F A B

What is the best form of fitness?

11 posts in this topic

I mean the more healthy and sustainable form of fitness. A workout that you can keep all your life without harming joints, tendons, muscle tissue, heart, etc...

Extremes like competitive sports, marathons, bodybuilding, in the long run, could hurt. I guess.

What is the right balance? What is the workout volume and intensity? How much cardio? How much lifting?

The one you love doing, and will actually do and stick to!

Everybody and every body is different, so you have to follow your passion as they say. 

I'm a bit biased towards running because that's one that I've fallen in love with, but I think it's a great choice because you can do it basically anywhere, anytime, with minimal gear. It's a very intense form of exercise, so it's really easy to get in shape with running. As a species we are "born to run".

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@F A B I would say yoga, swimming and cross-country skiing. They are low impact, involved the whole body and are somewhat balanced between strength, flexibility and cardio. 

Other forms of exercise can highlight certain aspects of fitness. For example, nothing beats running for cardio. A moderate amount of impact is considered healthy for joints, yet too much impact and poor body mechanics can cause excessive body stress. As  well, running is a tightening activity and is best combined with at least a little bit of stretching or yoga. 

Personally, I think cross training in moderation is the healthiest overall. Two or three activities that the mind-body enjoys doing. Rotate it through the week. It’s good balance and the variety helps prevent burnout. Personally, exercise that “I have to do” to stay fit doesn’t work for me long-term. I think it’s better to create a healthy lifestyle of exercise the mind-body is into doing. 

Whatever moves your body in ways where you feel invigorated and alive is what is the best method for you. I personally Love Dance as one of my favorite forms because i experience pure joy, mindfulness and at the same time my body is experience great nourishment.

I see it more as creative expression/creative play rather than fitness because all benefits mind/body/spirit.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Classical yoga. No equipment, can be done anywhere, takes 25min to do, has mental and energy and spiritual benefits aswell. A practice that trains every organ, every joint, every tissue, every bone in your body. 

I do it myself. It's a whole new level of fitness and agility. 

Edited by Salvijus

Primal movement is quite fun, I've been experimenting with that lately. Puts you on all 4 by replicating movements of various animals includes a lot of handstands and skill moves. It is excellent for muscle endurance, strength, agility, spinal flexibility and for mind-body coordination. There are few videos on youtube, perhaps check it out. 

But generally our western type of exercise is often unnatural and unhealthy. Blasting your adrenals in a crossfit session may give you a short term benefit but at an incredible cost over a long term to your radical scavening defences, joints and hormonal glands.  If you want to follow path towards longevity do more bodyweight practices, slow deep-breathing controlled movements such as tai-chi, taoist style exercises, some jogging but not excessive and focus more on every day 30 minute practice over 3 times a week deeply depleting HIIT workout. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Don't forget walking and hiking. 

I agree with @Serotoninluv 

I run because I love it but I'm not sure it's helping my longevity much. I really struggle with balancing it with enough stretching and yoga because I seem really prone to tight muscles. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Swimming

And hiking in moderation 

If you don't want to fuck up your joints. 

Also you ate a young guy now. If you let yourself go after 30 your joints will start to fucking hurt. Old injuries. 

I worked out hard in my late teens early twenties. Boxing, running, weightlifting. All hard on the joints. 

Then in my late twenties early thirties I got way out of shape + a bad diet. A bad lifestyle catches up with you. Not overnight, not in a week, not even a month or a year. But over the years it does. Especially after 30. 

Make sure you keep in shape.

Rebounding is an excellent workout for your health, while being extremely low impact. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

This question is very subjective

My preferred workout routine is strength training with weights and cardio. My ideal situation is working out daily for 30-60 mins. Especially if you do 60 mins daily, one can do 30 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of stabilization/cardio work. 

However, if you're looking for strength, tone, and muscle building without the risks look into Calisthenics which are essentially body weight exercises. Be warned though that it will not get you as strong as someone who deadlifts regularly. 

but maybe you are looking for something light in which case, yoga with brisk walking, jogging, or biking can be very good and in regards to health as helpful.

Although weight resistance is good for bone strength so don't shy away from it.

I’m an advocate of strength training (especially for women), followed by a short walking meditation.  Then, if/when you’ve got the time, an occasional evening round of yin yoga ?