Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
actualizing25

Is wanting to understand the Truth just an ego-desire?

81 posts in this topic

Wanting to understand the Truth and wanting to escape suffering/experience heaven/peace are both coming from the ego. Leo is always saying that this work isnt about liberating oneself from the ego or about experiencing heaven/deep peace,but rather it is about wanting to understand the Truth for its own sake. But in the end all desires are coming from the ego. So in that sense it doesnt matter what your motivation for this work is because in both cases you are operating from the ego. It will all lead to the same place- enlightenment/God/Love.

the truth shall set you free 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

11 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

Leo is always saying that this work isnt about liberating oneself from the ego or about experiencing heaven/deep peace,but rather it is about wanting to understand the Truth for its own sake. 

But is that what YOU want? Don't listen to Leo. Find out what you want for yourself.

11 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

But in the end all desires are coming from the ego. So in that sense it doesnt matter what your motivation for this work is because in both cases you are operating from the ego. It will all lead to the same place- enlightenment/God/Love.

The ego doesn't exist.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Leo also says that God is the devil.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Maybe you might initially need desires to actually do the work and find out the truth....

Then, down the road, when you've done lots of spiritual growth, you might be in a better position to then question the desire for truth as it may impede progress at later stages....

Like the Buddha said (I think):   "My teachings are a raft to get you across the river.  Don't abandon the raft before crossing the river, as you'll never even get to the other side.  Abandon the raft after crossing to the other side."   (paraphrasing).

Dunno though...

Trust your heart's desires and love.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Carl-Richard But isn't he right when hes saying that you can't awaken when you want to escape suffering that you can only get enlightened when you want the Truth for Truths sake?

6 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

@Carl-Richard But isn't he right when hes saying that you can't awaken when you want to escape suffering that you can only get enlightened when you want the Truth for Truths sake?

Wanting to escape suffering isn't just one thing. It takes many forms. Essentially it informs all your actions to a certain extent. If you want Truth more than anything else in the world, that is a good source of positive motivation. Escaping suffering can be viewed as negative motivation. In reality, both are intertwined. You might want Truth to escape suffering or you might want Truth despite suffering for it. Depends how you define your terms.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

The ego will fight tooth and nail to keep you from waking up. It pretends that it is real, and fears the existential threat of enlightenment. It is the devil. It thrives on suffering, and cannot exist without it.

The thing that wakes you up is not the ego. It is Consciousness itself. The devil cannot abide it. Waking up is nothing more than realizing who you are. It is the flood light of You, that pierces the veil of the ego, and dissolves all illusions.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:48 AM, actualizing25 said:

But in the end all desires are coming from the ego

No

The desire for Truth comes from God.

There is more than one way to awaken. You can awaken through deep suffering, I just don't recommend it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

No

The desire for Truth comes from God.

There is more than one way to awaken. You can awaken through deep suffering, I just don't recommend it.

Yeah, the ego says it wants truth but can’t possibly want it, because truth is the ego’s absence.

I don’t recommend it either, but I sure hope it happens more. It’s the most profoundly amazing awakening possible. Honestly I hope it happens by other means but I’m coming from a perspective that sees suffering as instrumental. Even if suffering isn’t instrumental, the diligence required practically counts as suffering, or at least luck.

12 minutes ago, The0Self said:

the diligence required practically counts as suffering

I don't like this negative framing.

To me the pursuit of Truth is the most positive thing. It has nothing to do with suffering.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

To me the pursuit of Truth is the most positive thing. It has nothing to do with suffering.

Oh I see it the same way now. I don’t see suffering in that way at all. I’m just channeling my past self who apparently did, and could relate to most people, so I assume most people experienced suffering in that way if they are still afflicted by the possibility of suffering in the future. Consciousness + suffering = impossible. So be conscious.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Happy warrior. The realization of Truth is the end of suffering :)

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Just now, Moksha said:

The realization of Truth is the end of suffering

Yes, but that's not why Truth should be pursued. That's too selfish and petty a reason. As if escaping suffering is the most important thing in the Universe. Haha!

@Leo Gura For most people it is the most important thing. It is the only way that lasting happiness and peace are possible. And the most direct way.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, but that's not why Truth should be pursued. That's too selfish and petty a reason.

And yet suffering is the reason most people wake up. You* can passionately pursue truth your entire life, but until you are willing to sacrifice your ego, you will never fully experience the Truth that is your Self.

*You, in the general sense.

Edited by Moksha

2 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

@Leo Gura For most people it is the most important thing. It is the only way that lasting happiness and peace are possible.

That is precisely why 99% of people will never wake up.

The pursuit of happiness and relief from suffering is the biggest ego game of all.

If you want to be serious, stop caring about happiness and suffering.

To go about understanding truth in a low conscious frame of mind would be considered an ego desire. To take this path(I mean the low conscious one) is suffering itself funny enough. 
a high conscious way would be one Leo just spoke up above. (That said, it’s not the only high conscious way to pursue purity) 

everything ultimately is Coming from purity... it just sometimes dilutes itself into impurity. 

51 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That is precisely why 99% of people will never wake up.

The pursuit of happiness and relief from suffering is the biggest ego game of all.

If you want to be serious, stop caring about happiness and suffering.

@Leo Gura Does that include the much advised stopping the search for happiness outside in relationships, success etc. and "turning inwards" towards enlightenment, as they call it,  as well?  Should we stop caring about that as well?

Edited by captainamerica