7thLetter

Do Multivitamins Work?

12 posts in this topic

What is your opinion on multivitamins? Are they only for certain people who follow a certain diet, or no one at all? Are they harmful to your health in any way?

There's a handful of articles on Google that say things along the lines of "It doesn't work" "It's harmful," but then there's the articles that hold a neutral position on multivitamins.

I just bought a pack of 250 vitamins which will last me almost a year. Should I finish it off and never buy them again, or just stop taking them?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter If you a have diverse healthy diet they are just a waste of money. (except for D3 ) Vitamins don't improve health you just need a decent saturation of any given vitamin in your body so it can perform certain chemical reactions. Think of them like the Oil or windshieldwater for your car. It doesnt improve the Performance of the car in any way if you fill up the tanks half full or fill them to the brink, you just need enough so each thing can serve its function.

Nowhere near as good as natural multivitamins from freshly squeezed organic fruits and vegetables. I challenge you to compare.

When i make a freshly squeezed juice in my slow juicer, 1 million red-bulls cannot compare to the "aliveness" i feel.

If you had to supplement, look for (Freeze-dried) Whole food-sourced, organic multivitamins.

2c

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

That depends on so many factors that it would take a day to list them all. 

First of all, unless you have an exceeding metabolic need, you will be peeing most of that stuff in the toilet. And while there is some rationale for multivitamins for therapeutic purposes for people who are malnourished or just come from years of horrible diet, it is important to consider the quality, the cost, the manufacturing process and in case of minerals the type of ion they are attached to...e.g. calcium carbonate is probably 10 times inferior to calcium citrate, a cheap magnesium gluconate is no match for magnesium citrate an so on...

But like guys already said, no supplement will ever beat an actual food and in most cases the individual amount in a capsule are limited by the maximum size of the capsule, very often coming packed in many excipients that help to hold that stuff together. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

The problem with multivitamins is that 1. There is conflicting information from industries with an agenda and 2. Everyone has an opinion.

I heard a london based nutritionist on his podcast refute the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C as a nonsense, and that it can be taken in much higher doses daily without side effect. He then cited trials of vit C intraveneously injected into patients at incredibly high doses to some good effect at destroying misbehaving cells.

Use your intuition. I supplement certain vitamins but i would agree with anyone who says a balanced diet is more important.

@7thLetter I take a multi vitamin because I don't know if I'm getting enough of what I need in my diet. So I take one as an insurance policy against developing a deficiency. For example I have no way of knowing if there are any vitamins or minerals in the food I'm buying. There are some, but levels are decreasing and it's variable.   I also take a magnesium supplement because magnesium is the most important mineral for the body. I also take vitamin d3 in the winter months (you dont need it in the summer). And I take ascorbic acid to bowel tollerance (which varies depending on how much inflammation I have).

I never get sick. 

Here is a good article written by a PhD who has challenged the NIH and their work regarding vitamin c recommendations. 

https://wholefoodsmagazine.com/columns/vitamin-connection/the-science-of-vitamin-c-research-on-optimizing-blood-and-cellular-levels/

@Good-boy @pluto Glad I made this post. Didn’t know what synthetic multivitamins were and how much garbage they put in there. Now I’m stuck with enough to last me a year. Definitely going to switch to organic multivitamins. But for the time being, is it better to take these Centrum multivitamins or just not take them at all while waiting to get my hands on some organic multivitamins?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

@Good-boy @pluto Glad I made this post. Didn’t know what synthetic multivitamins were and how much garbage they put in there. Now I’m stuck with enough to last me a year. Definitely going to switch to organic multivitamins. But for the time being, is it better to take these Centrum multivitamins or just not take them at all while waiting to get my hands on some organic multivitamins?

Think of this way. Taking synthetic multivitamins is like drinking store bought juice for vitamins/minerals where consuming whole foods is actually getting the vitamins/minerals more directly themselves in the most efficient form and easiest for the body to understand and assimilate.

If i were you i would look into (freeze-dried/whole-food) multi vitamins or superfoods which are very "nutrient dense" and replace multiple vitamins/minerals in which is a wiser choice in the long run. Spirulina, Chlorella, Cacao Powder, Bee Pollen, Wheatgrass, Hemp seeds ect...

I do supplement from time to time but because i have already been supplementing, detoxing and cleaning my body for years i no longer need to do it as much or as intense as most people so in the begining its good for at least 3 - 6 months to go heavy and really deep clean your body with fresh whole foods and herbal and natural supplements then gradually ease down to a more simple and minimalist approach once you start to feel like your alive, happy, joyful, vibrant and loving self again :)

?
❤️

B R E A T H E