BipolarGrowth

Is Leo Supporting Solipsism or Not?

35 posts in this topic

Edit: I should’ve made it clear in the initial post that I’m talking about solipsism from the point of consciousness being the self in the definition of “self alone/alone self” rather than the ego being the self instead of waiting until later posts to clarify this. This ultimately caused a lot of confusion in the responses. It was entirely my fault as I was using an altered definition of the word without clarifying, which I often get frustrated when others do this. 

About a month ago, I had some very solipsistic insights. This made me question every spiritual belief or even everyday non-spiritual belief I’ve had previous to that, and I’m still in a seemingly unshakable state of skepticism. Before these solipsistic insights and newly found skepticism for spirituality, I used to believe in a universe existing outside of what I directly experience in the moment. I used to believe all living beings had consciousness under the framework of Brahman. I even started to believe that all points in the universe could be conscious. 

Here’s an example of one thing Leo said that seems to support solipsism:

Forum user - “I have determined mahasamadhi is impossible because causing emotional harm to your family members through suicide under the premise that something good will happen to you. It is selfish.”

Leo responding - “Lol

That's just an excuse you imagined so that you remain inside the dream.

Realize deeper that your family and their suffering is just a dream you are hallucinating to keep yourself away from Infinite Love.

What that is, is just fear of Infinite Love and formlessness.

Once you are dead, your family will no longer exist.” 

The last sentence suggests that the world no longer exists when you die. This seems to be a very solipsistic view. Leo also regularly has talked about the universe as being some meta-being compared to the individual. This seems to go against solipsism, but all of Leo’s mentions of this that I’ve seen have come before that forum response and his latest video. 

Leo’s last Youtube video is seemingly even more solipsistic than the response above. He talks about there being no other perceptual bubbles than your own. Was this only said in order to guide people toward recognizing themselves as God and ultimately false information given for that purpose, or was it one of Leo’s insights? 

420EBFA5-35A2-49EC-ADF7-0316AB677A9A.png

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

We are like the dreamer, who dreams, and then lives inside the dream. But, who is the dreamer?

You

What happens in a massive multiplayer videogame online? You die, the universe you were inside also dies for "You", but you have no way to confirm that it still exists for others as it used to in your previous point of view.

Is like the Schrödinger cat problem.

How can we know for sure, that the dream characters we dream at night have a life at their own, maybe we just can't? 

The universe will still being dreamed, regardless you have a physical body or not, the point to be made still is, "You are it"

And Leo already clearly mentioned that Solplisim is a belief. So no, he is not supporting it.

Edited by oMarcos

57 minutes ago, oMarcos said:

Solplisim is a belief

The belief that solipsism is a belief, within its self, is a belief:)

@oMarcos

“Once you are dead, your family will no longer exist.”

“The universe will still being dreamed, regardless you have a physical body or not, the point to be made still is, "You are it"

You're going completely against what he said with this. This is fine though; you might be right. Anyway, how can you at all claim this with any certainty? 

Leo’s claim of having no beliefs is rather ridiculous and tiresome imo. Fine, let’s assume he has no beliefs. That ultimately doesn’t matter for what I’m asking here. If he says things that align with solipsism, he is supporting it. It doesn’t matter that much whether he claims to support it or not. Someone can claim to not support racism for example, but if they say a couple racist comments, they are supporting it nonetheless. The title of the thread was not “Has Leo Been Publicly Quoted as Saying Solipsism is True?” 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 

@BipolarGrowth Solipsism is a common theme for me. There are some directions you can take it in, in regards to asking what morality or empathy means. I've felt weird and disturbed. But I (somewhat) know not to believe my framing of solipsism, or the mirage of my instinctive emotional reactions and thoughts. 

Alan Watts put it pretty funnily about what a conference of solispsists would be like, where everyone is trying to argue they're the only real person in existence. Of course that's nothing but a piece of humour that does nothing to solve the question. But it's pretty funny. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

20 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

@oMarcos

You're going completely against what he said with this. This is fine though; you might be right. Anyway, how can you at all claim this with any certainty? 

