Forrest Adkins

Is meditation useless?

189 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2020 at 5:56 PM, Aaron p said:

why you bashing psychedelics bro?

I got more insight in 15 mins with a 0.05 gram dose of DMT than I got with nearly a year and a half of one hour a day, every day practise with extremely hardcore practises.

@Ibn Sina (with reference to the quote^) be careful your not being guilty of what your telling other people...

I got a fuck tonn of wisdom after I took my pill. Why does wisdom not come from taking a pill? What chemicals are in your brain that allow you to form wisdom in the first place? This personally just sounds like dogma to me. Why can't a pill grant incredible insight? Who says so?

This sounds dogmatic to the point of irrationality ?

Well, I never said that pills do not give you wisdom. I said, pills give you almost 0 wisdom i.e 0.1% , or may be more, 1%. It gives you the insight /the 0.1% wisdom. (which I did wrote , but here your ego has distorted the text and made you believe that I was writing the drugs do not give you insight, this is ego distortion), the experience, not the wisdom. The influence of your ego is so strong and it is so sensitive that it  tries to defend itself even when there is no threat against, let alone if there was a real threat to it. What  you claim to have 'gained' as wisdom is not wisdom. For example, if you were wise,  you wouldn't be defending your position about psychedelics. Anyone who tries to protect their position in an egoic, clingy and irrational way is unwise. So yes, the psychedelics did you the experience, but here you are arguing with me trying to defend your position , because your ego feels threat. I could talk something bad about some other belief your ego clings to, the same will be the result again you will be reactive and defensive just like you were being previously and may be you are being defensive right now as you are reading these words. Do you notice your defensiveness rightnow, that exactly is your ego reacting, and you need to let it go and disidentify with it. It happens subconsciously so it's not something you can get rid off easily, it takes a ton of spiritual practice to be able to do that, most people are clingy to their ego and hence suffer when their ego is threatened just like exactly right as you are reading this, notice the suffering as your ego feels threatened about the uselessness of psychedelics. Your ego hasn't dissolved. The only right answer  is a single smiling emoji :). This will be your answer always if you had wisdom.

"This sounds dogmatic to the point of irrationality ?"
It sounds to you but is it? To you it is irrational or to your ego?  Give a detail rational systematic analysis of how what I said is irrational. If you aren't able to give a detail, logical, deductive analysis, then that means your claim comes from your ego, your irrational ego which makes claims without a logical structure but to protect itself. If you are able to do so, it comes from the logical mind. For example someone might say 2*2 is 5, does it come from the ego or from the logical mind? If it comes from logical mind they will say 2*2 is 4, this is because the * sign implies- 2 +2, 2 when added to itself 2 times is 4 not 2. This is the difference.

Edited by Ibn Sina

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

@Ibn Sina fo bro don't care about your silly ass ?. What psychedelics have you done just out of interest?

Edited by Aaron p

7 minutes ago, modmyth said:

(This itself is really meaningless to me personally, since I'm not here to achieve my "highest state possible" or whatever.)

@modmyth What do you want then?

I don't think it matters what other people say about meditation and whether or not its useless. Go to a 10 day course, start a home practice, and figure it out for yourself. The technique and its results will speak for itself to you. If at that point you find it useless then you have your answer but it's foolish to take others' word for it before trying it out for yourself. 

"You Create Magic" 

The thing about meditation is that it's all you and it goes only as far as your willing to take it.

@cetus56 key point, talk a “normal” person about Meditation they will talk about reduced anxiety and stress, whereas here the direction is very different. 

@modmyth wdym by 3 phases of Enlightenment? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 why do you think they get reduced anxiety and stress? It's because they realize Truth at the experience of their body. It's not some random byproduct. 

"You Create Magic" 

@Flowerfaeiry Potentially, just from the people I’ve spoken to, they have no understanding of non-duality usually or enlightenment, sometimes Buddhism. 

Realizing truth goes way deeper in my experience than reduced stress and anxiety, I think it’s more the effects meditation can have if done regularly in terms Of reducing the stream of thoughts and allowing emotions. 

However, I guess you could say it’s related to truth but is certainly not an awakening of any kind in most cases. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi