How to be wise

Reality is not infinite

95 posts in this topic

This is one thing that I disagree with Leo on. Reality is not infinite, rather the mind is infinite. What’s the difference? Well, reality can also exist beyond mind. And beyond mind, reality is just itself. It has no qualities. But the ‘material world’ is the mind. Everything you can know or understand is the mind. And that is infinite. Just a subtle difference I wanted to point out.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Sounds more like a difference in linguistic pointers than a difference in insight.

Infinite with a capital I... Reality with a capital R... transcend the 'reality/imaginary' and 'infinite/finite' dualities... 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

The problem is that you're saying that infinity is not infinite.

The other problem is that you think that the mind is something different from reality. But reality is imagination, so...

14 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

The problem is that you're saying that infinity is not infinite.

The other problem is that you think that the mind is something different from reality. But reality is imagination, so...

The reality that the mind creates is imaginary. Reality without the mind is not imaginary. 

6 minutes ago, Fishy said:

It's infinite, mind is reality. 

There can be reality without mind. For example, in a no-mind state.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

17 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

The reality that the mind creates is imaginary. Reality without the mind is not imaginary.

That's a distinction made by the mind.

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

This is one thing that I disagree with Leo on. Reality is not infinite, rather the mind is infinite. What’s the difference? Well, reality can also exist beyond mind. And beyond mind, reality is just itself. It has no qualities. But the ‘material world’ is the mind. Everything you can know or understand is the mind. And that is infinite. Just a subtle difference I wanted to point out.

You’re not disagreeing with Leo. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

4 minutes ago, Nahm said:

You’re not disagreeing with Leo. 

+1 :)

@How to be wise  what you are failing to see is that you're saying the same thing

Leo is saying EGGPLANT and You're saying AUBERGINE

Potato <> PoTAAto 

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

And beyond mind, reality is just itself. It has no qualities.

Even this statement is not sufficient to explain consciousness/reality/God. 

Every statement and no statement is and is not :o

6 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

+1 :)

@How to be wise  what you are failing to see is that you're saying the same thing

Leo is saying EGGPLANT and You're saying AUBERGINE

Potato <> PoTAAto 

Thanks...but also....Nope.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Are you saying that form/material is infinite and that its substance the formless is finite? 

The form is both finite and infinite (its identical) and the formless is infinite (again identical)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

2 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

Even this statement is not sufficient to explain consciousness/reality/God. 

Every statement and no statement is and is not :o

Consciousness and God are spiritual concepts created by the mind. Reality has no qualities.

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

Are you saying that form/material is infinite and that its substance the formless is finite? 

The form is both finite and infinite (its identical) and the formless is infinite (again identical)

The formless has no qualities. So to say finite/infinite are both wrong.

The mind is (or at least seems) infinite. But even that can’t be known.

Something which exists that has no qualities that can simultaneously take any an infinite number of qualities is infinite. 0 = infinity. 

It’s odd this isnt understood. Perhaps you need a direct experience of infinity either via psychedelics or meditation. Even on an intellectual level this isnt too difficult to grasp, as long as you’ve transcended the materialist paradigm. 

Moreover, this separation you’re creating between “mind” and “reality” doesn’t exist. It’s all one integrated, unified existence.  

Yes, the real 3d world we live in is finite. For example humans harvest salt rocks, turn them into small granis and eat it, the excrete it and the salt goes to the seas. Theres no way that small particles of salt in the sea will compact and turn into a hard rock again, so one day salt will disappear.

26 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Something which exists that has no qualities that can simultaneously take any an infinite number of qualities is infinite. 0 = infinity. 

It’s odd this isnt understood. Perhaps you need a direct experience of infinity either via psychedelics or meditation. Even on an intellectual level this isnt too difficult to grasp, as long as you’ve transcended the materialist paradigm. 

Moreover, this separation you’re creating between “mind” and “reality” doesn’t exist. It’s all one integrated, unified existence.  

Yes its so obvious. 

6 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Yes its so obvious. 

To whom is it obvious to?

36 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Notice that 0 is itself a quality. When I say that reality has no qualities, I’m not talking about the number 0.

To the mind, it appears as though reality is infinite. But that doesn’t make it so. 

39 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Even on an intellectual level this isnt too difficult to grasp, as long as you’ve transcended the materialist paradigm.

Notice that you can never confirm infinity. By definition of infinity! You can only say that “it appears as though the mind is infinite.”

41 minutes ago, Consilience said:

The mind is a subset of reality. It is possible to erase the mind and keep reality, but not vice versa. For example, in a no-mind state, the mind ceases but reality continues.

1 hour ago, AlldayLoop said:

To whom is it obvious to?

Hehe yea. Let's skip the whole non dual game for this time, even tho it's funny?

Edited by Fishy