tuckerwphotography

Thoughts on Sam Harris

112 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, josh jones said:

but, that's a title you gave yourself then too. And again Sam Harris did not give himself the title neuroscientist.

Sam's image of a "neuroscientist" or "researcher" is laughable. He does no research and practices no neuroscience.

4 minutes ago, josh jones said:

Maybe you can legally call yourself a psychologist but it certainly is misleading.

To become a clinical psychologist, you will need an undergraduate degree (four to five years of college) plus a doctorate degree (four to seven years of graduate school). For this specialty area, most people will spend between eight to 12 years in higher education

Well, I would call someone like Jordan Peterson calling himself a psychologist misleading.

A title means whatever you think it means.

I challenge any psychologist with a PhD to a debate about the workings of the mind. Let's see who has a deeper understanding.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, josh jones said:

so Sam Harris is god as well then. Its a moot point.

Yeah, but he doesn't know that. Which is the only point.

lol, how do you know? And I'm not a big Peterson fan, but he is or was a practicing psychologist. He did earn the degree. You did not.

in other words neither of them are self appointed, and that's just the argument you were making. Seems you are actually the one who is "self appointed".

lol, how do you know? And I'm not a big Peterson fan, but he is or was a practicing psychologist. He did earn the degree. You did not.

What is his degree worth if he doesn't understand his own mind?

in other words neither of them are self appointed, and that's just the argument you were making. Seems you are actually the one who is "self appointed".

You're missing the point. Degrees don't mean shit. It's a piece of paper. Yet here you are, suckered in by it, taking it to mean something more than that.

What matters is UNDERSTANDING. Which neither of them have.

I honestly don't care about either of them, I was merely arguing your point about being self appointed. But how can we be so sure YOU have these understandings, just because you say so?

i mean, you dissed Sam about being "self appointed"...did someone else make you anything you now claim to be? What are your credentials?

19 minutes ago, josh jones said:

He did earn the degree. You did not.

Let us not get stuck in this paradigm lock that "degrees are sort of epitome of understanding", they are not and we know that most people are shit even after holding PHDs when it comes to undertsanding and awareness, I think Leo has a legit point here, he know better than us, we need more clarity when it comes to people like SH and JP, it's a little tricky when it comes to them academics.

Edited by ajai

6 minutes ago, josh jones said:

i mean, you dissed Sam about being "self appointed"...did someone else make you anything you now claim to be? What are your credentials?

We need not loose calm brother, whatever the situation is if Leo is saying his argument is not baseless, that's all I can say.

Just put God in your Twitter bio and be done with all the fuss  

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 minutes ago, ajai said:

We need not loose calm brother, whatever the situation is if Leo is saying his argument is not baseless, that's all I can say.

I'm perfectly calm. But assuming Leo is always correct or that his arguments can't be baseless is just as bad as assuming the same about Harris or Peterson. That is cult mentality.

11 minutes ago, josh jones said:

I'm perfectly calm. But assuming Leo is always correct or that his arguments can't be baseless is just as bad as assuming the same about Harris or Peterson. That is cult mentality.

Brother that's your sloppy understanding about cults you don't know how they works.

And more so what if I say asking for answers from a Guru is not what cult mentality is all about, Guru goes the way and shows the way right, but it's alright if you think what your definition of cult holds is effing true, you can go with that bruh but I got a lot of room for improvement and understanding maybe that's why I can't satisfy you with my points right now.

Edited by ajai

what makes Leo a guru? Because he's said he's one? Forget the word cult since it's so triggering. Trusting something anyone says merely on the grounds that it's them saying it without looking into it yourself is not good. You can't believe nothing Leo says could possibly be baseless just because he says he's a guru or whatever. That is dogmatic.

49 minutes ago, josh jones said:

I dissed Sam for not knowing what he's talking about.

All credentials and titles are self-appointed. What matters is what one actually understands and practices.

JP, SH or LG, what matters is just listening with an open mind and healthy skepticism, simply, period. Forget degrees, forget qualifications and semantics, as @Leo Gura says always only trust your direct experience. SH and JP, could know what God is if only they where not so called intellectuals, which as I believe Jung said intellectualism is often a synonym for fear of direct experience. I’d recommend Paul Chek, as an honest inquirer and student of Rudolf Steiner, experienced in psychedelics, and also a lifestyle coach, You see, coaches like Leo get results and that’s what actually matters. You want results, you want love, you ultimately want to BE God knowingly - Rupert Spira. Done

3 minutes ago, Mannyb said:

JP, SH or LG, what matters is just listening with an open mind and healthy skepticism, simply, period. Forget degrees, forget qualifications and semantics, as @Leo Gura says always only trust your direct experience. SH and JP, could know what God is if only they where not so called intellectuals, which as I believe Jung said intellectualism is often a synonym for fear of direct experience. I’d recommend Paul Chek, as an honest inquirer and student of Rudolf Steiner, experienced in psychedelics, and also a lifestyle coach, You see, coaches like Leo get results and that’s what actually matters. You want results, you want love, you ultimately want to BE God knowingly - Rupert Spira. Done

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, josh jones said:

what makes Leo a guru? Because he's said he's one? Forget the word cult since it's so triggering. Trusting something anyone says merely on the grounds that it's them saying it without looking into it yourself is not good. You can't believe nothing Leo says could possibly be baseless just because he says he's a guru or whatever. That is dogmatic.

This is teenage antics. Nobody disagrees fundamentally with what you're saying. It's basic knowledge. It certainly doesn't require a degree :P 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.