28 cm unbuffed

Equipment for YouTube channel

15 posts in this topic

Hi!

Some time ago, I started my journey with an YouTube channel, it's something really great, that I truly enjoy!

My main struggle right now is the gear, that I'm using at the moment - it's simply built in camera and microphone in my laptop. I would love to change that, but my budget is limited, so these are my options: 

1. Buy a phone that would be my camera and microphone for some time - I just don't want to waste any time NOT creating videos and improving my skillset as videomaker. The phone I was thinking about is Google Pixel 4 5G (about 400$ dollars, which is my investing budget per month). 

2. Buy a microphone for now (Blue Yeti I think, about 100-150$), and save the rest of investment fund for next month and then buy some high quality camera. I am just not sure, if buying high quality gear (I mean something mobile, that I can use for years) is possible at that cost (about <500$). 

There are also a lot of investments when it comes to stock subscriptions - Premiere Pro, Audible and one of image stocks). 

Is there anyone experienced enough with these things to help me out? 

What kind of strategy would you guys use?

Thank you a lot for your kind answers!

You can save money by buying used cameras and mics on eBay or craigslist.

You definitely need a good external mic.

The nice thing about this equipment is that you can always resell it if you don't end up needing it. It holds its value pretty well.

You can find some real deals on heavily used/refurbished gear if you wait around and shop around.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Your first mic can be Boya M1, it costs $15 and is way better than anything built-in. It's a lavalier mic, so it might still be useful to you, even after you buy a proper mic.

I would love to know the external mic you use @Leo Gura it’s amazing quality! A real difference from your earlier videos back in 2013 etc 

2 hours ago, Thetruthseeker said:

I would love to know the external mic you use

It's a $1000 mic

Overkill for normies.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

15 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

Hi!

Some time ago, I started my journey with an YouTube channel, it's something really great, that I truly enjoy!

My main struggle right now is the gear, that I'm using at the moment - it's simply built in camera and microphone in my laptop. I would love to change that, but my budget is limited, so these are my options: 

1. Buy a phone that would be my camera and microphone for some time - I just don't want to waste any time NOT creating videos and improving my skillset as videomaker. The phone I was thinking about is Google Pixel 4 5G (about 400$ dollars, which is my investing budget per month). 

2. Buy a microphone for now (Blue Yeti I think, about 100-150$), and save the rest of investment fund for next month and then buy some high quality camera. I am just not sure, if buying high quality gear (I mean something mobile, that I can use for years) is possible at that cost (about <500$). 

There are also a lot of investments when it comes to stock subscriptions - Premiere Pro, Audible and one of image stocks). 

Is there anyone experienced enough with these things to help me out? 

What kind of strategy would you guys use?

Thank you a lot for your kind answers!

I've just seen your channel. As you are already shooting on a smartphone. I'd say you stick to it.

Better investment would be the lighting and the foreground, background. Just experiment on different lights and watch tutorials how to setup. According to me Lightening plays an important role. 

Coming to mic, you can invest on a decent mic for now and make sure you sound proof the surroundings. Smartphone mic is very good now a days but if you're away from the phone while shooting it'll be bad. If you have another smartphone lying around just try and see it's mic. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's a $1000 mic

no wonder why lately there is click sound heard when u move notes on telepromter, i dont remember hearing it on your old videos. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Invest all in audio.

If you only want 1080p resolution you can use davinci resolve, it's free.

Why do you need audible?

@Leo Gura well I have the money for a new mic so would love to know what you use 

I’m guessing the sennheiser mkh 416? 

I see your video. As a photographer and videographer I recommend you to upgrade your lighting and audio first. And the last upgrade is the camera because your pixel is actually already have beautiful camera. Just make sure you have sufficient lighting so it wont make a lot of image noise (your last video). Phone camera have very small sensor so lighting is very important. You can buy lightbox and diffuser. Make sure you dont have a back light very much, the viewers wont watch your full video if its distracting.

I recommend you take lighting gear from Aperture, it cheap and have really good quality.

I dont have vary experience with sound management. I use Boya M1 and its really good so far. My voice recorded with Boya M1 is bit more bass in the good way. So far all Boya product that I ever use is good for value.

I use an iphone 11pro, selfie stick w/tripod base and I have an external mic for the phone.

Does literally everything I need and it's my smartphone. Entire setup around $1150. 

This set up right here does 99% of everything. 

The options you listed are good to get started. Start now, improve later. I started with just a $50 mic and cheap camera and was able to have success.

Edited by Wyeth

@Wyeth

Yup, you're 100% right, that's also what I'm doing right now - building discipline, creating a habit of daily creation, and posting on YouTube. 

Btw - I think I'll start with buying lightning, my laptop camera is not that bad and lightning will make me able to shot whenever I want.