Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7thLetter

The importance of changing your environment?

16 posts in this topic

This is a very practical topic that I learned from a YouTube channel named "Andrew Kirby". Basically he talks about how important it is to change your environment in order to form new habits, or to get rid of addictions. I've always had this as an idea in the back of my mind and I never really acted upon it, but this channel really confirmed it for me. It sounds like common sense but as an example, in order to stop eating unhealthy food, all you have to do is to remove it from your house. As another example, the common one that you hear all the time in personal development is to change the people you surround yourself with if they're toxic and dysfunctional.

Would we all agree with this theory?

In my situation, I find that it would really help if I moved out of my parents house. I just often find myself doing the same exact thing year after year playing video games in my room. I always set ambitious goals for myself and work on them for a couple months but then I often get distracted. I just personally think that the environment that I'm living in is such a huge reason why I keep falling off. One of the main reasons is that I feel too comfortable living with my family. Even though I still pay rent, its like I'm still a teenager again living off the support of my parents. So its really my goal to hopefully move out this year or in the beginning of next year.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

I agree, changing environments is very powerful and can be very helpful. Some feelings still follows though which can lead to different bad habits but the benefits are there and it's worth it to move. 

Sometimes you should break out of limited box, in order to change your life, the box could also be a repetitive place!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

I agree ?

The external world affects the internal world, and vice-versa.

Yes, changing the environment is very powerful! My case is perhaps a bit more extreme than you imagine to change your environment, but here you go: I've lived in four different countries, both in environments gravitating towards stage blue (Russia, Hungary) and leaning towards stage green (Germany, The Netherlands). All of this has pulled me more and more towards stage green/yellow, also because I was exposed to so many perspectives.

9 hours ago, hamedsf said:

Sometimes you should break out of limited box, in order to change your life, the box could also be a repetitive place!

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Expand your box rather than jumping into a new one.

What exactly is this “box” you guys are talking about? 

In my opinion it sounds a bit philosophical rather than a practical idea. How exactly do we expand this “box”?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Theres an underlying cause to all dysfunctions

Learning how to set boundaries is huge, and often we desire to escape because we don't have the boundaries and freedom we wish to have in the place we live

@Sahil Pandit Could you say the same for those who live in the ghetto? Maybe where there’s a ton of gang violence, and drug dealing going on? Not saying that’s me but personally I wouldn’t say I live in the greatest household.

I remember reading a post on these forums where someone was living in Isis I think it was, and he was having difficulty doing the self-actualization work. In that situation the best thing you can do (if you have the option) is to remove yourself from that environment.

Of course its a trap of the mind, but its good to implement practical ideas as well. Especially for those who aren’t psychologically and spiritually developed past their external circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I couldn't even imagine living in my home country anymore simply because I love the challenge and excitement of being a foreigner.

That's one of the reasons why I moved from Ukraine to the States, the melting pot of nations, the home for folks from all over the world B|:)

50 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@7thLetter "Victim of Circumstance" is a common trap that we encounter along this path.

We can push upon our environment, more than it pushes on us...

... if we choose to

But cant you say that we could only push as much as the environment built us too? 

IG: joselnix

Change the people around you: family, friends, co workers 

Change the input you receive: TV, social media, books, YouTube, Google searches 

Change your city: higher spiral and vibrational areas 

Change the thoughts in your mind: healthy thoughts, healthy life 

12 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

What exactly is this “box” you guys are talking about? 

In my opinion it sounds a bit philosophical rather than a practical idea. How exactly do we expand this “box”?

I don't know what definition gives another guy talking about the box. Maybe different definition.

but anyways, simply, my meaning from  box is something that puts restrictions and limitations for you and it has imposed directly from your EGO.

for example, imagine an old-timer unpretentious guy from a small town who hasn't seen anywhere other than his own small town, he has always commuted to work and has run errands only in his town. his box is so limited to his own town.

but imagine a tourist lady who has just traveled across Europe and hasn't gone so far to ASIA or MIDDLE EAST, although her box is more expanded compared to the previous example, again, she has her certain expanded "BOX".

the box I'm talking about could include anything: from the behaviors that you're demonstrating in certain places or with certain people and could be also places. 

The "BOX" is my personal abstract term for any limitations and restrictions you see anywhere! 

Hope you understand! 

Edited by hamedsf

Okay I asked both of you what you mean by "box".

@possibilities is literally speaking irrelevant nonsense and is acting as if he's onto something, and @hamedsf is the one with the clear and beautiful explanation thank you for that.

Although I still feel that this advice is irrelevant to what I'm talking about in this thread. Basically the idea is to change your environment in order to remove yourself from a toxic environment, get rid of addictions, and to build better habits. That's as practical as it can get. From what you two are suggesting, is to stay in the environment and instead of changing it, expand it. That is my understanding of what is being said here. But I don't see how that would help in my situation or in the situation of someone who lives in the hood with shootings everyday, drug dealings, etc. Best advice for that person would be to remove themselves from that environment.

@7thLetter you're welcome!

well, removing yourself from certain hood means literally expanding your limitations!

thinking about how to get away from the certain neighborhood > town > city > country subsequently is also expanding your restrictions and for abstract term I'm using EXPANDING YOUR BOX.

if something stops you to move away from hood, like being dependent to your family members psychologically, not having enough budget to rent another home in a better city or having inner fears to be in uncertainty are also restrictions per se and they could be the root of the surface restriction ( why don't you just walk away from that environment!! ). simply you should trace back by asking questions. 

Edited by hamedsf