Vipassana

Significance of Hair

11 posts in this topic

We all have it.. Most of us treat it like a decoration.

The tendency of ALL hair is to coil and lock up if left unbrushed and regularly washed with ONLY clean water.

The Hindus and the Rastafarians have been wearing dread locs for thousands of years.

What do you think the biological and spiritual significance of hair is? I doubt it is just something useless God gave us so we can make ourselves look better. 

I'm growing some attachment to my hair (no pun intended) & just the thought of cutting it seems very crude. I understand that getting a hair cut is painless but I would still want my limbs if it was painless to cut them. 

It just seems something deeply grained into our culture especially in developing countries where a long hair is automatically associated with being a Thug / Druggie / Hippie etc and a neat cut is the mark of a 'normal' human. 

Would love to hear your thoughts and any knowledge you have about this topic! 

Correction: *We all actually don't have it. How could I forget  :P:D*

Edited by Vipassana

Well, I used to think that my hair is important for some reason. I mean, I take care of that thing for years. Then one day suddenly I decided to go bald. Went to barber got my cut. That's it ! It's been two years, still I shave my head weekly. It feels like a relief.

Edited by Sucuk Ekmek

3 people I know (males) that care a lot about their hair are very judgmental about other people's hair. That may tell you something...

Doesn't seem relevant to me

I'm 19 and I shave my head because it's just easier.

Edited by Espaim

@Vipassana well I am a Sikh too . We never cut our hair .though I have never understood the significance and always questioned why. But when I got internet , I started researching about it.it took different analogies and kind of made by own analogy and that is :

To cut hair is painless , because hair may be used a tool for spiritual purposes, as when one shaves his head life energy tends to move towards the head. But hair may be kept long if we look at yogananda’s philosophy who said 

“The spinal cord is like an upturned tree, with man’s hair as its roots, and afferent and efferent nerves as branches.” Elsewhere Yogananda explains: “Like an upturned plant, man similarly absorbs through his hair electric currents helpful to the body.”———ABOY

Basically hair maybe used as a spiritual weapon if you know how to use it . But that will help if you follow path of hardcore yoga or Buddhist meditation . 

"All troubles come to an end when the ego dies"

"God has become man; man will become God again"

@Vipassana the most valuable info i've heard on it is here :)

Edited by DrewNows

When I started using psychedelics- shamanic medicine, slowly I started loving myself more.  Like really... I used to never thing I was really attractive or anything... and like the love is so crazy that you just start loving everything about you... and so... I started really loving my hair and letting it grow out.  The beard too.

I used to always spend money getting a cool haircut and get worried about my hair.  Its really cool because it reminds me of the "path" of not caring what people think, of the transformation you go through... 

Its cool to deconstruct that systemic norm of having to have your hair a certain way.  People judge you sometimes and stereotype you but when you talk to them and dont judge them for judging you, and just connect person to person they start seeing your just another regular guy who just decided to let his hair grow out.

Edited by Nexeternity

I have chosen to keep only a few mm of hair on my head because it helps me focus on other things than how I look, which as a woman has been very helpful for my spiritual development. Also I can take shorter showers in the morning and use the time to meditate instead. 

From The Law of One :

"

Questioner: You mentioned in an earlier session that the hair was an antenna. Could you expand on that statement as to how that works?

Ra: I am Ra. It is difficult to so do due to the metaphysical nature of this antenna-effect. Your physics are concerned with measurements in your physical complex of experience. The metaphysical nature of the contact of those in time/space is such that the hair, as it has significant length, becomes as a type of electrical battery which stays charged and tuned and is then able to aid contact even when there are small anomalies in the contact."

tl/dr: Your hair is an antenna to contact your spirit guides/ aliens / whatever you want  better xD

Edited by wavydude

I feel like cutting hair short helps to disidentify with ego / personality and body. I always had cycles of growing my hair longer and that cutting them very short.

I won't judge someone for dreads but yeah in my opinion they are gross ?‍♂️ though I'll admit that's conditioning and I've never really seen them up close. Maybe they are beautiful.

I imagine a long time ago they were more popular due to lack of hair products and cosmeticians.  It's all just vanity and of course you should follow your heart

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay