ingurix

Why do I fall asleep while meditating?!?

23 posts in this topic

I can't understand why I fall asleep. I've tried sitting in different positions, tried to meditate with my eyes opened, tried to focus as much as I can, however I always end up failing. It's even hard to stay awake, if I do only 10 minute course. Yesterday my friend made a 30 minute meditation and I wanted to participate too. We both closed our eyes. At first I was awake, focusing on my breath. I didn't even notice the moment I fell asleep. My friend woke me up at the end of the session. 

It's similar to every session I make, no matter of the time I spend.

What should I do?! :(

Make sure you're sitting upright with a straight back. That is really key to keeping the practice energized.  

If you keep falling asleep, your body&mind may just be lacking sleep or you have a poor quality sleep. 

Then eat after meditation. Be on empty stomach when you meditate or at least 3-4h without food.

@ingurix It's an ego defense mechanism. The ego is not just gonna let you meditate. The more you push yourself to meditate the more you will overcome this defense mechanism. It will get better.

One trick that works well for me is to meditate right after taking a nap.

Also, meditate with your eyes open.

You could also switch to Kriya yoga instead of meditation. It's very hard to fall asleep doing Kriya yoga even if you are sleepy because it involves more activity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

SDS was my way of dealing with that. The pain keeps you awake

When you feel yourself close to falling asleep breath really deeply and heavily in and out, also you can try tensing your muscles for a few seconds and releasing this helps. Another method is when you feel like your are starting to go, go to the bathroom and throw water over your face.

Being meditative is being in calm relaxed state. So if you're falling asleep maybe you're already calm and meditative.

Ask yourself what are you trying to achive by sitting in one place for 30 minutes ?

Maybe instead of sitting do something where you're compleately focused on what youre doing and in the moment and there is no way to fall asleep and you fell great after?

Maybe go do yoga, play tennis with a friend, build airplane model, whatever works. 

@Leo Gura I have read something about Kriya Yoga this week. There's one thing I'm curious about - different sources say that one should master Kriya Yoga with teacher. Thus, I have a question - would it be better to find a teacher or should I try Kriya Yoga on my own?

If you want improvement then you don't need a guru.

If you want transformation then you need a powerful external source to transform the very fundementals of who you are.

Because you do not use awareness, you just sit relax and that is it. 

Maybe pick a different time slot. In the evening, morning or afternoon. Have you tried this? 

The art is to look without looking