8Ball

Planning to study philosophy at university - good or bad?

15 posts in this topic

Ok so today I applied for university, a bachelor in philosophy and linguistics, and one bachelor in philosophy, logic and mathematics. The university is around 400 miles away so I would have to leave family and friends behind and move in with my girlfriend. She's cool with it and would he happy to join me. The main reason why I want to study philosophy is simply that I absolutely love philosophy! A great deal of people choose to study something which they really don't find interesting, I will have to worry about finding a job later. And that's when the problems would rise. I don't know how it is outside of my country but in Sweden you won't find many opportunities for a good and well paid job. You are basically limited to a job such as a teacher in philosophy or pursuing an academic career by teaching at university or limit yourself to research at the uni. Not something I strive for so to speak.

My question is if there's anyone here who has studied philosophy at a higher level or do you know someone who has? Could you please tell me what you're doing for work today? I can imagine that it was an interesting and valuable education, or am I mistaken?

I am open to move to another country if there's a higher demand for philosophy graduates. How's the demand for philosophy graduates in the US? I wouldn't hesitate for a second to move to the US if I was offered a job.

I already know what my masters thesis will be about. It will be called "Beyond Cogito, ergo sum" hahaha :D Hopefully I can articulate myself well enough to demonstrate why Descartes was wrong in his thinking. I'm basically going non-dual :D

Edited by 8Ball

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

Useless I got my god tier grade by living. 

37 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Useless I got my god tier grade by living. 

Good for you mate.

Edited by 8Ball

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

This is something you can research as well and do some internships, even find some of your favorite philosophers and see what they did that might also interest you. The world is evolving, as is your employment opportunities-- that's a decent mindset to base some of your research vs. I won't make good pay as a philosopher. What's next for philosophy? Is a good question to ask.

Have fun.

First of all, kudos for listening to your heart.

Have you taken Leo's Life Purpose Course? If yes, then I hope all exercises point towards this route.

I didn't study philosophy in college, but I know people here in the UK who did, and unfortunately, most of them changed their fields after graduation. When we enter the job market, we face the harsh reality of a stage Orange world, and our desire to awaken humanity isn't met with enthusiasm. 

But I believe you can always make a great career in philosophy. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to be the absolute best that you can be, at this. 

It's not a problem of building a career, as much as it is a problem of job opportunity. E.g.: There are a lot of vacancies in Sales and call centers. So the industry is willing to tolerate mediocrity in their employees, and hence, we have many people living the boring 9-5 mediocre life. Whereas the number of jobs for a philosophy major might be less, so there's less scope for mediocrity. But, if you are really good at what you do, you WILL make a great career out of it. You can always move to other places for better opportunities.

Secondly, try thinking outside the box. How could you use your knowledge of philosophy (and self-actualization) for societal development AND make money too? Perhaps the answer won't be becoming a traditional professor, but instead, could be something like launching online courses, becoming a life coach or even entering politics. 

Lastly, be aware that most philosophy departments are paradigm locked, and won't see past their biases and worldview. When articulating nonduality, you will have an uphill battle on your hands. But if you absolutely believe you'll love that fight, I say go for it!

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

5 hours ago, legendary said:

Lastly, be aware that most philosophy departments are paradigm locked, and won't see past their biases and worldview. When articulating nonduality, you will have an uphill battle on your hands. But if you absolutely believe you'll love that fight, I say go for it!

@8Ball Philosophy major here. You will most likely read "the great books" of the Western world starting with the Greeks up until perhaps the late 19th century (Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, etc.)

This is useful for you in the sense that it gives you a full crash course on the perspective of hyper-intellectual thinking.

You will stretch your mind to its limits. You will scratch at the horizons of the thinking mind and it will prompt you to think, "wow, the mind is so amazing, and yet look how lost we are!"

At the same time, however, you will not transcend the mind in this setting, ever.

The mind being king is assumed from the get-go. Awareness isn't even on the radar. You will be tooled for bringing up nonduality, as you will be pressed for "evidence."

Explaining to a paradigm-locked college professor that "evidence" is secondary to "experience" is a losing battle, for they have been living the past 50 years of their lives under the illusion that evidence is necessary for something to be true (Which, in some ways, is true! But then again, what is considered evidence?)

Besides, the second you start "battling" with someone over nonduality, you're lost. You've made it a belief. Not only is it almost impossible to convince your professor to begin with, but in the act of convincing your professor, you've made an ideology out of Truth. Very slippery.

Expect them to press for "textual evidence" to "back up your claims." When you bring up eastern books, expect "that's not philosophy." (I've had this exact conversation!)

If you have a true love of wisdom, an institution will never do it for you. (It's Ironic because my university's fight song goes, "true love of wisdom is sheltered in her halls!")

