Frylock

Lil Nas X's Satan shoes triggers the conservatives

13 posts in this topic

But let's be real. An out and proud, anti-Christian gay black man is what's really triggering these conservatives.

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1376245938226798594

I mean a freaking governor criticizing him, really? For what? Twerking on Satan in a music video? Why do Americans still see the devil as like... Some magical anti-God who can rival God's powers and overtake him if he gets enough followers? Why do we still have this magical thinking? Satan isn't some horned beast and God isn't some bearded sky man.

All this to say that I enjoy an attack on the conservative's view on God taking center stage. More of this, please.

Hypocritically, it's okay when metalheads glorify this foolish idea of the devil. But when it's a gay black rapper, nuh-uh, no sir. Attack on everything that is holy.

This might get into conspiracy theory territory but I often wondered why rappers or mainstream artists in general promote this sort of stuff. Conspiracy theorists may say they're all part of a secret group like the Illuminati, worship the devil and are selling their soul for money and all that which may be true? Who knows, but sometimes I think they do this to just create controversy. Controversy is what gets people talking about it and acts as a marketing tactic, which then sells records/products. In this case they got a governor talking about it which creates even more exposure for the product and the rapper.

Nothing new though, mainstream rappers/musicians were always subtle about promoting 666, devil worship, triangles, illuminati, etc. Although, Lil Nas X is going over the top with it and created a whole entire shoe making it obvious.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

Who knows, but sometimes I think they do this to just create controversy.

I think this is it. They are petty. Being an arrogant atheist or "anti christian" in this case is a sign of immaturity. The artist might have grown in a strict christian family and never got over that edgy atheist phase some of us have when we are teens, and now he wallows in resentment against religion so much so that it has become a part of his personality. Its even beneficial to their careers since like you said, it creates media controversy and gets those edgy teenagers to idolize them. They love riling up christians because... Well, trolling is fun. Making people you resent angry is soo much fun! And in this case, really easy.

@Frylock

You could add to the opening post that the shoes actually contain human blood and that Nike has sued the designer for trademark infrigtion. Those might be a bigger part of the controversy than him being gay black man.

Edited by Hansu

"Nike is suing the creators of the Lil Nas X 'Satan Shoes'."

"Nike wants a federal judge to order the destruction of the shoes."

"Nike is also ordering that any profits made from the shoe be awarded to them."

Is Nike a conservative company xD

Conservatives being scared of the monsters under their bed, what else is new. Maybe its their own reflection they are seeing...?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I feel like this is cyclical and happens every single decade with society.  Lady Gaga was one, Madonna, Eminem, Marilyn Manson, etc etc.  Nothing new here.  

16 hours ago, Frylock said:

All this to say that I enjoy an attack on the conservative's view on God taking center stage. More of this, please.

Hypocritically, it's okay when metalheads glorify this foolish idea of the devil. But when it's a gay black rapper, nuh-uh, no sir. Attack on everything that is holy.

Conservatives do not appreciate heavy metal using Satan as a countercultural symbol.

16 hours ago, Hansu said:

I think this is it. They are petty. Being an arrogant atheist or "anti christian" in this case is a sign of immaturity.

Maybe so, but he's an entertainer and the goal for a person like him is to draw attention.

It's amusing that the right is horrified by censorship and cancel culture and people being overly sensitive. Until it's something that they disagree with, then they're back to being the puritanical soccer moms. Like the stupid Republican governor Kristi Noem. How about attacking the voter supression laws passed in Georgia instead of some dude twerking on Satan.

7 hours ago, Frylock said:

Maybe so, but he's an entertainer and the goal for a person like him is to draw attention.

It's amusing that the right is horrified by censorship and cancel culture and people being overly sensitive. Until it's something that they disagree with, then they're back to being the puritanical soccer moms. Like the stupid Republican governor Kristi Noem. How about attacking the voter supression laws passed in Georgia instead of some dude twerking on Satan.

Watch out, you are demonizing half the population of USA. Many different beliefs and views fit into those 160 million people. Some of them even love censorship and cancel culture, its their way up the pecking order.

Besides, devoted christians have always been babies throwing a fit 9_9

I would believe that it is to create controversy and there are probably plenty who do it for that , or they are just told to do it, but signalling has been done long before there was any controversy about such topics , or rather long before there were that many people to even know about such stuff, so who knows why symbolism is being used since forever. 

Lil Nas is a very edgy and knew how conservatives would react to this. I don't see him actually being a devil worshiper and not that it matters either way. He's been planning the release of this song for months and knows how to use internet memes to spread his songs.

We all know what the devil is, but conservatives are of the mindset that the devil is an actual entity that can infect people like a virus and not just the absence of God.