Einsteinonacid

Any tips on finding a good therapist?

19 posts in this topic

It seems like each one is different from the other and some don't seem to help at all. Are the more expensive ones the best ones?

Pick the simplest and easiest one, not too cheap not too expensive. He is a good therapist.

Then just do what is expected of you to the best of your ability and be consistent. With time the answer will become clear.

You need to sit down and really dig up what you want. Happiness? Peace? What do those things mean to you in your personal life? 

Then you be bold in demanding those things to yourself out of your therapist. See what comes of it.

Look for one who has an understanding of spirituality/nonduality/meditation.

And you really want to test a therapist, ask the therapist if you're God and observe their reaction.

Ask them:

• What is love?
  • What is God?
  • What is truth?
  • What is consciousness?
  • What is reality?
  • What is science?
  • What is therapy?
  • What is happiness?
  • What is suffering?
  • What is mind?
  • What is ego?
  • What is healing?

And observe their responses. This will tell you everything about them.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"ask the therapist if you're God and observe their reaction."

Do this if you want an express ticket to the looney bin.

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Do this if you want an express ticket to the looney bin.

I rest my case.

Unless the looney bin is what you're curious after, and the therapist is experienced enough to do that with you.

then really have fun :D

@Einsteinonacid

1 hour ago, Einsteinonacid said:

It seems like each one is different from the other and some don't seem to help at all. Are the more expensive ones the best ones?

Usually, the more expensive, the better. However, you still need to clarify to yourself want you want out of a therapist and therapy session. The more clear your intent going in a therapy session, the more faster the results you get out of the therapy session. For example, am I going into a therapy that's C.B.T,(cognitive behavior therapy) or R.E.B.T (rational emotive behavior therapy)?  What if my intent is better served with a psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, clinical hypnotist, life coach or councilor? Do I know what each role process of procedures in a session?

Once you clarified, you also need to dream big, chunk that down to specifics, and hold some system of records and accountability to yourself.

More advanced tips are to continue meditating, contemplating, spiritual practices, and most powerful, create a Tulpa for yourself. Having a Tulpa has a few benefits, and one being that you can do your own therapy session and confide, fully honestly, what is really troubling you. Good luck!

You can find great spiritual coaches, healers, and counselors in your local town via Yelp.com They will be superior to traditional academically trained therapists.

44 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I rest my case.

Its not that I personally think it's crazy, all I'm saying is these kind of statements can end bad for you in a therapist setting.

And I don't think thats wrong either, if someone I don't know declared that he is God I would be immediately suspicious about their mental health, even though I know what is meant by it in the nondual context.

Edited by John Mitchell

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can find great spiritual coaches, healers, and counselors in your local town via Yelp.com They will be superior to traditional academically trained therapists.

meh not true at all

although there are a ton of really mediocre therapists so be careful 

depends on what the OP is dealing with

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is really bad advice for people with serious mental health problems. Anyone can call themselves a "healer" or "spiritual coach".

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't know, every time I go to the conventional doctors I get heavily frustrated by them. Will probably try spiritual inclined ones in the future indeed

Edited by Hello from Russia

25 minutes ago, dharm4 said:

Anyone can call themselves a "healer" or "spiritual coach".

And any fool can get a therapist credential and hand out anti-depressants like candy.

As if a traditional therapist knows what he's doing.

I couldn’t recommend Deborah Wilder enough. She’s more of an angel than a therapist. I started seeing her over two years ago, and since then my two best friends, both my sisters and even my mom who is super resistant to therapy have all had sessions with her. She’s really special and has helped me transform my life and embark on the spiritual path in ways I can’t begin to put into words. 

Her sessions are over FaceTime or Zoom, so doesn’t matter where you’re located. You can book a free consult on her website I believe. Good luck! http://www.deborahwilder.com/

Edited by tuckerwphotography

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

And any fool can get a therapist credential and hand out anti-depressants like candy.

Where I live, only psychiatrists can prescribe anti-depressants

There's a big difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist

Psychiatrists are medical doctors, psychologists are not. Psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists can't. Psychiatrists diagnose illness, manage treatment and provide a range of therapies for complex and serious mental illness. Psychologists focus on providing psychotherapy (talk therapy) to help patients.

Edited by Enlightenment

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's not as black and white as how you frame it. Most therapists can't prescribe anti-depressants.

Yes you have to find a good therapist, there are definetly bad ones out there.

To be a licensed therapist you need a degree psychology. To be a "healer", you don't need anything.

Why not find a professional therapist that also knows about meditation, spirituality, non-duality? It's a win-win situation.

My husband is a psychologist and I’ve seen many psychologists for myself and it’s been hit and miss. I find most don’t have a clue and I have known more than them for where I’m at (I can now see though each and every one offered me truths I could not see at the time as I wasn’t ready).

You’ve been given lots of tips and they all lead the same way, some faster and some slower. My extra tip is to look into EMDR (Eye Movement  Desensitization and Reprocessing) and consider a therapist who offers it. It can get to the beliefs you have that are causing suffering much quicker than some other therapies which can take the longer way around. My husband practised for many years before he knew about it and now he said he can deal with lifelong issues within a few sessions of what he may have taken years.