Donald

What Do You Think About Eckhart Tolle's Book " The Power Of Now "

34 posts in this topic

Great Book. It is about the genuine experience of Echart. It also help us to be enlightened.

I read it long time ago, I liked it, however it might look that he does not really drop into details that much about technical part. For sure good for the start....;)

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

A solid book for getting introduced into the topic of enlightenment. However, his techniques often imply that you have to stop thinking. Like, literally try to stop your thinking. That's what I did for a while after reading his book, trying to be present all the time. Just as a warning, that's going to get you nowhere if you're a serious seeker. It actually requires a lot of unnecessary effort too. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

35 minutes ago, bobbyward said:

@jjer94 is stopping thought not what self inquiry is ??

what do you think is the best method then ??

Self inquiry is not stopping thought. It's examining yourself and your experience by asking deep questions such as, "What is the purpose of this emotion," or "What am I?" or "What is aware of all of this?" or "What is Truth?" and many, many more.

There is no best method; it really depends on your personality type. Although any method ought to involve some first person experience, because that's where the awakenings happen. I'm an analytical/philosophical type of person, so writing down all of my questions and dissecting them one by one was my main method. For more info on that, check out this post: 

Cheers!

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

It's a beautiful book to start with, if you want to explore Eckhart Tolle further check out his other book (A New Earth) which digs around wider aspects in the subject. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Eckhart Tolle is enlightened. But I think his teachings are mostly just about becoming conscious of your unconsciousness, i.e beginning of the breaking of identification with thoughts and emotions. Not full enlightenment. Only the early stages.

I can recognise the concept of stopping your thoughts, however the you that try to stop them are your thoughts. The only thing capable of "stopping thoughts" is the constant light of awareness/consciousness. If one stays in that, then thoughts will come to an end, at least in the way you knew them from the beginning, on their own. So both self Inquiry and mindfullness helps. Btw (Eckhart Tolle was the one to get me started on this subject).

Tolle's book is straightforward, practical and complete. It does a great job of stripping spirituality from religious terms. And the insistence on the awareness of the body and on the senses is essential. We tend to forget that in all our bla-bla about enlightenment.

The guy looks and talks like a marmot under sedative, but he is definitely a Master.

For me it was really helpful. I'm listening to and audiobook and it's very enlightening.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I didn't really like his book. I've read maybe 20 self help books which led me to watching videos here on Actualized, and Eckhart Tolle's has been my least favorite one. I can't relate to the simplicity in his explanations of what he went through. I really need books to dig into the ideas they have (unless it's simple affirmations work). It came off as preachy without having something tangible for me to relate to. I do understand living in the now and how it can be life altering and motivating, which it has done for me. I can see why maybe someone who doesn't need wordy or thought out explanations would love his book. 

I'll have to agree with swanlights on this one, but only because I read A New Earth first and thought Power of Now as a bit of a letdown. I think New Earth is fantastic and would recommend it to anyone. Not sure why Power of Now seems so much more popular... 

Edited by Eastbranch
Typo

I loved it! read it once and recommended it to many people. He gives very useful techniques on how to become present. Explains how this moment is your most important moment of all you life.

Initiated a major shift in my Journey. From "trying to attain something" to just being PRESENT.

14 hours ago, swanlights said:

I didn't really like his book. I've read maybe 20 self help books which led me to watching videos here on Actualized, and Eckhart Tolle's has been my least favorite one.

Which one would you recommend?

It planted the enlightenment seed in me, that's all I can say about it. Before that I thought religion and spirituality was a bunch of hogwash invented for stupid woolly people. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)