Charlotte

Awareness and thought

12 posts in this topic

I have been observing awareness and I have a question, would love your experiential answers (no parroting answers please) 

Is awareness another thought? Can we even answer this as our answers are based in thought.

Awareness is what can observe and be aware of thoughts.

How can you observe a thought with another thought?

You can experience consciousness directly.

Was a profound breakthrough that I can now Access at will.

It's all consciousness.

ALL of it.

It's ALL you.

55 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

Is awareness another thought? Can we even answer this as our answers are based in thought.

Whatever you have learned since your birth is a thought. “Awareness “ is a thought, but the word of “awareness” point out to emptiness or nothingness, where the so called thoughts rises. Anything happens within the “awareness “ including thought of word “awareness “. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Yes, they're both of the same nature. Thoughts and awareness are identical. But they're also qualitatively distinct.

One way of viewing this duality is strange-loops. You become aware of thoughts, and you form thoughts about awareness, and then you become aware of those thoughts, and then you put that awareness into thoughts, and so on.

57 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

Can we even answer this as our answers are based in thought.

This question assumes that thought and awareness are distinct. Within that assumption; No, we can't. We can only answer in thought form. But if think about it, some answers have the potential to change your awareness. So, again, in actuality, the duality collapses.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

I have been observing awareness and I have a question, would love your experiential answers (no parroting answers please) 

observing awareness, thats so subtle, are you sure? Awareness is that which knows your entire experience, including everything. Thought is very small part of it all, but the awareness is not an object, it's a quality of being. The "awareness" you're observing is actually probably the ego point that you believe is you, but that is also known by Awareness. So to answer your question, I believe the awareness you're talking about is another thought, but awareness that knows all experience, including bodily sensations, is not a thought hehe :P 

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@Charlotte I suppose what makes this tricky is that knowing or noticing that you're aware gets accompanied by the thought "I'm aware" 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Any answer can only provide pointers for investigation in the direct experience.

To realize the true nature of thought I recommend daily self-inquiry practice. It's possible to experience the following insights during self-inquiry practice:

"The source of any thought is You"
"You are the sky, thoughts are clouds"

Awareness (i.e. consciousness) is all there is. There is nothing but consciousness. Think about the tree question.

The freedom comes from realizing that you are awareness, by allowing the thoughts come&go without resistance, by giving love. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Pardon the clumsy English, but awareness just is. It "bes" itself and is not observable, because any "observer" is within it, and yet it is known despite being unobservable. Perhaps you are observing "a form", somewhat conceptual, to which the referent "awareness" is being applied. Giving it a label allows you to manipulate it in your mind and consider it but the label is always at least one step away from  that to which it refers. 

Thought is a stream of language, it's effectively talking to ourselves; speaking out loud is talking to someone else. But then everything is just awareness (or being) taking various temporary forms. The sofa I'm sitting on is made of it too, but what's different about thought / language is that it is an abstraction, it's form labelling and pointing to other forms. This is us human's greatest superpower and greatest flaw, because it makes us feel separate and superior to the rest of nature. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :)