tatsumaru

Are we supposed to be depressed at times?

19 posts in this topic

Are we supposed to be depressed at times or is all depression a symptom of some sort of disease be it psychological, spiritual or physiological? Is there any value to depression whatsoever? Thanks.

In my experience, a more depressive episode tends to be a catalyst for growth, as it naturally promotes introspection, and helps me get some distance from daily affairs. I tend to think of it as caused by me ignoring something for too long, that would have needed tending to, that I'm now forced to look into.

If you are clinically depressed though, get help asap.

36 minutes ago, loub said:

In my experience, a more depressive episode tends to be a catalyst for growth, as it naturally promotes introspection, and helps me get some distance from daily affairs. I tend to think of it as caused by me ignoring something for too long, that would have needed tending to, that I'm now forced to look into.

If you are clinically depressed though, get help asap.

How do you know if you are clinically depressed? And what kind of help is there anyway, I am not taking these shit drugs that tell my body to feel differently despite the fact I hold the same beliefs, neuroses, mindsets and live in the same circumstances.

Edited by tatsumaru

There are tests that doctors use, which gives an outcome on a scale. Being clinically depressed is no joke, it can be a life-threatening mental health condition. Medication helps many people get through the day, it has its uses.

Of course everyone is a little depressed from time to time. It is a moment where you have lost the connection with your joy that usually sustains you. It can be good, if used as a spur to do some introspection, and usually it goes away on its own after a good nights sleep.

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

It's natural, like the hatching of eggs, or changing of weather.

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

20 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

Are we supposed to be depressed at times or is all depression a symptom of some sort of disease be it psychological, spiritual or physiological? Is there any value to depression whatsoever? Thanks.

Depression is a term we invented to describe how we still haven't gotten our shit together and we don't understand ourselves enough to get it together. Outside of that its legitimate suffering people are experiencing, PTSD, CPTSD, a whole host of other mental conditions that make depression all the more likely. Regardless, all involves getting shit together.

negative self image = negative view of the world  Positive self image = positive view of the world. 

Once again I think it all comes down to your upbringing and who you are/were surrounded by.  You catch the world views of your parents and peers unconsciously.  Anxious parent passes the anxiety onto the child. 

Yes It's completely OK and normal to feel sad emotions and not be on top of the world 24/7.  It's ok to be angry or feel alone or hurt.

But pessimism and having a negative view of yourself and the world comes from the inner void. People who usually have a positive outlook on life got plenty of love and attention as a kid, so they see the world differently, they don't have a void. they have a positive self image so therefore they see the world through a different set of eyes.  I wonder is it even possible to totally rid yourself of the negative self image once you have it.  yes I can work on many things and be a better person but the bad self image is still there deep down. :( 

21 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

Give praise to his holy name. Feed the spirit with proper food and you will sing dance laugh cry and speak in the spirit in your room like you did as a kid. Instantly your depression will be lifted. https://youtu.be/Xx1MjhzKcYw

@Peter124 @tatsumaru  If you do not spit out non duality and Pokemon from you what lies ahead will be worse than that which preceded it. You can't hide or run away from God. Every knee will bow and confess Jesus is Lord on judgement day. Heaven or hell your choice.

@Evil Raccoon

Why do you say that? I'll report you to Leo if you don't quit this idiotic behavior. 

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Evil Raccoon Stay the hell away from me and don't reply to me again, or I'll report you.

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Evil Raccoon I've reported you you little punk. You're probably about as smart as that racoon... :D

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

It's normal to feel sad, stressed or frustrated at times. 

But prolonged sadness leads to depression which isn't that normal.

Thanks @Natasha for dealing with this person. :)

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@tatsumaru It deepens on degree. Feeling down at times is normal, yet if it’s in the dumps everyday for months straight with no moments of good feelings - its a more serious condition. 

the phases of the moon 

just passing appearances 

sometimes we get stuck to one and through growth we learn how to shake away from them