@BipolarGrowth I am certain of the impossibility of knowing it. I think my mother is also dreaming herself from the same source I am dreaming myself. And you will never be "there" to confirm that your family still exists, you can only see your direct experience, no escape.

But, have you ever saw people claiming to know who they were in their past lifes? Maybe we have a clue right there.

And once again, Leo never said he has no beliefs, he himself has already said is impossible to not be biased as long as you live.

You need to see solplisism as some sort of idea that is originated by realizing one's nature as the spectator of everything, but you can't really put it into words, solpslisim is a concept on its own.

Edited by oMarcos

@BipolarGrowth non-duality, or reality, transcends solipsism.  Its bigger than just the ego being all there is.   You are formless Consciousness or Infinity - taking different forms.  Imagine it like one big video game in which you are the creator of the game and the game itself.   As the game you can then experience it from any aspect of the game or POV.  So once you shift to that POV where is the rest of the game?  It seems like it would be real and separate from you right?  But that's exactly what it takes to make the game become real for you.  In reality It only exists from that POV.  It has shrunken down in dualistic terms.  But then it can expand to the whole thing where you can shift to the entire game and then look down at the game from the developers POV.  You can experience the game by zooming into the game from an infinite amount of angles and an infinite amount of vantage points.   In which you will, ultimately.  But its still one game which exists magically - nowhere.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

5 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

Lol

That's just an excuse you imagined so that you remain inside the dream.

Realize deeper that your family and their suffering is just a dream you are hallucinating to keep yourself away from Infinite Love.

What that is, is just fear of Infinite Love and formlessness.

Once you are dead, your family will no longer exist.” 

Yes that's solipsism 101.  But regardless that doesn't mean "Leo" is solipsist because Leo doesn't exist. That's why "he" contradicts himself. 

@BipolarGrowth I have a question... Why is this question important?  

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

solipsism = self is everything

Leo’s teaching = Self is everything

Sounds similar on the surface, but it requires transcending the ego. Unless I misunderstood something.

4 minutes ago, Willie said:

solipsism = self is everything

Leo’s teaching = Self is everything

Sounds similar on the surface, but it requires transcending the ego. Unless I misunderstood something.

Correct.

And the Self = the Selfless.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 minute ago, Ry4n said:

@Inliytened1 At least what I say doesn't cause people to have a mental breakdown.

A mystical experience of Oneness will cause that on its own.   And it happened for me with meditation - not even psychedelics.  The ego must die to experience Oneness.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

funny-gazelle-gif.gif

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

LolxD and I came here to see how Leo would solace you haha

@Inliytened1 When I say solipsism, I’m fully aware that the ego isn’t all there is. Solipsism = self alone or alone self. I’m not foolish or inexperienced enough to think my ego is the self. What I’ve been more convinced of is that there is no consciousness that can ever be experienced other than my own. Everything within this consciousness and the consciousness itself is me or the self. In this way, my consciousness is eternally alone and can only dream up the appearance of avatars or bodies for myself and seemingly separate beings for my own entertainment and comfort which confuses me into thinking most of the time that I’m not alone. 

78952404-C4C4-4AD2-8768-A9BD83AA2058.png

Yea, whatever....I guess Leo's arrogant style just leaves a bad taste in my mouth these days. It's not even necessarily what's said, but again just the style of it. It wasn't always this bad. The funny thing about cults is that they can form around you regardless of what you say or do, it's sad to say the least, but hey if it works for you then more power to you. All the best lads. 

@BipolarGrowth you're the only game in town.  But the magic of Consciousness is that whatever it imagines is real becomes so.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Mind not sufficient for this question.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Someone here ultimately the question is important because I’m curious if my most recent insights align with the insights of the single person, other than my personal avatar, who has influenced my journey of spirituality the most. It’s mostly a personal question if I’m honest. Is it important to you? Only if you’ve had the same solipsistic insights I have or wish to further understand what solipsism has to potentially offer, which I’m sure applies to some others here.