WonderSeeker

The oddities of no free-will

12 posts in this topic

Over the past few weeks I have been contemplating the positions of Free-will vs. Determinism. During a 200ug LSD trip last week, the notion of no free-will hit me strongly. A few days ago, I watched Leo's video on Free-will vs. Determinism, and it all squared with what I found just days prior.

However, accepting this truth has been very emotionally challenging. I find this truth somewhat useless in its practicality, in that it can slow one's motivation down and make one feel like a doormat in life, because whatever happens, happens. At the very same time, you can take the opposite approach and feel empowered for knowing such a deep truth. The only problem is, that no, you can't. You don't have a choice! Only one of those options will happen, and you have no control whatsoever over it. It's freaky and a tough "problem" to work through! 

P.S. I had no free will in typing this, and likewise you had no free will in reading or comprehending this. ;)

Yeah I still don't understand this truth fully so I just choose to ignore it until I am ready. I also want to keep this "I", the ego who is writing this intact, for now atleast.

3 hours ago, WonderSeeker said:

Over the past few weeks I have been contemplating the positions of Free-will vs. Determinism. During a 200ug LSD trip last week, the notion of no free-will hit me strongly. A few days ago, I watched Leo's video on Free-will vs. Determinism, and it all squared with what I found just days prior.

However, accepting this truth has been very emotionally challenging. I find this truth somewhat useless in its practicality, in that it can slow one's motivation down and make one feel like a doormat in life, because whatever happens, happens. At the very same time, you can take the opposite approach and feel empowered for knowing such a deep truth. The only problem is, that no, you can't. You don't have a choice! Only one of those options will happen, and you have no control whatsoever over it. It's freaky and a tough "problem" to work through! 

P.S. I had no free will in typing this, and likewise you had no free will in reading or comprehending this. ;)

Some things to think about and expand yourself.  First of all, would you say the free-will vs determinism debate generally still comes from the mindset or belief paradigm that there is an individual either having free will or no free will?  If its possible that theres no-self to begin with so to say, then were's the question of having free-will or no-free will?

I only bring this up because I have a sneaking suspicion there is still "someone" in there who has an idea they no longer have free will instead of seeing this "someone" for what it is.  Sounds like your protecting yourself or are trying to fit a "no free will" idea that you believe or want to fit into.  And no I'm not saying this "someone" shouldn't be there, its so to say there or happening, as is everything, love this, let it be there, dont try to fit an idea, simply drop the ideas and let what IS, IS.

You most definitely have free will.

You are attributing that control to something that is just a relative viewpoint though.

What's actually in control is absolutely nothing. Nothing is in control. 

Edited by Lyubov

There is free will.

If you think there isn't you are deluding yourself and this will impact you.

@Artsu Define free will? 

For clarity I guess? 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

22 minutes ago, Megan Alecia said:

@Artsu Define free will? 

For clarity I guess? 

Uh it means you have choice in what you do. Youre not just running like clockwork, but actually decide what to bring to each moment.

8 hours ago, WonderSeeker said:

Exactly, but the illusion is so thick and powerful it will always be there anyways no matter how hard you work to break it so........

Everything is alright :)

hrhrhtewgfegege

So, If I go to a coffee shop and I tell the Barista "one medium iced coffee, please", Was that out of free will?

Let's back it up. Did I have the free will to be born in an english speaking country? Did I have free will to be born in the time and place that I was and in a culture that encourages coffee consumption? Was it free will that I was born into a society that values productivity? Did I have free will to be born to parents who encouraged my coffee drinking habits? 

Our experiences and life circumstances determine every decision and action we take whether we are conscious of it or not. 

We have a form of free will but in essence not. Things just happen. Plus we don't have an identity on top of it that makes it dobble impossible. 

As an experiment one could use a coin for decision making. I wonder what effect it would have on the long run on the mindset. 

Funny thing is that I'm aware of taking a decision only after the decision is made

I can't ever get the moment. It seems only before and after... And I'm imagining those two

Free will kind of falls apart when you consider that you had no choice or free will in being born, in what circumstances and with what brain type or personality. Let's say you were born into really bad circumstances, abuse etc which led you to become a criminal, where would the free will be in that? You may say, but you can build up awareness and get out of that criminal mindset, but if you're not aware in the first place how could you choose to suddenly be aware? Something may happen to make you aware but that again wouldn't be free will. 

If the root of every action you make didn't involve free will how can any proceeding action be because of free will?