Lyubov

The psychology of drunk college parties

20 posts in this topic

I just walked down a street where several hundred drunk college kids were partying and they seemed sort of aggressive. They didn’t insult me but they seemed stand offish and some of them asked why I was walking there. I didn’t bother to answer but I wonder what explains this? My causes this group mentality?

Just a bunch of arrogant entitled brats who think they are at the top of the world 

This is where you need that masculine "I don't give a shit" attitude towards them. Show them the middle finger next time they ask you. Be a cnuttt where you need to be. Be a Saint where you need to be a Saint. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

5 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Just a bunch of arrogant entitled brats who think they are at the top of the world 

This is where you need that masculine "I don't give a shit" attitude towards them. Show them the middle finger next time they ask you. Be a cnuttt where you need to be. Be a Saint where you need to be a Saint. 

Lol good advice.

so strange though.

seems like it’s only a few though that set the tone of the energy then go along with it.

Human group behaviour reminds us that we are not separate from the animal kingdom except in an enlightened state, and even then we are one with it.

Humans may share over 98% of DNA with chimpanzees, who also form mobs which may attack a lone male of the same species for no reason, or engage in needless tribal conflict. Presumably they also have the dynamics of an alpha dominating a group and so on.

Another factor is that society's conventions and laws necessitate suppressing a lot of human nature, which will then seek an outlet. Alcohol's regressive effect on the brain helps bring this out.

PS. I do not want to sound anti-fun, or on some sort of high ground. If nobody is being harmed, it's better to have an outlet than to suppress endlessly.

25 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

so strange though.

Human nature is very strange indeed. 

Sometimes I've been nice to people, and they have been total ruthless to me. 

And sometimes I have been "insert b/c word" to people and they've come back and complimented me and wanna be friends with me. 

@Lyubov

All kind of strange behavior comes up when people are drunk. When I used to drink, I would usually become either very lovey-dovey or aggressive.

The aggressiveness came from a lot of pent up frustration about my life. I didn't even have the awareness to know why I was frustrated at the time, it was just there. So I'd smash bottles, kick in doors, break tables, occasionally get in fights etc. My guess is you're just seeing some of that same energy being directed towards you.

Alcohol is actually the only drug that causes aggressive behaviour (according to Jordan Peterson who has done studies on it). Of course It depends on the person and the situation. One time when I became blackout drunk, a friend of mine told me that I just went around telling people how much I loved them xD

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

34 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Of course It depends on the person and the situation. One time when I became blackout drunk, a friend of mine told me that I just went around telling people how much I loved them xD

I did the same thing xDxD

Yeah it really does depend on the person. Alcohol lower inhibitions meaning you're basically an unfiltered version of yourself. If you harbor any desire for violence, violating someone, or desire to show dominance among friends it will slip out.

But if your unfiltered version of yourself harbors a desire to go around and tell people how much you love them and being overly happy, that will show too. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

2 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I did the same thing xDxD

Yeah it really does depend on the person. Alcohol lower inhibitions meaning you're basically an unfiltered version of yourself. If you harbor any desire for violence, violating someone, or desire to show dominance among friends it will slip out.

But if your unfiltered version of yourself harbors a desire to go around and tell people how much you love them and being overly happy, that will show too. 

tenor.gif

:D:D

59 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Alcohol is actually the only drug that causes aggressive behaviour (according to Jordan Peterson who has done studies on it). Of course It depends on the person and the situation. One time when I became blackout drunk, a friend of mine told me that I just went around telling people how much I loved them xD

Cocaine makes people aggressive too. 

What is the mystery here? Bunch of young dudes with high testo, drunk, probably using drugs, possibly steroids also, in crowds, they act dumb and aggressive and people are surprised? 

I suppose it's all the shit they repress that is coming up so you take a bunch of insecure young people and give them alcohol and all that stuff starts to surface. I think choosing your friend groups during this time is so important. I see groups of students here I can tell are quite positive and others that carry a lot of negative energy. Both seem to drink but only some groups come off more shitty than others. 

7 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Cocaine makes people aggressive too. 

What is the mystery here? Bunch of young dudes with high testo, drunk, probably using drugs, possibly steroids also, in crowds, they act dumb and aggressive and people are surprised? 

+1 I remember walking with a girl through a narrow street busy with bars and drunk people. When passing a group of men in their early twenties one of them one of them walked around us to shoulder-bump me, hoping to get a reaction that would justify a fight. I just ignored it and went on.

Later I thought about it quite a bit, how I could not understand what would get people to do smth. like that, how I should try and understand  their perspective and where they are coming from, how I should accept and love them more, etc...

All these reactions happened automatically and after I sobered up a little from them it was actually pretty funny how I was still concerned with this incident. In reality it was all really simple: some idiot got drunk looking for trouble. Why would I waste any thought on him? What was that truly about? And just then I let it be.

That's my advice for you here: this is all very simple. You just overcomplicate it. Why? Seriously, why ask about it here? Why be concerned about it? There's something there to look into, and it is about you.

