DefinitelyNotARobot

What is the difference between suppressing and letting go?

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

I just had such a soul breaking 5-meo trip. It put me my shame/fear in front of me, it was so difficult to surrender to myself.

The interesting thing about a not enough dose of 5 meo is that even if it does not free you, it makes you see the chains that bind you, the attachment to yourself. When I see that I realize how difficult it is to break free(without psychedelic), how solid the chains are, but above all how we make them solid with our daily decisions. Maybe with discipline could be possible. 

good luck on the next ego dissolution!

49 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

The interesting thing about a not enough dose of 5 meo is that even if it does not free you, it makes you see the chains that bind you, the attachment to yourself. When I see that I realize how difficult it is to break free(without psychedelic), how solid the chains are, but above all how we make them solid with our daily decisions. Maybe with discipline could be possible. 

good luck on the next ego dissolution!

Thanks fam ? much love to you ?

1 hour ago, Breakingthewall said:

In terms of personal development, this seems to be one of the fundamental values of spiritual work. It can provide temporary freedom and transcendence. This provides contrast when the person returns and all the baggage and chains are re-installed. This can come through 5-Meo, a meditation/yoga retreat, breath work and even a vacation. There is a temporary ‘leaving’ of the personal conditioning and personal story. Yet as you suggest, that breaking free can be difficult as we re-enforce personal conditioning through our patterns of social contact, behavior and internal dialog. 

It is actually easy to check.

Letting go feels like you do not care, suppressing hurts. 

Letting go is freedom and ease. 

Suppressing is a prison and dependency, it is heavy. 

Ultimately, these two concepts feel different "inside". 

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

1 hour ago, Forestluv said:

In terms of personal development, this seems to be one of the fundamental values of spiritual work. It can provide temporary freedom and transcendence. This provides contrast when the person returns and all the baggage and chains are re-installed. This can come through 5-Meo, a meditation/yoga retreat, breath work and even a vacation. There is a temporary ‘leaving’ of the personal conditioning and personal story. Yet as you suggest, that breaking free can be difficult as we re-enforce personal conditioning through our patterns of social contact, behavior and internal dialog. 

@Forestluv I get what you are saying. Yet this was radically different.

I'm relatively "used to" to have increase of awareness in psychedelics where I can see myself as a free being (aka, Consciousness). From those explorations, then yeah, it's true that afterwards, you can see how you again construct or buy into the pattern of being X person (for example, a anxious person, after a mystical experience, might see more clearly afterwards how his awareness "chooses" certain thoughts that resonates with the identity of an anxious person).

However, what happened in this 5-meo trip was so different. One of the situations that my ego feared the most (A kind of an irrational fear related to my psychological fears) was presented as an "actuality". It was like that situation was happening. Or in other words, I couldn't remember if that situation has happened in the past or not. (I think the situation happened as "pure potencial" and that's why it seemed so real). So in a state of super-awareness fear presented so intensely. 

It has leaved me deeply confused. Because the previous trip was totally Zen. Nirvanic mind. No thoughts. Pure being. No center. But this one...God.

This might be delusional, and maybe I have watched too many Leo's videos recently, but... It was like it was specifically designed for my ego as a surrender test.

3 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

Sorry can't unquote

6 hours ago, Forestluv said:

that breaking free can be difficult as we re-enforce personal conditioning through our patterns of social contact, behavior and internal dialog. 

Absolutely, but watching the knots tie again is priceless as a lesson. Another thing is that we take advantage of it or that we choose the ego option over and over again. The good thing is that the choice is not final, you can fall again and again into the egoic temptation, which leads to suffering to a greater or lesser extent and psychedelics are always available to show the possibility of detachment again. I hope to choose the correct option more and more

On 1/23/2021 at 6:18 PM, nistake said:

As soon as you're aware of a thought/emotion, stop, relax your whole body and feel into it as much as you can. Don't make any stories about it (what's this emotion, where it came from, etc), just try to feel as if you tried to feel the sensations in your palm for example.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, peanutspathtotruth said:

When it's really difficult, I try to observe things as closely, as directly as possible, without force but with curiosity.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:24 PM, Carl-Richard said:

For me, letting go is more like facing the reality of the situation while repression is more like turning away.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:29 PM, Leo Gura said:

Before letting go, you must fully FEEL it.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, Forestluv said:

Ime, repressed feelings aren't released until they are felt / experienced.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. So trying to let go is actually just suppression? What a plot twist haha!

