Emerald

Any other Tarot Readers Here?

43 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post this, but I wanted to start a discussion here about Tarot.

I think The Tarot is a very helpful tool for looking at things from different angles than we're used to. And this is because it engages the part of our mind that's more visual and narrative as opposed to logical and linear. 

So, it's kind of like an archetypal language that can be mixed and matched to create new stories that pertain to the experience of being human.

I'd be interested in what other people's experiences are relative to interests in or using the Tarot.

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@Emerald I haven’t done it but I have thought about about it. And it would seem conclusive that if I picked a set of cards if I knew about ego and enlightenment that I could predict the likely outcome of an event. Given probability is actually impossible with infinite intelligence around. Anything with probability is ironically accurate. Even the probability of palm reading may unprobable but it makes it even more probable. 

What im trying to say that is if I drew a card that represented death. I would not say that you are going to die, without considering the other cards. What I would say is that something dear to you that you are attached to is something you will have to let go of. (Death of ego) because misconception of death is that something actually dies. 

So the more conscious your terms of understanding the said archetype. The more probable the event to the point where it is going to happen because it represents infinite intelligence. 

For example the person might lose a 10 dollar bill down the sewage drain. This is a representation of death 

1 hour ago, Aakash said:

@Emerald I haven’t done it but I have thought about about it. And it would seem conclusive that if I picked a set of cards if I knew about ego and enlightenment that I could predict the likely outcome of an event. Given probability is actually impossible with infinite intelligence around. Anything with probability is ironically accurate. Even the probability of palm reading may unprobable but it makes it even more probable. 

What im trying to say that is if I drew a card that represented death. I would not say that you are going to die, without considering the other cards. What I would say is that something dear to you that you are attached to is something you will have to let go of. (Death of ego) because misconception of death is that something actually dies. 

So the more conscious your terms of understanding the said archetype. The more probable the event to the point where it is going to happen because it represents infinite intelligence. 

For example the person might lose a 10 dollar bill down the sewage drain. This is a representation of death 

I agree with your perspective in this way. Basically, these archetypal images are always relevant to our lives in some way, as we're always running through these cycles in some form or another. So, no matter which card you draw, you can find a connection to it. And through finding that connection, a deeper understanding can emerge.

Personally, don't get very interested in Tarot through a divination perspective... though I don't rule it out. I do like to assume a sense of synchronicity, but this is less important to me. My interest is more in line with helping the mind pick up on meanings and patterns that it typically wouldn't, to give better insight to either me or the querent. 

It's kind of like how a fable works. So, you can tell someone not to lie... or you can tell them the fable of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf". And since people are natural story tellers and our first language is the visual language, we can imagine the consequences of those actions as opposed to just knowing them rationally. 

So, it engages more of the heart and the intuitive faculties than just the intellect.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Yeah, I see where your going. You would have to ask them questions on their fears basically and use the card archetype as the basis of the question. The fable would be along the lines of how the fear was unconsciously bought about. 

For the boy who cried wolf... the moral would be to be more responsible with your words.. 

or that decite can back fire at any time 

im not entirely sure I understood you, but is it going along these lines ? 

Edited by Aakash

@Emerald I just started a topic on the meaning behind regular playing cards under Free Wisdom books in High Consciousness Resources. It's from chapter 9 of Chance and Choice. I would be welcome to a synthcizing with the Tarot if you're interested. It may have to be moved to somewhere else. I just now posted it,,, Do you think that would work at all?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Emerald I haven't done Tarot reading, but I've gotten my fair share of tarot reads, among other psychic readings(other types I've also practiced myself). 

I was quite surprised how often some of the reads really hit home. Prior to experimenting with, I had dismissed them as just playing with cards and doing some guesswork. 

One of the big things in getting more of out of them was getting more and more in touch with intuition and feeling. I always had a proclivity toward the spiritual, but there was still often this barrier much too intellect oriented. The interesting finding regarding that is this was the case as the person being read, not just for the reader.

With that in mind, I'd like to mention a related finding about psychic insight in general (something that seems to be the case for tarot, channelers, etc.): all these readings are relational/relative. From how often they've resonated, I believe readers often do really see something other than their own projections. (I say that after applying skepticism and really trying to investigate and not prematurely buy-in). However, there is always a filter. The reader's own preferences/biases/ defilements come into play. This happens on an individual and group level-- I noticed groups of people with similar POV's/ communities would have similar impressions, even though there would also large variation in the reading within those communities.

Navigating the limitations of reading, accounting for distortions, distinguishing between what different readers said and whether they noticing a different aspect of something or if the differences were some delusions/projections was difficult. Due to that, I decided psychic reading is best used as a supplemental aid for self-awareness and self-examination. When done well with the right attitude from both reader and querent, it can function as a more in-depth form of psychotherapy. Ime, it's very easy to become subconsciously enchanted with readings and forget the limits, even if there is a conscious effort to be objective about it.  At least, that was a big pitfall for me.

An observation/hypothesis that I felt really put things in perspective is that these abilities are something everyone has to some extent, just with all sorts of variation in both degree and type of perception. For instance, most unknowingly acknowledge it when they comment on someone's vibe or give their impression of someone.  It's been helpful approach it and just getting someone's opinion on something, just by different and through a wider field of perception, but many of the same underlying mechanisms. 

That's my 2 cents based on my exp so far. There's ofc a lot I don't really know/understand and could be mistaken about it all. :) 

A friend of mine once did a Tarot reading of me.

It was surprising good.

