Tim R

US: why so narcissistic patriotic?

89 posts in this topic

generally there are many things the US could learn from Europe and vice versa

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

Why are you so focused on me? 

Because, I'm trying to get you to see something, but you're not seeing it.

Nevermind.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Ananta said:

Because, I'm trying to get you to see something, but you're not seeing it.

Nevermind.

Don't worry. It's a process of growth. If I don't see it now, I might see it later. Then I can thank you in retrospect. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Don't worry. It's a process of growth. If I don't see it now, I might see it later. Then I can thank you in retrospect. 

We hope you will ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 hour ago, Keyhole said:

remember when Anna first joined she had a meditating Rafiki as her avatar and had come over from the Eckhart Tolle forum, and followed Shanmugam (sp?) around for a few weeks claiming he was Prabhaker. (I don't know why I remember that, I remember weird details about people unintentionally.) 

First,  Anna was only ever a screen name, not my "real" name, now it's Ananta. 

Second, Shanmugum was from the Eckhart Tolle forum and we knew each other from there. I don't recall thinking he was Prabhaker, but maybe I did before he PM'd me that he was "blank"...dunno...don't care. We are friendly now, so doesn't matter.

rafiki.jpg

This was my avatar. Good memory. 

Anyways, projection...shade...lol. ...Whatever.

Thanks for the psychoanalysis. ?

Sorry OP for the derail...back to "US are narcissists". ?

Edited by Ananta

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

15 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

2020 America is a narcissistic monster that's currently in the process of devouring itself. That said, there are far worse places to live than the USA.

Yet anyone loudly proclaiming that the USA is the best country in the world is someone with a simplistic worldview, and are almost always the same people who are actively suppressing needed reforms that would actually make the USA a better place to live.

I so agree with this. Couldn't have said better. But I think America is on the way to become a great nation. 

All this struggle and upheaval is going to lead to something good. 

Eventually Americans will realize how important democracy really is. 

Eckhart Tolle has a forum ?

tenor.gif?itemid=15357817

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin lmao, Leo said it was for grannies. Haha. 

Anyway back to the thread. 

It's amazing to me that people forget that America was a country founded on dissent.

Blindly proclaiming America the best country in the world while being willfully ignorant about the ways that it's failing to live up to its own ideals isn't Patriotism. Anyone who gives a damn about this country wouldn't be obstructing badly needed reforms, and wouldn't bitch and moan about having to pay taxes to fund social programs (or whine about having to wear a mask during an epidemic).

Loudmouthed nationalists in America are some of the most selfish and entitled people on the entire planet.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

8 minutes ago, Shin said:

Eckhart Tolle has a forum ?

I was on it for 8 years. It was Tolle, but not limited to Tolle. You could discuss pretty much anything within reason.

Anyways, it was as busy as this forum in the beginning and slowly died. 

And no, not grannies. Haha 

Most ppl were 25-50 range. 

*Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Rilles

5 hours ago, Rilles said:

I would say UK has way better music. 

Nope, YouTube has best songs like 009 sound system, and different hybrid genres of music. Also, you get to edit songs as well.

@Mikael89  

5 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Stuff like number of issued patents, number of scientific journals, total GDP, military power, biggest protector of the western world/free world, getting us to moon, getting us (+woman) on moon again in 2024, getting us to mars, getting us anywhere, saving our whole planet and species from a future killer asteroid, music production, movie production, most influential country, etc.

Do you see now how United States of America is the daddy of planet earth? It's simply a fact.

No, it's a fact. It's just that people love to hate US because people think you are cool if you go against the stream.

This is why some people need to stream better, not against the stream. Learn to stream water effectively, or stream digital energy.

I think it's mainly the geography that reall allowed America this great sense of being the greatest? Any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Meanwhile Europe will never go through this process because Europe is more concerned about its image, doesn't want to air its dirty laundry in public, is afraid of open confrontation, does not allow a shadow to be created, so it will always have a seething resentment but lack of freedom of speech means these resentments are never funneled in public discourse leading to further degradation and decay of the society because when problems are not confronted, they begin to wear down the system slowly corroding it until corrosion becomes final and there is no going back, the ship begins to sink and nothing can save it past a point. 

"We form our bridges from the walls of the past."

Both Europe and America are great, but Europe is the most developed on a spiral scale. 

And what you said about nothing getting done is really just a belief. 

Lots of stuff is happening here very quickly, to unite countries. 

The US is by no means unique in having the issue of fanatical nationalism. The Balkans spring to mind, or Ireland, or Chechnya, or.... We might be falling for availability bias and pick on the US just because we see it in the media more.

That said, of the three most ginormous global forces of the last century - the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany and the USA - only one of them remains. Residue of its former battles remains.

The battle with the Nazis was one that saw the US pretty unavoidably emerge as righteous, heroic and mighty. This ego boost quickly became sick as the humanitarian disasters of Vietnam, El Salvador, Afghanistan, etc. made it unclear if the US was the 'good guy' anymore.

Culturally, the Cold War saw a confused contradiction as the US self-congratulated about its so-called freedom, whilst the population lived in little boxes, terrified to say or do anything that might be perceived as remotely communistic.

The notion that Communist/centralised/planned governments have failed, though debatable, has combined with the insane black-and-white rhetoric of tribalism to give rise to fallacies like 'greed is good'. We can give credit to Donald Trump for exposing both how widespread this culture of individualistic narcissism is today, and how obviously sick and destructive it is. As a result, there may be a chance for change in the future.

Edited by No Self

15 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

It's amazing to me that people forget that America was a country founded on dissent.

Blindly proclaiming America the best country in the world while being willfully ignorant about the ways that it's failing to live up to its own ideals isn't Patriotism. Anyone who gives a damn about this country wouldn't be obstructing badly needed reforms, and wouldn't bitch and moan about having to pay taxes to fund social programs (or whine about having to wear a mask during an epidemic).

Loudmouthed nationalists in America are some of the most selfish and entitled people on the entire planet.

Couldn't agree more. The Golden comment. 

9 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

"We form our bridges from the walls of the past."

Both Europe and America are great, but Europe is the most developed on a spiral scale. 

And what you said about nothing getting done is really just a belief. 

Lots of stuff is happening here very quickly, to unite countries. 

But populism, refugee-crises etc. are also kind of pulling us apart, so we'll see where it goes.

10 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Mikael89  

This is why some people need to stream better, not against the stream. Learn to stream water effectively, or stream digital energy.

I think it's mainly the geography that reall allowed America this great sense of being the greatest? Any thoughts on this?

While Europe was fighting and destroying itself before WW1 and until WW2. The US had a pretty stable environment/neighbours (obviously there was the civil war, mexico etc.)

with access to the Atlantic and the Pacific ocean all this was central in making it a superpower.

Edited by PurpleTree

3 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

But populism, refugee-crises etc. are also kind of pulling us apart, so we'll see where it goes.

13 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Yeah, Europe is far from perfect. But by the looks of it, it's still the most developed political power in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@fridjonk Europe isn't a country, U.S. is.

The countries that make up the European Union could be looked at like U.S. states, even though it's not a country, they're still a "union".

Not really fair to compare a country of 300 million to a country of let's say 30 million if you don't like to use the per capita measurement. 

6 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@fridjonk Europe isn't a country, U.S. is.

When are you moving to the US? :) We don't want to keep you as a hostage in Europe

Also the EU will either get pulled apart by outside and inside forces like the US, Russia, China, Populism etc etc

Or it will become more and more integrated with it's own army etc. and then become something like a "country"

Edited by PurpleTree