JevinR

Vegan Protein

36 posts in this topic

Need to become a yogi master, what are some vegan protein sources?

I just replied in the other thread where you asked but I thought you were asking about protein powders, not whole food sources. 

Good whole food sources would be lentils, quinoa, beans, tofu. You can find all sorts of vegan protein source articles on bodybuilding.com 

@ChimpBrain Also black beans, oats, and spirulina. I feel orgasmic a few days in. I feel like just sitting and being.

@JevinR Hemp Protein powder, it's pretty good stuff too, its a lot cheaper than whey but honestly it tastes awful in my opinion, i tried making it into tea and etc but it tastes disgusting but nevertheless it's cheap and vegan. =)

@Rocky I'd recommend the raw, organic, SunWarrior Warrior Blend, Vanilla flavor on Amazon. Just mix it in with some coconut or almond milk and bam. 

@JevinR Check out super-food algae Chlorella. It's 50 % plant based protein, contains all amino acids, omega-3 and 6, major minerals and vitamins, chlorophyl, digestive enzymes and probiotics, detoxifies and is a potent antioxidant. I put 1 tbls of Chlorella powder in my morning green smoothies and my energy never runs out. Plus you save on a cabinet full of expensive supplements. Make sure it's organic (for cleanness) and broken cell wall (for better absorption).

for some reason people have grown to usually vastly overestimate the importance of protein in our diets. protein is part of almost every plant-based food in existence, and on a balanced, plant-based diet, it's almost impossible not to get enough daily protein regardless of exactly what you eat.

Edited by Neill

15 hours ago, Neill said:

for some reason people have grown to usually vastly overestimate the importance of protein in our diets. protein is part of almost every plant-based food in existence, and on a balanced, plant-based diet, it's almost impossible not to get enough daily protein regardless of exactly what you eat.

Why wouldn't people believe that if hundreds of millions of dollars have been invested into educating people that this is the case?

@JevinR Same as everyone has said above: beans, nuts, lentils, oats, ect.. but its not actually as important as you think it is.  For the purposes of building muscle (which is usually what people care about when discussing protein) what's more important is getting enough calories to go with your workouts.

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

Nvm, I bought hemp protein powder forget this thread

Edited by JevinR

@Phocus Protein is not as important as calories? Protein is  calories. Where do you get this info?

Edited by JevinR

@JustinS I'm a vegetarian and I'm just wondering, does sun warrior go well with milk in terms of taste like whey does?

@Rocky Yes it does go well with any kind of milk, but I'd skimp out on cow milk and go almond, rice, or coconut. Cow milk are for calves brother that are supposed to help them grow something like 10lbs/day, that ain't for humans lol. We are the only species that drink other animal's milk. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sunwarrior-Warrior-Blend-Protein-Vanilla/dp/B00GXX3DFC

I'd recommend chocolate/

There are other great vegan proteins out there, got to do your research though. 

Best! 

Guys, I puked on hemp protein. I need some more vegan sources, I can't digest pea protein due to allergies so my only source would be soy. I do not want to consume large quantities of soy due to isoflavones. Only protein sources I have is quinoa and flax bread which is 6g a piece, black beans, and clif bars which are basically just sugar bars.

18 hours ago, JevinR said:

Guys, I puked on hemp protein. I need some more vegan sources, I can't digest pea protein due to allergies so my only source would be soy. I do not want to consume large quantities of soy due to isoflavones. Only protein sources I have is quinoa and flax bread which is 6g a piece, black beans, and clif bars which are basically just sugar bars.

http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/good_sources/good_sources_protein.htm

On June 11, 2016 at 7:08 PM, JevinR said:

@JevinR

Hi Jevin,

Just thought I would put in my two cents, since I have a completely different way of living and view of life. I respect everyone's views here, and no offense taken or judgements made. ?

I'm a raw vegan/fruitarian because of my food allergies, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm allergic to: soy, dairy, peanuts, gluten, eggs, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and bht.    I also avoid all table salt and processed sugar because they bring me headaches and bad acne. I don't eat anything cooked: no beans, pasta, or grains. Over consumption of grains causes me panic attacks and unnessesary bloating ( which to some people and in some cases, bloating is considered a sign of irritation or allergic reaction).  My diet consists of primarily raw fruits and raw vegetables and sprinkled in with nuts and seeds here and there on rare occasions. I workout almost every day, and I'm able to build muscle easily.  I'm in the best health I've ever been in. I've reversed my health issues including my ovarian cysts and my thyroid issues. And I'm often mistaken for being in my younger 20's. I'm 32. 