It's not that it predicts your future, but rather is works by getting your own mind to clarify its own desires and obstacles.

It's almost like an occult form of life coaching, where the answers don't come from the coach but from the mind of the person being coached.

The mistake people make regarding Tarot is thinking of it as some fortune telling device. It's not that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Emerald I have just started getting into the Tarot. I have the Hermetic Tarot deck. Beautiful illustrations. Though I bought it for learning to do Divinations and contemplations specifically, Major Arcana. I will probably get deeper into it as I progress.

Any literature you recommend on the Tarot?

@Emerald Btw, if you get really into it, I think it'd be pretty cool, to cover it in-depth on your channel. You're well-spoken, and I've found most who speak on it to be kind of lacking in presentation quality. I think you could discuss it really well. 

I haven't done any Tarot yet, but I used I-Ching for that purpose before.
From one point of view, divination can be viewed as a mirror for the mind like @Leo Gura says.

However, the symbolic nature of the oracle has another use.
If meditated upon, it will establish a language between the conscious and the subconscious and is a gateway to altered states of consciousness.
I believe that is how it was originally used for the divinatory purposes. Looks very dangerous when viewed this way.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki @remember your description is in accordance with my experience. 

No wonder the Catholic Church is so afraid of it. The Bible can be used the same way. 

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

tarot is a gateway to purple, blue uses purple for alignment structure higher metaphysics, while purple focuses on little dayly battles. purple can undermine or enrich blue by swimming in the water blue disconnected itself from through dogmatism.

Edited by remember

Funny how things go full circle with self-discovery. 

I wonder if these conscious-subconscious gateways can be leveraged ay yellow. That would require building a personal system of magic. 

Edited by tsuki

@tsuki no not funny it`s a mystery, a quest. the card you nurish the card you gain, but there is more than one card in the deck and you never know which one is hidden.

and which one is yours to play. sometimes the cards play you much more than you could say you play the cards.

Edited by remember

@remember you remind me of @now is forever. Welcome back! 

Edited by tsuki

I use them, they are like a good friend who always tells you the brutal truth but also knows when you need some encouragement. Quite like a few people I've know from here on the forum. :)  I have the "The Wild Unknown" set, because I deeply resonate with nature and animal symbolism. I think it's important to love the deck and the art on it.

Intuition and faith in the cards or a spirit guide/inner being behind them is important. Sometimes I feel for the right card but normally I choose it visually, I see "personalities" and subtle qualities or energy from the back of the card. Most of my insights and awakenings have come to me visually, so I guess it makes sense that I'd use my strongest sense. I'm guessing that those of us like that would gravitate to tarot more. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A friend of mine once did a Tarot reading of me.

It was surprising good.

It's not that it predicts your future, but rather is works by getting your own mind to clarify its own desires and obstacles.

It's almost like an occult form of life coaching, where the answers don't come from the coach but from the mind of the person being coached.

The mistake people make regarding Tarot is thinking of it as some fortune telling device. It's not that.

Actually, I've thought the same thing. I do both life-coaching and Tarot reading (both as lines of work), and they're quite similar.

The main difference with the Tarot, in facilitating a person to find their own answers is that you're using a visual framing device, that has a more direct link to the archetypal/narrative aspects of the mind.

So, the Tarot is a lot like a vehicle that can drive you to aspects of the mind that you would have a much harder time reaching without that vehicle. The difference between trying to walk across the desert versus driving.

Emotionalmastery.org

14 hours ago, Aakash said:

Yeah, I see where your going. You would have to ask them questions on their fears basically and use the card archetype as the basis of the question. The fable would be along the lines of how the fear was unconsciously bought about. 

For the boy who cried wolf... the moral would be to be more responsible with your words.. 

or that decite can back fire at any time 

im not entirely sure I understood you, but is it going along these lines ? 

It's similar to that. But it's often much more open. 

The way I work, is usually that I have the person draw the first card at random. It's the significator card, which means it represents themselves in their current state.

Then, I share the general meaning of the card, and ask them if it resonates with them and how. And from there, I pull the other cards in the spread using that same narrative thread from the significator, as I'm using the visuals of the cards to FIND the story that comes into my intuition.

But I am not a psychic. So, it's really about me using the connections that I see, to see if they fit with the other person. It's really them that has all the answers, and I'm just there to help them see it from different perspectives and to teach insights through the vehicle of the cards that are helpful in regard to the situation at hand.

Emotionalmastery.org

14 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Emerald I just started a topic on the meaning behind regular playing cards under Free Wisdom books in High Consciousness Resources. It's from chapter 9 of Chance and Choice. I would be welcome to a synthcizing with the Tarot if you're interested. It may have to be moved to somewhere else. I just now posted it,,, Do you think that would work at all?

It could work. I've actually seen people do Tarot readings with Uno cards before, for yes and no questions. 

There is a correlation between the swords, wands, cups, and pentacles suits in the Tarot and the spades, clubs, hearts, and diamonds respectively.

So, all you'd have to do is to see those connections and know the meaning behind the numbers, aces, and the court cards.

The Pages, Knights, Queens, and Kings are related to the Jacks, Queens, and Kings in the deck. But no card represents the pages, so it's a little different. Also, the Jokers relate to the Fool card in the Major Arcana of the Tarot. But otherwise, the other Major Arcana are not represented.

So, you could definitely read the Tarot, though it would be more limited and it wouldn't engage the narrative mind of archetypes, since there's not a lot of visuals to latch onto with a typical playing card deck.

Emotionalmastery.org