ugreglo

AI, mass surveliance, authoritarianism, VR and other things are coming (and are here)

15 posts in this topic

Ted Kaczynski clearly did have a point, technology can bring much more bad than you think

Health risks from spending too much time at the computer become a lot less alarming when you look at the bigger picture, the more science regresses in some areas the more likely it is that it won't be abused, because the breakthrough that could have been developed didn't happen

There is no revolution awaiting if something like AI powered mass surveillance happens (kind of like the CCTV combined with AI that china has), only more conformity or the same amount of conformity

Tor and other tools are there, but as more time passes there's more potential for people in positions of power to get around these

It's really weird. I do not know what to expect in the future, but even now it seems that the Internet rules the world. Of course, on the one hand, we have awesome technologies such as smart home systems. We have recently installed one in our new house. I wonder how it works. We can control almost everything in the house, starting with the heating system and finishing with door locks. Motion detectors, fire sensors, cameras, alarms. The company is called Ajax. They produce a modern product for a good price. If we already have it now, what can we wait for in the future?

i think i want to try a digital detox soon-ish, for two weeks or a month

Welcome to life. Where everything is constantly evolving.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Whats wrong with VR, as in Virtual Reality?

If I were you, I'd be more worried about Augmented Reality. When AR glasses become popular, every human being wearing them becomes another pair of eyes for the big bro scanning faces of people. Possibly even videofeed. This will happen, unless they physically separate the cameras and LIDAR sensors from the internet, which they wont because even the fucking car brakes are connected to the internet nowadays.

EDIT: My dumbass just answered to over a year old topic.

Edited by Hansu

Is this really true about china? This is freaky! 

Damn i love black mirror but maybe it gives inspiration to people to make the episodes a reality

As a small aside, I read an interesting article a while back about how disruptive of a technology 3D Printing has the potential to turn out to be in regards to public safety. Once the technology matures, the potential arises for any individual to use it to print and assemble firearms that are basically untraceable. Even with lax gun control laws in the US, at least there's still some level of oversight and restrictions on who's able to obtain a firearm. The sense I got is that while this is not practical right now (since there are easier ways of obtaining a weapon than buying a 3D Printer and assembling a printed gun), that could change in the future as the technology matures. Could be that these concerns are alarmist and won't pan out, but the idea doesn't seem implausible on the face of it.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@ugreglo Double edged sword, Technology is the reason we're able to all discuss on here, find incredible teachers all around the world, connect with anyone in minutes etc 

But, it also has the potential to be abused like you see in China in a technocratic kind of way. 

So, then the question begs, is it the technologies fault, or the people / groups that are using it and what agenda they have. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Oh Thoughty2!. I missed watching his channel. I also missed watching Black Mirror. Wonder if the creator will create something of a COVID19 episode =)).

On 1/19/2021 at 7:38 AM, datamonster said:

I think the Chinese model is actually superior to the Western one. For the Chinese people, government surveillance isn't a problem because they have a completely different perspective and relationship to government and society.

They see themselves as part of a large group where everyone has to contribute and do their part, whereas in the west, we tend to see ourselves as individuals disconnected from everyone else and the state and everyone thinks they can do whatever they want, especially in America. This is pure egotism and a huge problem.

living in china sounds shitty. though I am not trying to raise up america by saying this. 

40 minutes ago, Axiomatic said:

living in china sounds shitty. though I am not trying to raise up america by saying this. 

I'm always going to feel more qualified talking about the shitty aspects of American culture, but that doesn't mean other Societies aren't also shitty in thier own idiosyncratic ways.

For America, I'd sum it up by saying that the living conditions for many, many people are far worse than you'd expect for what's supposedly the richest country in the world.

Edited by DocWatts

1 hour ago, DocWatts said:

I'm always going to feel more qualified talking about the shitty aspects of American culture, but that doesn't mean other Societies aren't also shitty in thier own idiosyncratic ways.

For America, I'd sum it up by saying that the living conditions for many, many people are far worse than you'd expect for what's supposedly the richest country in the world.

yeah thats obvious. Ive hung out in many hoods, and been to Baltimore as well lol. But for some reason, you give me the option of here or China, I'd say here. And maybe thats just because I am culturally more familiar with America, but China just seems like it fuckin sucks to me. 

Kaczynski's claim is that technology is going to spin out of control and that the rulers, who think they can control it, in fact cannot.    I tend to agree.  Technology increases exponentially.  Look how quickly the Internet took over the world.  And nanotechnology is going to be more powerful than the laser, computers, and the Internet combined.   It’s effect hasn’t even begun.  Despite all the hype, there has been no breakthrough in AI, but when it happens it will be another seismic event.  

It’s interest that the Bible begins with man being kicked out of the Garden of Eden for eating the fruit of knowledge.   In the Tower of Babel story,  men unite to build a tower to heaven which God foils with multiple languages.    Our technology is increasing exponentially while our consciousness to use it responsibly is not.  Will higher consciousness step in and sabotage the entire project before we destroy ourselves?       

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

4 minutes ago, Axiomatic said:

yeah thats obvious. Ive hung out in many hoods, and been to Baltimore as well lol. But for some reason, you give me the option of here or China, I'd say here. And maybe thats just because I am culturally more familiar with America, but China just seems like it fuckin sucks to me. 

I live just outside of Detroit, which is something approaching the City equivalent of a Failed State. I wouldn't be surprised if Material living conditions were better for many middle class people in Beijing than they are for some of the worst neighborhoods in Detroit.

That said, you're not going to be have your life destroyed for Publicly questioning the government over here. Of course that's to deny that people don't have thier lives destroyed by arbitrary applications of Power in a flawed Democracy, but most people most of the time are going to enjoy a far greater degree of personal autonomy under a flawed but still Democratic system.