Chi_

I will be spending nearly a year at an Ashram in India. Any tips or advice?

30 posts in this topic

I'll be flying next week to Sadhguru's Ashram (Isha Yoga Centre). Most of my time will be spent in various volunteering activities and the rest for my own spiritual work (about 4-5 hours a day). 

I have planned this quite extensively but since I'll be going there for a long time, I would not want to miss anything important. Therefore I'm turning towards your help with any advice for my time there and also any tips for things to bring with me? Cheers! :)

You're so Blessed ? sadhguru really has a grip on you ? just dissolve yourself and good luck and make the most out of it :)?

Edited by Salvijus

Not that you wouldn’t do this, but try to remain as grateful as possible that you have this opportunity. Even if it starts getting difficult (4-5 hours per day is NO joke...), make sure to keep dat gratitude for this amazing opportunity. This is awesome though :) 

Will you have access to the internet? Or is it like an off the grid type of thing?

@Chi_ , Beware! Sadguru is deeply nationalistic and a fundamentalist Hindu. Much of what he preaches is irrational. For example, he deifies the Indian cow. Cow slaughter is a crime, he says, which criminalises beef-eating communities, namely the Muslim.  This streak of Hinduism is giving rise to vigilante groups who target Muslim communities raising cattle as their livelihood. 

Read this:: https://www.indiaspend.com/hindu-vigilantes-push-rajasthans-cow-trade-into-decline/

People can be enlightened (or have siddhis) but are hugely flawed in other ways. They, after all, live within the confines of a human brain and ego. Please maintain your critical faculties while you are there.

Edited by astrokeen

@astrokeen LOL what you mean is that sadhguru's teachings are non-dualism put forth in nationalistic and Hindu terminology. 

Much different statement to what you wrote 

no comment on the rest of the stuff 

@Aakash don't be silly! My aim was to add a cautionary note to this stream of open adulation. These Gurus are mainly human - I've been through a few.

3 hours ago, Salvijus said:

You're so Blessed ? sadhguru really has a grip on you ? just dissolve yourself and good luck and make the most out of it :)?

Thank you Salvijus! ?  But you have been to the Ashram before right? Any small advice about staying there?

2 hours ago, Consilience said:

Not that you wouldn’t do this, but try to remain as grateful as possible that you have this opportunity. Even if it starts getting difficult (4-5 hours per day is NO joke...), make sure to keep dat gratitude for this amazing opportunity. This is awesome though :) 

Yes, I am sure that times will get hard at times and I will remember your advice then. Thank you.

Will you have access to the internet? Or is it like an off the grid type of thing?

You will have internet on your smartphone through data and also they apparently have internet at the reception of the ashram. However due to the heavy schedule, the ambience of the ashram and my spiritual practices, I doubt I will be inclined to use it or have the time in the first place.

Edited by Chi_

1 hour ago, astrokeen said:

@Chi_ , Beware! Sadguru is deeply nationalistic and a fundamentalist Hindu. Much of what he preaches is irrational. For example, he deifies the Indian cow. Cow slaughter is a crime, he says, which criminalises beef-eating communities, namely the Muslim.  This streak of Hinduism is giving rise to vigilante groups who target Muslim communities raising cattle as their livelihood. 

Read this:: https://www.indiaspend.com/hindu-vigilantes-push-rajasthans-cow-trade-into-decline/

People can be enlightened (or have siddhis) but are hugely flawed in other ways. They, after all, live within the confines of a human brain and ego. Please maintain your critical faculties while you are there.

Thank you for your concern. I am actually just going to the ashram to take some time off to devote to my own spiritual growth and remove my compulsive tendencies. So it doesn't really matter about Sadhguru's personal opinions on anything as I have met many people who have spent long times at his ashram and it has had a phenomenal impact on them. After all, what is wrong with Hindus or Indians :D 

With that said, it is very easy for people to mis-interpret the words of very spiritually advanced individuals. I have fallen to the same trap myself but I learnt to always keep an open-mind about things that I am usually not comfortable hearing about because there might be some truth to it that I do not know yet. 

Edited by Chi_

@Chi_ , I was actually born a Hindu. nothing wrong with them.

Remember that an open mind is also a rational and critical mind.

Edited by astrokeen

@Chi_ be careful when rain season happens. Many people get ill, Especially Europeans :)

And sleep outside not indoors. (my personal prefrence, just an encouragement) :)

2 hours ago, Salvijus said:

@Chi_ be careful when rain season happens. Many people get ill, Especially Europeans :)

And sleep outside not indoors. (my personal prefrence, just an encouragement) :)

Yeah I think I'll also get some vaccinations before I go. Do you think that's necessary btw? Also thanks for tip about sleeping, I didn't even know that's possible :)

16 hours ago, okulele said:

@Chi_ Ask them if you can microdose psychedelics during your stay :D

Megadosing only ;)

@Chi_ Tis a bold move. I like it. Good luck! Don't become an Isha zombie while you are there. Think for yourself and be independent. When you return let us know how it went.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Chi_ Tis a bold move. I like it. Good luck! Don't become an Isha zombie while you are there. Think for yourself and be independent. When you return let us know how it went.

I definitely know what you mean by Isha Zombie and I will keep away from that for sure :D Thanks Leo 

@Truth Addict  ❤️❤️

Edited by Chi_

@Chi_ there are differerent opinions on this. I think It's not needed and my hatha teacher sayed the same. But you do what you feel like. 

Edited by Salvijus