Ampresus

Should I stop doing the ''Do nothing'' method?

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Everytime I try to meditate, I first have to make it clear to myself what I am supposed to do. I have been using this ''Do nothing'' method for a long time, but explaining the method to myself alone makes me wander around thinking about nonsense. Now with this method I get distracted within the first 3 seconds, but I can be just present or focus on silence for long periods of time. Should I just do this instead? Or is the ''Do nothing'' method far better than being present or focussing on silence?

I personally don't understand what is meant with ''just look at your thoughts from a distance''. I really don't. When Leo explained that in his video back when I watched it, I had no clue what he was talking about. Now I do think that I have managed to ''look'' at my thoughts ''from a distance'' some time ago. But I can't just do it again. I don't remember how I did it nor do I know how I should do it.

Any advice?

Take care.

12 minutes ago, Ampresus said:

I personally don't understand what is meant with ''just look at your thoughts from a distance''. I really don't. When Leo explained that in his video back when I watched it, I had no clue what he was talking about. Now I do think that I have managed to ''look'' at my thoughts ''from a distance'' some time ago. But I can't just do it again. I don't remember how I did it nor do I know how I should do it.

Any advice?

Take care.

Just observe the activity of the mind. The thought process. Be aware of it. And then intuitively you will stand in a position as an observer that is seperate from the activity of the mind.

1 minute ago, Salvijus said:

Just observe the activity of the mind. The thought process. Be aware of it. And then intuitively you will stand in a position as an observer that is seperate from the activity of the mind.

DodWFQ9mQkVyWoKFa0ZIu12PYrPo3P2T0taaK-lg

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

@Ampresus  You are expecting presence to come to you in the future, you are bullshitting yourself big time ;) 

My problem with do nothing is that unless the mind is already still, it’s not a very productive method imo. I pretty much always do a session of concentration meditation before do nothing as a way to still the mind. Once the mind is still, then one can settle into just being present and aware

Edited by Consilience

Maybe try out strong determination sitting + inquiry

16 minutes ago, FredFred said:

Lol :D pls explain what you mean by this :D

@Salvijus

40 minutes ago, Ampresus said:

26 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I get what you mean, but lol still. xD

@Consilience  What is your body posture like? What are your intentions? Are you actually aware? 

Why I'm the only one who doesnt get the joke :D

Anyways.

Here's a perfect explaination from a sage about observing thoughts from a distance

@Salvijus  

Q: I personally don't understand what is meant by this observing thoughts.

A: Just observe them, then use your intuition and you will do just good.

@Ampresus  Your mind is like water and thoughts are waves. There are no waves without water and there is no water without waves. By trying to stop waves, you will only create more waves on the surface. 

Meditation has no method. Meditation is simply focus on Breath, that is it. Thoughts come and go, you don't focus on them, they are like cars passing by or birds singing or kids playing outside, you let all that be and focus on the sound of Breath and relax, simple. 

After you train that you can move on channeling that breath to open Muladhara and so on. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Lol. :D you're twisting my words :D

But now i get the joke at least :D

It's because i made it sound ridiculously simple. But that's all there is to it. 

When you observe your thoughts automatically you stand in a position seperate from the thoughts. There's nothing else you need to do. The process of observing will create a distance between the things you see and the one who is seeing it. It's bound to happen. When you observe long enough you have to realize at something point that the thoughts are coming and going but I'm just here observing from a third party perspective. It's just a natural consiquence of observing your thought activity.

Edited by Salvijus

@Ampresus

The Do Nothing method is often considered an advanced practice. If it’s hard to “be the observer” of thoughts, or, to get some ‘space’, it might be from typically being attached to thoughts, so a simple & relaxing stomach breathe focus meditation could give you a break from thoughts, thus realizing the ‘space’, and how it is they can be observed without engagement.  

There are some helpful instructions here, as well as an Awareness of Thoughts Meditation you might want to check out:

Nonduality & Meditations

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Salvijus  Everything is very simple, when you get it. The problem is to find it :D Sometimes it is hard for us to go back in time and feel the other person's struggle.

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

My problem with do nothing is that unless the mind is already still, it’s not a very productive method imo.

I have diagnosed ADHD and the "Do nothing" technique is by far the most effective and most relaxing meditation technique I have tried. My most spiritual and "ego versus being" disconnection experiences have come from this technique, so I doubt a racing mind is in any way major cause for this technique to be unproductive.

1 hour ago, FredFred said:

Now this is pretty accurate depiction about how you learn to observe your mind and thoughts 9_9

EDIT: Quote by @Nahm

The Do Nothing method is often considered an advanced practice

Wait what, really? I thought do nothing is more like suitable for beginners and the more advanced meditators, most suitable for those who yet haven't practiced it no matter whether they are veteran or beginners in meditation?

Edited by Hansu

2 hours ago, Ampresus said:

Any advice?

Here's a suggestion: You are in a simulation. Use a cheat code.

Try the 'Do-Nothing' and 'look at your hand' meditations while tripping on psychedelics. You'll be blown away!

And then, you can aim to bring that level of surrender/Self-realisation into your daily meditations.

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

1 hour ago, Hansu said:

I have diagnosed ADHD and the "Do nothing" technique is by far the most effective and most relaxing meditation technique I have tried. My most spiritual and "ego versus being" disconnection experiences have come from this technique, so I doubt a racing mind is in any way major cause for this technique to be unproductive.

Everyone is different. Dont over generalize yo. Im glad do nothing works so well for you.