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

Why would you get yourself into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to study something available in books, or on the internet for free???????

Furthermore something that won't get you a job afterwards that's going to balance having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt?

I tell you one of the most fleeting feelings in this duality world is HAVING NO DEBT. I have £0 debt. I am, other than taxes, FREE. As free as free is in the West anyway. Please don't put yourself in a world of hurt by getting a useless degree for a lot of debt.

Hi there, I'm really glad to hear you're going for a philosophy degree!

I attend a college with an intense focus on Western philosophy. I'm a freshman and am currently studying Greek philosophers such as Aristotle, Socrates, etc. As a philosophy student, you learn very quickly that you are there to STUDY philosophy. Although many professors encourage you to challenge certain philosophical ideas, there is a noticeable tension and a thought of "is it really right of you to question 2000 years of philosophy?" For me, that was the hardest thing to overcome. Philosophy should be questioned and allow yourself to think against the grain.

Another thing you mentioned was finding a career. My mother was also a philosopher major and an alum of my college. One of her biggest takeaways from studying philosophy (and the reason I chose to follow in her path) was that it taught her to think. It teaches you to question, deliberate, and think outside the box. In a society (at least in America) in which the focus of education is to cram "facts" into young minds and force them to prove what they know through test-taking, being able to counteract that is one of the greatest skills and something that will make you stand out from the crowd. For example: my mom graduated college and ended up working for a major news company. She had NO production knowledge until that first day, and yet she learned to adapt and thrive. Other people she went to school with did anything from teaching political science to becoming a lawyer to retreating into the mountains. My point here is that being a philosophy major may not ensure a job in that profession, but it can help you in whatever it is that you end up doing and you can implement in anything you do.

My advice is to follow your passion and see how it turns out. I love what I'm learning and I think I would have really regretted not taking the path I am on now. If not for the future, follow your path because it is what you want now because you are passionate about it. Besides you never know what will happen :)

Good luck in your endeavors 

P.S. I'm a philosophy student who's dream is to be a holistic nutritionist. It works

@8Ball I just wanted to say its cool to hear that you are pursuing your natural interest and passion. I'm in the sciences, yet we probably have a lot of overlap intellectually. My mind naturally loves abstract thinking and conceptualization. Even after 15 years of higher education, I only earn an average salary, yet I get three months off a year and get paid to conceptualize for hours every day. 

On 18.3.2019 at 8:52 AM, thesmileyone said:

Why would you get yourself into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to study something available in books, or on the internet for free???????

Furthermore something that won't get you a job afterwards that's going to balance having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt?

I tell you one of the most fleeting feelings in this duality world is HAVING NO DEBT. I have £0 debt. I am, other than taxes, FREE. As free as free is in the West anyway. Please don't put yourself in a world of hurt by getting a useless degree for a lot of debt.

@thesmileyone In some countries it's free to study. I think it's free to study in Sweden. At least it is in Norway, so the TS wouldn't necessarily be in debt other than having to lend money for surviving as a human. 

@8Ball

Go for it!!! Study philosophy!!

But be prepared, university dogma, they LOVE Descartes. Be prepared to argue well.

And if you are going to be a student of this, you have to take psychadelics if you dont already.

A philosphy lecturer who studied for 40 years never took any drugs in her life. For me, I dont even consider her a student of philosophy. Spending 40 years with the seeming intent to know the Truth. Bullshit.

University- yes just the academics alone- is highly political. Be aware of this. I mention this only because youre on actualized.org.

And dont worry about a job right now. Just do the degree, and go out and have some mothafuckin fun.

https://www.actualized.org/insights/going-full-autodidact

college is such a waste of time jesus 

the idea is nuanced, there are cases when it's not 

sorry if this wasn't helpful lol. 

basically, what you want to do can be accomplished without college for cheaper, more fun, more aligned, more potential, and more efficient

you just need to work hard like leo says 

Edited by d0ornokey

I absolutely admire your passion in studying the subject you like. A few steps separate you from Socrate level. As for me, I have no experience of philosophy, but a friend of mine chose the same degree. Several weeks ago he told me about his income source. He writes essays for this cite studymoose.com It is not that bad and you will be able to practice your speech. Both useful and funny

I like such themes for essay. But some themes are bad for me. If you are on fire, you can use essay writing services. They are not free, but affordable and reliable. Also there are many useful info in internet which will help to start. Like example check these additional hints about how to format an application essay.

I know a philosophy professor who has been into philosophy his whole life and I feel like he's become good at speaking for a long time about things without making any sense. It is sad how corrupt it is... But probably you can do better than that, it will just take a lot of effort.