7 hours ago, Lyubov said:

I suppose it's all the shit they repress that is coming up so you take a bunch of insecure young people and give them alcohol and all that stuff starts to surface. I think choosing your friend groups during this time is so important. I see groups of students here I can tell are quite positive and others that carry a lot of negative energy. Both seem to drink but only some groups come off more shitty than others. 

Watch out to not demonize them too much, if you met them in other circumstances you would probably find that most are actually cool people. 

Yeah, they are acting out low consciousness stuff inside them, traumas, anger, maybe some insecurity, need for validation etc. Don't underestimate the power of drugs and alcohol, it can literally possess people, maybe even make them susceptible to evil spirits manipulating them.

I can relate with this, not long time a ago, if I drunk too much and, for some reason started to get annoyed by something, maybe an gf nagging me, this low vibration took over and I could act pretty nasty, almost like another person took over my body and mind. I noticed the same with a lot of people, including a few girlfriends which could act nasty, almost possessed. But in other situations, they could be the sweetest people ever.

4 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Yeah, they are acting out low consciousness stuff inside them, traumas, anger, maybe some insecurity, need for validation etc

Why does it always have to be like this. Like why. I have met people who have been rude obnoxious freaks because they love to act like that because they think they're too good and others deserve to be treated badly and they have had a privileged growth, no trauma. It isn't always this way. Some people are just sociopathic and arrogant. Also saying that this behavior has a mark of trauma is a blatant disrespect to people like me who actually suffer trauma but never went out and drank and hurt other people. This is the narrative I'm so sick of. This narrative of defending bad behavior or finding sympathy for it. It's almost like saying a pedophile is a pedo because of child abuse. It's an insult to real people. I don't need to have a drop of pity or empathy for people who are acting badly. I need to man up in front of them. They are not important. There are only very few people who act bad because of trauma, and that gets generalized so much, it really creates empathy around bad behavior which it should not. It is akin to Gaslighting the good person for feeling bad or reacting in self defense, asking that person to forgive and take all their shit. No no. They don't deserve it. If someone is being a rogue, show them the mirror. No need for ultra justifications and rationalizations.

This is the spiritual psycho-babble on the forum I'm slowly getting sick of. 

Act out of love, act out of love, bullshit. 

Edited by Preety_India

Oooo I remember when I was younger partying was a lot of fun. Drinking a couple of drinks, getting wasted is no fun though. 

It's the excitement if meeting new people who are also open to meeting new people. And dancing. And looking at pretty girls. And joking around with friends. And you can forget about the mundane daily grind. I especially liked the nightclubs with all the lights and dance music. 

Shame there can sometimes be the couple of drunk assholes that have to ruin it. It's probably am expression of their frustration with life with general. When sober they have learned to keep this inside, with alcohol it comes out. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@loub

On 10/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, loub said:

+1 I remember walking with a girl through a narrow street busy with bars and drunk people. When passing a group of men in their early twenties one of them one of them walked around us to shoulder-bump me, hoping to get a reaction that would justify a fight. I just ignored it and went on.

Later I thought about it quite a bit, how I could not understand what would get people to do smth. like that, how I should try and understand  their perspective and where they are coming from, how I should accept and love them more, etc...

All these reactions happened automatically and after I sobered up a little from them it was actually pretty funny how I was still concerned with this incident. In reality it was all really simple: some idiot got drunk looking for trouble. Why would I waste any thought on him? What was that truly about? And just then I let it be.

That's my advice for you here: this is all very simple. You just overcomplicate it. Why? Seriously, why ask about it here? Why be concerned about it? There's something there to look into, and it is about you.

Ha ha ha that's good control! Much better in this situation to let it be and move on. Same happened to me in the past, but I was by myself, a group of three drunks to my right, one shoulder hits me. This subconsciously triggered me into hammer and hooking the guy down, and I snap kicked into number 2's throat, he goes down gasping. Number 3 just registering the chaos and starts putting guard but too slow, jab-cross-uppercut and 3's down. I spun around, reverse side kicked 2 down for good, and walked away.  

I don't see the point of these threads. Where is the value of speculating about other people's psychologies.

You could contemplate this, go actually talk to them if you're genuinely interested. 

If you want to find real toxic masculinity, in ts in makes from the ages of 14 to 22.  All they want to do is one ip each other.

13 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@loub

Ha ha ha that's good control! Much better in this situation to let it be and move on. Same happened to me in the past, but I was by myself, a group of three drunks to my right, one shoulder hits me. This subconsciously triggered me into hammer and hooking the guy down, and I snap kicked into number 2's throat, he goes down gasping. Number 3 just registering the chaos and starts putting guard but too slow, jab-cross-uppercut and 3's down. I spun around, reverse side kicked 2 down for good, and walked away.  

Seems over the top. Hope they weren't seriously hurt and did not press charges. In my case there were about nine of them and so it was just the wisest decision to move on. I also would not ever have a natural inclination to fight anyone as long as can still avoid doing so. Glad to see you've come to your senses since.

22 hours ago, Mada_ said:

I don't see the point of these threads. Where is the value of speculating about other people's psychologies.

You could contemplate this, go actually talk to them if you're genuinely interested. 

Are you new here? haha