That's probably why "trying to let go" felt so wrong. Because it actually didn't work! I was just trying to make these emotions go away. So I guess that the next step will be to observe the part of me that wants these emotions to go away.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, peanutspathtotruth said:

There is no "I" that decides to surrender, but when awareness sees itself fighting against itself, it naturally stops. You can only encourage that recognition. Hope that helps.

Beautiful!

@Nahm Thanks for the resources! Love the worksheet, it's very revealing. I'll make sure to check out the books too. I've heard of "the work" before, but never actually checked it out.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, Forestluv said:

Breathwork is a great practice for allowing repressed feelings / memories / beliefs to arise.

I've tried holotropic breathing before (like two or three times), but it didn't do much for me, except for making me feel lightheaded. Should I just keep going with it, or are there any other practices that you would recommend?

On 1/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, StarStruck said:

People who are acting-out/overcompensating/counterattacking are better off  than people who are suppressing.

Interesting perspective. So throwing myself into more uncomfortable situations, will also help me with my suppressed emotions? I mean that does make sense. These situations are uncomfortable for a reason. I guess you just have to do it consciously.

beep boop

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

I guess that the next step will be to observe the part of me that wants these emotions to go away.

Exactly, your only real "choice" is awareness of what is going on. It's very interesting when you see how layered it all really is: There is resistance, then there is resistance against the first resistance, which feels like "damn, why do I resist? I should feel at peace", and another layer that resists that resistance, and on and on it goes. It's actually a bit funny when you see the loopy nature of it all. At any point, you can "step out", by just not resisting any further. That's all you can really do, and even that is not an action. It is, as you rightly said, and observation. It unfolds naturally all the layers of resistance. You got this :) 

12 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Interesting perspective. So throwing myself into more uncomfortable situations, will also help me with my suppressed emotions? I mean that does make sense. These situations are uncomfortable for a reason. I guess you just have to do it consciously.

Back when I realized that I had been repressing my emotions BIG TIME, I developed something I call "crying meditation". While meditating, scan your body for tensions, particularily your abdominal area, and then "pretend" like you're going to cry, then ride that wave. You're essentially "crying out" the tensions by embracing the feeling of feeling vulnerable and opening up your body. 

It doesn't have to be loud or messy. For me, the sensation of crying feels like a gentle stream of energy pouring out from my body. I'm now able to "cry" silently, slowly, to release emotional tensions. My problem now is that I'm some kind of a zen devil, because I'm only ever going halfway, never giving in "completely" ? (or so I'm telling myself).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

For me, to really let go of suppressed emotions was a process of first accepting my situation and reality. That meant I had to stop escaping from my emotions. Then, I had to create conditions for those emotions to show up and feel them fully. And that's a deeply painful but heart and soul cleansing process. Only when I accepted the totality of myself and had the courage to feel those emotions, only then, I was able to let go. Effortlessly. 

The whole process was wrapped in a lot of self-love. Without self-love and compassion, I wouldn't be able to go and feel so deep.

Repressing emotions, for me, is to self-medicate with distractions and act on compulsions. 

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Should I just keep going with it, or are there any other practices that you would recommend?

Ease your way into the practice. If you feel lightheaded, lay down on a comfortable surface and start slow with conscious belly-to-chest inhales through the nose. Then switch nasal inhales and exhale through the mouth. Then flow into just mouth breathing. Take your time.

The skin all over your body will tickle, even my eye muscles twitch and lips tremble. If I feel that my hands begin to cramp ("tetany"), I will stop the breath and flow into the dark abyss of consciousness.

Many things will come up. You may don't know what it is. Just let it flow out and breath through it.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Carl-Richard

Stop being afraid of how beautiful you are. 

???

?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

are letting go and surrender the same thing, I feel they are used the same very often ?

On 23/01/2021 at 4:35 PM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Goes for both, thoughts and feelings, but I'll be talking about feelings because that's what I struggle with the most.

Whenever I try to let go of a feeling... It just feels wrong. Like I'm just trying to get rid of it  Like I'm trying to deny the truth. However, sometimes I can catch myself creating feeling and getting attached to it because letting go feels wrong. Like I'm being someone who I'm not and I just accept it because letting go somehow scares me, which is probably the fundamental problem. It feels like I'm trying to let go of my compass, eventhough I can feel that my compass is way off.

But I can't tell the difference between me actively running away and me letting go. It's weird because it blurs the lines between what's real and what isn't...

I can't tell who or what I am, between ego and intuition.

Hope someone can give me some advice! ✌

Go lay down on your bead , relax and listen trough this video.

You should get general idea, it is long video so if you don't have time wait until you get some, don't go trough this video skipping as if it is some information content you have to see. 

Edited by PureRogueQ