Conscious life

what is non duality?

13 posts in this topic

what is non duality? is non dual means evil and good are one? light and darkness, moral vs immoral, god vs devil, Leo mention In his non dual video stealing and being stealed are the same and everthing is one and the same? 

Protons and electrons

North pole and south pole of a magnet.

Male and female.

Explaining non-duality is tricky, because 'explanation' is dualistic.  

Non duality is a cup. Duality is knowing what a cup is in terms of 'inside of the cup vs outside of a cup'.   We can't understand what 'the inside of a cup' is without a notion of 'the outside of a cup'. Similarly we can't make sense of 'non-duality' in 'non dual' terms. 

There is 'one thing', reality (non-dual), but to describe 'one thing' requires duality  (one thing as opposed to many things).  

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Nonduality means: this implies that

Up implies down. 

Good implies bad

Here implies there

Let's take "up implies down" as an example: what is "down"? Not up. What is "up"? Not down. 

Or "good" and "bad". How do you know what is good unless you also know what is bad? Both constitute each others' existence. The moment you say "this is good" you are implying that something else must be bad. 

You define "this" in terms of "that" and vice versa. And this principle applies for absolutely everything in the universe. 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Conscious life said:

what is non duality?

Not two. A thought arises...but “not two”...a thought arises...but “not two”...a thought arises...but “not two”....silence is without separation, unending, un-beginning, and is known to appear as “thoughts”...but... “not two”. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

You can get a sense of non-duality by looking at your hand and try and explain to someone what you're seeing. For example I might say:

I can see five fingers.

I can see a palm.

Fingernails

Knuckles.

And so on.

But notice that your hand is none of those things. Your hand is a totally, it's also connected to your arm and body. See?

Duality is words and divisions and descriptions and explanations. Non-duality is the thing itself, the raw experience of totality.

All stories and explanations are false.

In the first or something page of the tao te ching nondualistic elements were separated, but it was then explained that these things cannot function properly without the other. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

Another key thing to understand about non duality is that any boundaries separating one thing from another are ultimately created by the judgments of the mind. Reality is actually just one “thing” which dualistic interpretations break down into a bunch of more or less randomly divided parts and aspects. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

True non duality cannot be expressed through language because language is dualistic.  

I'll attempt to point to it though by examining reality itself. 

Essentially, you'll begin to realize that reality is:

Neither that nor not that. 

Reality is neither real nor unreal.

Reality is neither a dream nor not a dream. 

Reality is neither physical nor not physical.

Reality is neither good nor evil. 

Reality is neither determined nor not determined. 

Reality is neither infinite nor finite. 

Reality is neither dual nor non dual

To each coin there are two sides. Both sides are true from different perspectives. Both perspectives are neither true nor not true. 

Truth is found when both sides of the coin are seen clearly and then the entire coin is known.

For example, reality isn't good in the sense that there's evil in the world.

Reality is good in the sense that the evil gives us context for what good is, which makes evil good as well. 

Reality is infinite in many different senses that should be relatively obvious. 

Reality is finite in the sense that there will always be something absent from your present moment, making it finite.  

Reality is unreal in the sense that it's an illusion created by the infinite mind.  

Reality is real in the sense that this illusion is all there is. It's as real as it gets. 

On the surface, reality appears to be black and white. This dualistic way of thinking is what gives substance and meaning to the Universe.

On a deeper level, reality is only gray and all meaning is fabricated. The complete awareness of this fabrication is liberation.