Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Zhang

What's your opinion on Chinese authority's call for boycott of Western values?

29 posts in this topic

Maybe it sounds silly, hope doesn't annoy you though.

Christmas is coming. However, Unlike years before, here China I have found in recent days so few celebrational atmosphere on the hustling malls and spots, even the posters are seldom seen. Bit of weird.  

In recent years, the Chinese Communist Party has issued a series of calling for boycotting all so-called Christian-based "Western Festivals"like Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, Easter Day, Valentine's Day etc.   

In the gov official news, we often can shockingly read sort of like :

"We have to resist and be cautious of the penetration and corruption of  the Western Values like democracy, freedom etc. Because that's just the western govs' facade,in the name of so-called human rights, beneath which is their hidden agenda to overthrow the Chinese gov,in their favor regardless of Chinese people's wellbeing.  And don't forget the 100years Humiliation of the foreign power imposed on Chinese, invading China as leeches. "

It confuses me. I am wondering, Is the western gov really so bad,often secretly to sabotage other countries' interest or overthrow them?  Which side should I trust,the western or Chinese gov?

As a westerner, What's your opinion on Chinese authority's nationwide boycott of western values/festivals? 

What's the nature of the so-called "Western Values"?  Aren't they the universal values that everyone on Earth longs for?  But why people here in my culture seem to resist it ?

Edited by Jeff Zhang

I think they are right about democracy and freedom being a facade. If you do something that the government doesn't like they will arrest you. Even if you're not doing anything illegal. 

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

I want to start off by saying that I am not a professional in this field and therefore don't expect you to 100% trust my opinion.

The way I see it: Blue reacts to Orange. This happens a lot in places like China and is no surpise. In the end: Orange comes over as greedy and seems to have this desire for power. If that is through militair conflict or simply their holidays, it still seems as a threat to the Chinese gov. You can easily compare the situation in China with all kinds of situations around the world where people react to Orange and their values.

By the way: There is no right side. Both are dogmatic and ideological. The only way a Blue society evolves is by seeing truth in Orange. To see that, they'd rather have to look it up themselves or have it presented for them. The problem with the last one is that it could come over as indoctrination.
(Ofc China is not fully Blue, they have some Orange, but their Communist Party certainly has Blue values)

I mean I don't like the holidays from Westerners either. I don't celebrate them because I don't see any reason to. If your society forces you to listen to Christmas music and look at Christmas trees while you actually don't want to celebrate this holiday, it looks like you are not part of everyone else around you and therefore get depressed (something that is happening to me). I wouldn't boycott Western holidays, but certainly wouldn't allow it to be literally everywhere as if it is spreading like a virus.

Edited by Ampresus

Not my opinion. I've watched a few of his videos on China.

Edited by Outer

@CreamCat That is the bright side of holidays. If everyone around you, including your friends, are together celebrating a holiday and you yourself don't have the family for it it becomes lonely. My family is muslim and therefore doesn't celebrate these kinds of holidays. Hell I have never experienced a magical tree where all of the sudden presents lay under at exactly the first day of Christmas. I never used firework to celebrate some kind of new beginning at the end of every year. I would be playing games in communities where most of the people were offline because, well you know, their families want them to celebrate christmas with them.

@Ampresus Even if people around you do not celebrate, you are still free from school and work during holidays. Freedom to think and do what I want means a lot to me. Freedom gives you opportunity to train self discipline and get closer to your life purpose. You should utilize your free time to strategize toward your life purpose.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat I am aware of that. However I don't know how much I should educate myself over different things at the same time. I just finished a health book and am about to start with one about the Ego. I can't find much books about Life Purpose and of course Leo has not much vids of it because of his LP course. Maybe I should meditate right now...

@Jeff Zhang China is a buddist country isn't it? I think there are many enlightened masters in China. But then again, it has the biggest population therefore are more diverse.

From both sides, embrace your culture/values and respect other's values. Haha I give up??

*Aha, I am just curious about Uyghur. What are your thoughts about it as a normal citizen? Are they really chinese minorities? Or are they not originally from china? 

Btw, is this a distraction?.....?hmm.....not really. But is it?

Edited by Angelite

someone give this man a spiral dynamics view of this. he's actually in china, we don't want to have him fall into the dogma 

The chinesse gov has a point. The values of the east and the buddhist/hindu values are clearly superior to christianity. 

Now in terms of freedom the west has some great values, but apart from that is bs.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Angelite Thank you for your comment, and nice question. ;)

I have read western news on Uyg.

However, The Chinese people get the information about it from the Chinese media which is strictly controlled by the gov.

So basically, the ordinary Chinese knows it very very little, only have a general impression, like they live much better than before, with the intensive warm help of gov, sort of like that.  

From the education I received in China, they are Chinese minorities and satisfied with their life. 

That's why every time when reading western news about it , it confuses me.

Is that all true? Or just fake news manipulatively written by those who would like to sabotage China? 

I can't distinguish what's truth,and what's falsehood.

@Outer good video, that's true.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:08 AM, Hellspeed said:

The chinesse gov has a point. The values of the east and the buddhist/hindu values are clearly superior to christianity. 

Now in terms of freedom the west has some great values, but apart from that is bs.

@Angelite Thank you for your comment, and nice question. ;)

I have read western news on Uyg.

However, The Chinese people get the information about it from the Chinese media which is strictly controlled by the gov.

So basically, the ordinary Chinese knows it very very little, only have a general impression, like they live much better than before, with the intensive warm help of gov, sort of like that.  

From the education I received in China, they are Chinese minorities and satisfied with their life. 

That's why every time when reading western news about it , it confuses me.

Is that all true? Or just fake news manipulatively written by those who would like to sabotage China? 

I can't distinguish what's truth,and what's falsehood.

Chinese Culture is very different from Western Culture.  From being in China, I got the sense that I would be a very different person had I grown up in China.  I definitely would married with a family.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

20 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Chinese Culture is very different from Western Culture.  From being in China, I got the sense that I would be a very different person had I grown up in China.  I definitely would married with a family.

Partially because marriage is legally safer in china?

It is really complicated matter, both sides hold good values that other side is lacking,  but it is not that easy as just putting them together, life does not work like that, I don't think you can have best of both of them, even if you can it would be hell of a complicated matter to even think of a system that would make it possible, let alone implement it in a way that it would actually work out as supposed. 

In the end it is all just culture and to be fair, old  culture has almost died, only in remote areas it reminds  to some level, everything changes, everything will have to change , new values and cultures will be born. 

@Joseph Maynor  had you grown up in China, what's your life would be?

It really depends!

But, generally speaking, it's highly likely that you would be desperate to looking for a wife like most of the Chinese men nowdays.;)   

10 minutes ago, Jeff Zhang said:

But, generally speaking, it's highly likely that you would be desperate to looking for a wife like most of the Chinese men nowdays.

Historically, more than two thirds of all men could die without passing their genes to their children. During world wars, 80% of young men evaporated. Right now in china, 33% of young men will probably fail to pass their genes to their children because there are more men than women in china.

Biologically, men are more disposable than women.

Edited by CreamCat