How to be wise

How Long Does It Take To Get Enlightened

76 posts in this topic

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:37 AM, Matthew Lamot said:

An hour a day of work?  An hour a day will do nothing more than relax your body.  People who become enlightened (and there are few) have had nothing short but an absolute burning desire to give up everything they have for freedom.  That means even their own mind and everything they think life is supposed to be about.  People from all over the world travel to spots where gurus have lived and self-inquire all day and still don't become Self Realized..

A hour a day...?

and then you have people like Eckhart tolle who ask one question '' I cant live with myself, who is the one I cant live with '' and become enlightened. and others like nisargadatta maharaj and shinzen young who do it in 3 ~ 4 years. its not one size fits all, seems some people are more prone to it than others.

9 hours ago, bobbyward said:

and then you have people like Eckhart tolle who ask one question '' I cant live with myself, who is the one I cant live with '' and become enlightened. and others like nisargadatta maharaj and shinzen young who do it in 3 ~ 4 years. its not one size fits all, seems some people are more prone to it than others.

What is enlightenment? Curious

How to be wise in the shortest amount of time?  

For the original poster, and just for you!  5.6 years.  BUT, only if you maintain 1 hr meditation daily with out fail, even when your sick.  You can NEVER skip a meditation; only then will your look back after 5.6 years with this dedication will you say....  "Haaa who was that person?  5.6 years.

It depends how much money you pay... if you pay a lot you get instant "enlightenment"...

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

36 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

It depends how much money you pay... if you pay a lot you get instant "enlightenment"...

You can buy enlightenment now? Let me guess, from you right? You selling? Give paypal details omg xD.. Is there maybe an amazon link, i would like next day delivery on my enlightenment please

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

Just now, Dodoster said:

You can buy enlightenment now? Let me guess, from you right? You selling? Give paypal details omg xD.. Is there maybe an amazon link, i would like next day delivery on my enlightenment please

I have some "instant delivery"... you don't even have to wait.

O.o

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

1 minute ago, abrakamowse said:

I have some "instant delivery"... you don't even have to wait.

O.o

Can you deliver before i pay?

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@Dodoster  Maybe you already have it, send me the money!

:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Dodoster  Maybe you already have it, send me the money!

:ph34r:

Yeah oops sorry i got enlightened just now and burnt all my cash cuz my enlightenment told me so and i dont need low conciousness dosh anymore!

Ps i burnt my electronic money too, as being enlightened now i have all these new superpowers and stuff.

Edited by Dodoster

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

It took me a month for a moment of awakening. I didn't really even know about enlightenment at the beginning of August. And just a couple days ago, I was still asking 'beginner' questions. ...And then boom.

I think there's a very large number of variables, like what state your life is in to you, and how often you just ponder about stuff, how abstract you can make your mind think., etc.

I have a twin brother who is very successful in his career, marriage, socially, who I wouldn't even talk about this stuff to. He would reject it immediately. --It really depends on you and nothing else.

And a moment of enlightenment will definitely not mean you're done. It will try to be covered up by the ego immediately. It's hard to explain, because intuitively, you think once you know something, you know it. But it is not the case with enlightenment. 

I bet if there are people who spend every waking second enlightened, they have to isolate themselves from everyone and everything.

Edited by comp13

3 hours ago, comp13 said:

I bet if there are people who spend every waking second enlightened, they have to isolate themselves from everyone and everything.

! CAUTION !

"I'm unenlightened when I'm with other people and stuck in a materialistic society" You make it sound as though enlightenment is something that needs to be maintained. It's not. (Paradoxically, continual practice can be very powerful.)

If you isolated yourself from everyone and everything, you would become a vegetable. If that's what you want, go for it! 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

Enlightenment comes to oneself depending on the path one takes. I believe that faster one throws themselves into the emotional fray, the sooner it will arrive however it greatly jeopardizes their sanity and life and they may seek suicide as a solution for their suffering. A life of small baby steps of personal growth will make such process a lot longer and perhaps one will miss the boat before they pass.

But the length of time it takes should not at all be a focus. In fact enlightenment shouldn't even be a focus whatsoever. It should remain a 'cool thing to accomplish' and that's it. Take the desire out of such journey. By doing that you're already on the right track. In all honesty, it comes the fastest when one applies self-analysis and notes their neurotic behavior. 

I love an ancient Indian story:

Narada, the great Indian mystic, is going to see God. Playing on his VEENA, he passes a forest, and comes across a very old sage sitting under a tree.

The old sage says to Narada, “You are going to God — please ask one question from me. I have been making all kinds of efforts for three lives, now how much more is needed? How much longer do I have to wait? When is my liberation going to happen? You just ask him!”

Narada laughed and said, “Okay.”

As he progressed, just by the side, under another tree, a young man was dancing with his EKTARA, singing, dancing — very young. May have been only thirty. Jokingly, Narada asked the young man, “Would you also like any question to be asked of God — I am going. The old man, your neighbor, has asked.”

The young man did not reply. He continued his dance — as if he had not listened at all, as if he was not there at all.

After a few days, Narada came back. He told the old man, “I asked God. He said three lives more.”

The old man was doing his JAPA on his beads. He threw the beads. He was in a rage. He threw the scriptures that he was keeping with him, and he said, “This is absolutely unjust! Three lives more?!”

Narada moved to the young man who was again dancing, and he said, “Although you had not answered, and you had not asked, just by the way I asked God about you too. But now I am afraid — whether to tell it to you or not? Seeing the rage of the old man, I am hesitating.”

But the young man did not say anything; he continued to dance. Narada told him; “When I asked, God said, ‘Tell the young man that he will have to be born AS many times as there are leaves on the tree under which he is dancing.'”

And the young man started dancing even more ecstatically, and he said, “So fast?! There are so many trees in the world and so many leaves… only this much? Only these leaves? Only this many lives? I have already attained! When you go next, thank him.”

And it is said the man became liberated that very moment. That very moment he became liberated! If there is such test, such totality of trust, time is not needed. If there is no trust, then even three lives are not enough. 

However long it'll take you. Your ego's probably thinking, just gimme 1000 hours. My advice would be, forget about enlightenment because you seek it to complete yourself, and when the realization that you are already complete comes, enlightenment comes.