There is a lot personal debate and views on protein intake. From my experiences you can get plenty of protein and everything you need from a plant based diet, but then again everyone's body is different.  I must warn you when you weed things out of your diet (going vegan) it is extremely hard to go back to regular eating if you decide to later on. And depending on how bad you ate in your past, vegan eating can have a tendency to cause a lot of detox and detox symptoms: colds, flu like symptoms, headaches, etc.  just FYI if you didn't know. I'm not preaching, but showing care and concern, since I've personally experienced these symptoms as well as many vegan friends I know. After the symptoms are over, the other side is amazing. I only wish you the best and support you in whatever choice you make.  ?

By no means am I nutritionist, nor am I some crazy over the top animal rights activist, but I might suggest you reading this book, The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham. He talks about how you really don't need that much protein intake (and in a vegan diet), among other things that are not known by the general public.

Also something to keep in mind since you want to be a yogi master: being vegan doesn't necessarily mean it's a healthier lifestyle of eating. There are tons of junk food and processed food you can still eat- potato chips, soy burgers, coconut ice cream, etc.   What's important is eating clean. Fresh foods in their original state bring you much nutritional value.

And one last thing, eating clean and going vegan has been great and has added benefits. I can now focus more on my meditation and achieve a heightened state of awareness. My emotions and thoughts are now more in check and under my control. I also have more energy for yoga!

Best of luck my friend!

Much love and light!

Carrie 

I believe there are 8 essential amino acids you will need. There are plant sources of protein but the levels of the essential amino acids are never ideal. It also depends on your goals. If you want to build muscle most would recommend 1g of protein per pound of ideal body weight. GL

I am getting prepared to start a casual vegetarian diet using whole grains .legumes fruit and vegges. Its surprising how much protein is in some of the Vegetables.

Also many of the Chinese vegetables are loaded with protein and minerals  very tasty and they add some nice variety.

green-leafy-vegetables-list1.jpg

Edited by Beam

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 5:16 AM, Names are labels said:

@JevinR

Hi Jevin,

Just thought I would put in my two cents, since I have a completely different way of living and view of life. I respect everyone's views here, and no offense taken or judgements made. ?

I'm a raw vegan/fruitarian because of my food allergies, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm allergic to: soy, dairy, peanuts, gluten, eggs, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and bht.    I also avoid all table salt and processed sugar because they bring me headaches and bad acne. I don't eat anything cooked: no beans, pasta, or grains. Over consumption of grains causes me panic attacks and unnessesary bloating ( which to some people and in some cases, bloating is considered a sign of irritation or allergic reaction).  My diet consists of primarily raw fruits and raw vegetables and sprinkled in with nuts and seeds here and there on rare occasions. I workout almost every day, and I'm able to build muscle easily.  I'm in the best health I've ever been in. I've reversed my health issues including my ovarian cysts and my thyroid issues. And I'm often mistaken for being in my younger 20's. I'm 32. 

There is a lot personal debate and views on protein intake. From my experiences you can get plenty of protein and everything you need from a plant based diet, but then again everyone's body is different.  I must warn you when you weed things out of your diet (going vegan) it is extremely hard to go back to regular eating if you decide to later on. And depending on how bad you ate in your past, vegan eating can have a tendency to cause a lot of detox and detox symptoms: colds, flu like symptoms, headaches, etc.  just FYI if you didn't know. I'm not preaching, but showing care and concern, since I've personally experienced these symptoms as well as many vegan friends I know. After the symptoms are over, the other side is amazing. I only wish you the best and support you in whatever choice you make.  ?

By no means am I nutritionist, nor am I some crazy over the top animal rights activist, but I might suggest you reading this book, The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham. He talks about how you really don't need that much protein intake (and in a vegan diet), among other things that are not known by the general public.

Also something to keep in mind since you want to be a yogi master: being vegan doesn't necessarily mean it's a healthier lifestyle of eating. There are tons of junk food and processed food you can still eat- potato chips, soy burgers, coconut ice cream, etc.   What's important is eating clean. Fresh foods in their original state bring you much nutritional value.

And one last thing, eating clean and going vegan has been great and has added benefits. I can now focus more on my meditation and achieve a heightened state of awareness. My emotions and thoughts are now more in check and under my control. I also have more energy for yoga!

Best of luck my friend!

Much love and light!

Carrie 

Carrie I didnt know that about you!!!!! I want to go raw vegan ,give me your lights!!!!!!!