112 posts in this topic

Just now, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I'm starting to suspect Sam Harris of being a bigot

As if you didn't know already. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I'm starting to suspect Sam Harris of being a bigot

He was fighting the staunch anti war Noam Chomsky on the issue of foreign policy, revealing that Sam actually agrees more with Republicans on foreign policy.

It's his "beliefs/intentions matter" individualist doctrine in action :). Noam Chomsky is a filthy collectivist.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

15 hours ago, tuckerwphotography said:

@Leo Gura This "debate" between Sam and Ezra Klein definitely has Sam's blood boiling. It's cringeworthy to listen to. 

I generally enjoy listening to Ezra Klein, but both him and Sam come off terribly in this exchange. They revert back to their teenage cafeteria food fight days. The result of two bruised egos trying to stab each other in the back while pretending not to.

Sam is SUPER sneaky with narrative control. He got away with a lot. Imo, he needs to do more psychedelics to transcend that. He is beyond human help, yet Sam would be no match for psychedelics. The problem is he re-grounds himself after the few trips he’s had. 

6 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

Sam is SUPER sneaky with narrative control. He got away with a lot. Imo, he needs to do more psychedelics to transcend that. He is beyond human help, yet Sam would be no match for psychedelics. The problem is he re-grounds himself after the few trips he’s had. 

He needs to transcend his fear of unreality and insanity. His latest trip report revolved around that. He talks a lot about self-transcendence but he doesn't know what it really entails.

He's not a bigot. He's just a rationalist.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

He needs to transcend his fear of unreality and insanity. His latest trip report revolved around that. He talks a lot about self-transcendence but he doesn't know what it really entails.

My sense is that relatively high doses of shrooms may not be the best for Sam. They can be really twisted, insane spaces. This can create dynamics in the mind that make transcendence more complicated. 

For Sam, I think a 30 day 5-meo retreat would be better. Simple clarity. 

On 9/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, Leo Gura said:

Sam Harris:

brain-meme-02.jpg

Literally fucking exactly lol

For years his notion of objective morality, “some ideas are good and some are bad,” subtly fucked with my head and pervaded all aspects of my personality. Like I think it even affected things like my taste in music because I believed there’s truly “good taste” and “bad taste” and just really facilitated neuroticism and lack of authenticity. That might sound like a stretch, but one’s understanding of morality has systemic effects on the psyche.

@Leo Gura’s videos about moral relativism and “should” statements have been very healing for me. Sam seems to confuse ideas that are a natural result of high consciousness with his notion of “good” or “right” ideas, same with labeling low-consciousness ideas as “bad”.

Basically there’s a subtle insertion of judgement in a lot of his discourse that I think is dangerous, even though he means well.

Edited by Matt Skinner

He's a rational moralist.

Yes the man got problems, but he's still way ahead in spiritual development than most members on this forum and out there in society, so in light of stigmatizing him don't let go of his qualities, he is a neuro scientist, he got his method of investigating into the nature of reality, there's still a lot we can learn from him, moreover he's improving on his expansion of consciousness and may he get over all barriers he have, still better than rigid atheist like Richard Dawkins and others.

Don't fall into this trap of just noticing or cherrypick someone's flaws.

Edited by ajai

1 hour ago, ajai said:

he is a neuro scientist

No he isn't. That's some bullshit title he annointed himself with because it sounds legit.

He doesn't do science and he does not understand what science is.

Leo, your twitter page says you're a psychologist, do you have a degree in psychology and have you actually practiced it?

@josh jones he has a degree in philosophy. I almost have a degree in project management. What degree do you have? 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

53 minutes ago, josh jones said:

Leo, your twitter page says you're a psychologist, do you have a degree in psychology and have you actually practiced it?

You should maybe do some research ;):

A psychologist usually means someone who has a degree in psychology, but legally anyone can call themselves a psychologist.

https://nationalcounsellingsociety.org/counselling-directory/therapist-titles

He was a professional life coach before starting YouTube though, and much of the videos are psychology oriented.

well that's fine, but Sam Harris is technically a legit neuroscientist, he didn't give himself the title.

1 hour ago, josh jones said:

Psychology isn't about degrees.

By "psychologist" I mean: one who studies and understands psychology.

Also I haven't used my Twitter in years. I should probably change that. Didn't even realize it was there.

If you want to give me a title, I prefer God. I should just put that in the Twitter bio ;)

but, that's a title you gave yourself then too. And again Sam Harris did not give himself the title neuroscientist.

Maybe you can legally call yourself a psychologist but it certainly is misleading.

To become a clinical psychologist, you will need an undergraduate degree (four to five years of college) plus a doctorate degree (four to seven years of graduate school). For this specialty area, most people will spend between eight to 12 years in higher education