Natasha

Did You Know? - Interesting Food Facts and Trivia

114 posts in this topic

Did you know that pork fat contains Omega-9 oleic acid with 60% monounsaturated fat? Monounsaturated oleic fat has been found to be good for the heart, arteries and skin, and also helps to regulate hormones. As long as it's pure and unprocessed. Olive oil is another oil high in Omega-9 oleic fatty acid.

Did you know that strawberries are not really berries, but watermelon and tomatoes are? Strawberries are considered an accessory fruit (the flesh around the seed isn't derived from the fruit's ovaries, but from the receptacle in which the ovaries are found). While the definition of a berry is 'a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovary'. Other berries (that we don't think of as berries) are pumpkins, bananas, kumquats, and avocados.

What other cool food facts do you know and would like to share?

Avocado has highest protein content of all fruit.

Cabbage is 91% water.

Cherries are a member of the rose family.

Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries.

Honey is the only edible food that never goes bad.

Eggplants are fruits and classified as berries.

I've heard this is not a thing in some parts of the world, even though I always thought it's absolutely normal xD We eat poppy seeds in Czechia, without it having any weird effects on us.

10 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Avocado has highest protein content of all fruit.

Cabbage is 91% water.

Cherries are a member of the rose family.

Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries.

Honey is the only edible food that never goes bad.

Eggplants are fruits and classified as berries.

Cool to know! 

Hard to believe that lemons have more sugar than strawberries, WOW! 

8 hours ago, bejapuskas said:

I've heard this is not a thing in some parts of the world, even though I always thought it's absolutely normal xD We eat poppy seeds in Czechia, without it having any weird effects on us.

Poppy seeds are ok in the States, but don't eat anything with them before taking a drug test - it could give you a positive result O.o

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Cool to know! 

Hard to believe that lemons have more sugar than strawberries, WOW! 

Nearly twice as much sugar. Lemons are 70% sugar, yet the acetic acid overwhelms the sweetness. 

@bejapuskas Dead serious. Poppy seeds come from opium poppy, a plant that produces a milky fluid from which morphine and other opiates are derived. It takes days for the body to get rid of it. And if you eat anything with poppy seeds, like a bagel for example, and then go for a drug test, it will come back positive and you won't get a job you're doing the test for.

I didn't have idea about the berries definition @Natasha   very interesting.

In my native country there's a lot of poppy plants, I never tried them. In Spanish their name is Amapolas. Now I want to try them lol....

There's also the "Psilocybe cubensis is a species of psychedelic mushroom whose principal active compounds are psilocybin and psilocin" (wikipedia), its popular name is "Cucumelo" and it grows in Uruguay and Argentina and probably in Brasil too.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@abrakamowse Poppy seeds are yummy, just don't eat them before you go for a drug test. 

2 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

There's also the "Psilocybe cubensis is a species of psychedelic mushroom whose principal active compounds are psilocybin and psilocin" (wikipedia), its popular name is "Cucumelo" and it grows in Uruguay and Argentina and probably in Brasil too.

Are those the shrooms people on the forum talk about all the time that they use them for consciousness work?

@Natasha I think so, because the shrooms they use for consciousness work have psilocybin which is the ingredient that can make you have mystic experiences. The problem is that people in my country just use it to be high, not so much for spiritual purposes. I really didn't know a lot about them until I learned about them here. ;)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Did you know that 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds contains the following:

Calories: 37

Protein: 1.3 grams

Carbs: 2 grams

Fiber: 1.9 grams

Total fat: 3 grams

Saturated fat: 0.3 grams

Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams

Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams

Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg

Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI

Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI

Folate: 2% of the RDI

Calcium: 2% of the RDI

Iron: 2% of the RDI

Magnesium: 7% of the RDI

Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI

Potassium: 2% of the RDI

Interestingly, flax seeds health benefits are mainly attributed to the omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and fiber they contain.

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.

∞∞∞∞ Rumi ∞∞∞∞

@Dimi I have an organic mix of flax seeds, chia seeds and coconut flakes that I use for my smoothies. I buy it at a local Sam's Club. They are starting to carry more organic wholesome options now.

Fake vanilla flavor is made out of beaver urine.

Remember that next time you go for cheap vanilla ice cream ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Fake vanilla flavor is made out of beaver urine.

Wow! I looked it up, and it's true-ish... it's actually made from a compound in the beaver's buttocks. That's crazy. 

Guess it's not Vegan then. :D

I was just wondering the other day why stuff with vanilla in it isn't crazy expensive. 

One vanilla bean, is $11 on average if you go to the spices section. Literally, just one is that expensive. And it's the size and shape of a long green bean.

So, I was wondering how vanilla ice cream doesn't cost like $30 for a pint.

Now I know... It's made of beaver butts. You learn something new every day.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

6 minutes ago, Emerald said:

Guess it's not Vegan then. :D

Haha just when you thought... dang xD