disbelieve, just a sentence that helps illustrates the point of this post.

Since the psychedelic videos I've seen a lot of criticism here on the forum on @Leo Gura's approach to things and the direction he takes Actualized.org. And I think it's important to talk about that, no question about it. Then @Rali came up with his videos and the whole thing blew up into very, very ambitious discussions. Honestly, Azrael loves this shit because it's just way to much fun, but I can see why Leo doesn't want that to happen here. And that should be respected.

Of course does Leo project meanings onto things in his videos. Everybody does and if you want to communicate to somebody effectively you will project your meanings and ambitions onto things. You will use your attitude to get a message across to a certain audience. And if the audience is intelligent, it notices that and lets it happen so that it can have a shift in perspective, to see things in a new way. Every good teacher does this.

And me personally, I have some differences with Leo's approach to things. I also have differences how Alan Watts did his thing, how Mooji looks, how Matt Khan talks, how I go about my own shit. And that's fine. Would be very uninteresting if everything would fit. And I respect every attitude that a spiritual teacher or student brings about, because I know from experience that it will change dozens if not hundreds of times throughout the whole journey. One time, your will be very passionate about your opinions and want others to see it exactly that way. Another time, you may see how things just happen and how you really cannot do much to change this. This is the journey, getting intimate with all of reality.

So please see through the shells that the spiritual teachers wear and suck the good shit out of what they are talking about. Because they all point to the same thing, with thousands of different approaches and stories. And your task is to find that god damn thing, and have a good laugh.

And lastly, if I'm honest with you guys, in all of the discussions on Leo's approach and the topics he investigates I also had very strong opinions some times that I wanted to express. I sometimes wrote half page of a comment and then hit delete for one very reason: Leo and Alan Watts mainly brought me to the place where I'm now - and I'm at a fucking good place right now - and when I see that Leo goes off in a direction I am not interested anymore I might stop listening to his videos - although I cannot think of a scenario how this shall happen because it just gets more interesting for me - but even if that happens I simply cannot deny where these people brought me already and that's basically why I keep my mouth shut and respect their journey.

Cheers

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

2 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Leo if you didn't make projections onto your audience, and other people, there's a good chance you wouldn't have a successful personal development business up and running right now.

This sais it all no? Remember that his business is psychology. Steve Jobs once said...'people don't know what they want, you have to show them what they want'. You have to create a demand for your product. Maybe that's an interesting topic for a vid. 'The psychology of marketing and how you get owned by it' ;) . This is not a critique btw, i'm glad there are people like Leo who study psychology deeply and make us aware of the mechanics of it. I simply don't have the time (and willingness) to go and sift out all the gems and wisdom myself.

@electroBeam

In what universe, it is of any importance how Leo is doing things himself in his personal life. He is providing value. That is all he is doing. He gives you information, and it is up to you what to do with it. It's not your place to argue with him, you may give suggestions, but go on full out hate mode like this, what the heck =D. 
Teachers give you information for free. How are you not infinitely grateful for such oportunities? 

edit: Pick what resonates with you, and leave out the things you don't find useful or interesting. Everyone resonates with different things, everyone has their own way, perspective and path. Don't ben an asshole who disrupts the paths of others just because your path seems different to you.

edit2.: And the fact that he made this projection video regarding recent events with @Rali n stuff, only shows that he cares for us not to go into the wrong direction. If you see your child, fighting with it's sibling for some petty little reason, you might give him some lecture right there about what actually matters in life. The reason you did that in that moment was that he was fighting and doing nonsense. Does that diminsh the value of your lesson as a father to your son? No! Does that matter in the long run, let's say year, or 5 years from that moment? Hell no! 

Edited by Martin123

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

@Azrael Thank you for this. 'Love your signature too.

And, guys, here's what Leo's job is : To talk in front of a camera. That's all he's doing. He's just sharing insights. And, yes, these are deep insights about life. But they come to you in the form of an idea, because we can't communicate any better.

Today, he explained this very topic. Notice how @electroBeam projected his problem onto Leo, and that's preventing him from learning, which is exactly what Leo said.

You can still do projections, but if you do it with awareness, you might find that they're limiting your growth. Or maybe not ? Who knows ?

26 minutes ago, Tancrede Pouyat said:

Love your signature too.

Thanks, my whole persona "Azrael" + the signature is inspired by Army of the Pharaohs' song Azrael. I loved this. :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Didnt watch the video.

But projections are needed to navigate this world. Try drinking water without projecting its existance.

None the less Leo runs a business. Only he knows his motives. But we are getting free stuff so dont realy have a right to complain. We ofcourse can voice our opinions.

All I said, was that I think projections are necessary in life, and that Leo's point that projections are 'bad' is not correct, and everyone turned what I was saying into 'hate speech' and 'a problem with me'... maybe Leo is right.

and @Martin123 I'll argue with whoever I disagree with :), there's no American hierarchial respect matrix in my non-American brain.

@Tancrede Pouyat I'm just curious, what problem did I project? 

9 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

and @Martin123 I'll argue with whoever I disagree with :), there's no American hierarchial respect matrix in my non-American brain.

I won't even try to describe how many problems this will create in your life. What do you mean American and non-American... holy fuck xD How many things do you identify yourself with? =D Aw man, I love you. Hugs from me to wherever you are.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

8 hours ago, Azrael said:

Leo and Alan Watts mainly brought me to the place where I'm now - and I'm at a fucking good place right now.

@Azrael This was epic! I cannot even compare the person who I am now with a person who I was last year. I do not want to be sentimental here, but I have all of it from Leo, and I appreciate him for whatever he has brought into my life so far.

I REALLY hope he continues this journey and continues to share his insights with us!   

Edited by Self-Mastery

This video has some great insights into criticism and projections.