somegirl

How did your parents mess you up emotionally growing up?

32 posts in this topic

My parents really fucked me up emotionally. It doesn't matter though. They couldn't help it. It took me a decade to feel normal again. What does matter is to have emotional mastery and not let some feelings control my life again. 

It is just so sad that many childish egos think that they deserve to raise kids. Raise yourself first.

Stay cool & dry.

My dad was very absent in my upbringin, and also never showed/expressed emotions and was hard as a rock. He was a grumpy man 24/7. He never allowed for anyone at home to show their emotions, and when someone did, he always became angry at them for overreacting. I've only seen him cry once and that's when his mother died. Because of this i only learned to deal with my emotions later on in life, and i would have it pent up as a child/teenager.

My mother was way too overprotective and clingy. Because of this she never really let me do stuff for myself, and always did it for me. Going for something simple as grocery shopping was something i only started doing at late 18s. This definitely damaged me early on, and made me a weak crybaby. As soon as something became hard i used to give up very fast etc etc. 

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

My parents always taught me to always put others above myself. Sounds like a good thing and it was but still I unavoidably have to unravel a lot of erroneous assumptions from it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Shiva99 How did you overcome the childish mentality, and the giving up?

I had a similar upbringing but i still struggle with being a child in a man's body.

28 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Shiva99 How did you overcome the childish mentality, and the giving up?

I had a similar upbringing but i still struggle with being a child in a man's body.

Being very frustrated with myself helped a lot. I saw how i couldn't do shit for myself, and because of that i had to make the changes or else i would suffer a lot, so i left myself no choice. David Goggins also helped me a lot. I started Building basic discipline by running etc and doing everything i didn't want to do. It's still a struggle sometimes, but it can't get the upperhand anymore like it did in the past. 

Also death contemplation and Life Purpose together with dharma helps me a lot. 

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:03 PM, Martin123 said:

I skimmed through it, felt the energy and then followed the inner guidance of my heart that said a gigantic ‘NOPE’, I hope that makes you feel more understood. 

"I hope that makes you feel more understood"

Do you actually believe there's a chance that that's the way someone feels after saying something like that to them? xD

And if so, can you maybe describe the process that lead to that though/belief? I would be very interested.

Edited by CultivateLove