Space

What Does Who Am I? Actually Mean?

13 posts in this topic

I feel strongly drawn to contemplate the question Who Am I? and have been doing so for a while now. However there is some confusion as to what the question is really asking. I have doubts that i'm contemplating 'correctly' and worry that i'm just wasting hours of time heading in the wrong direction. So what does the question Who Am I? actually mean, and what is the correct approach when contemplating this question?

Part of the confusion surrounding the question comes from the fact that the question is interpreted quite differently (or atleast appears to be) from teacher to teacher. For example, some may say that Who Am I? is basically the same as What Am I?. But other teachers, like Ralston, will make a clear distinction between the two. Ralston says that Who Am I? is the same as asking Who is perceiving? or 'clearly identifying the one that needs to get enlightened'. It seems like this is quite different from how other people interpret the question. He also says that it's not technically an enlightenment, whilst Shinzen Young says that his enlightenment came from contemplating on Who Am I?. So is there a difference in the approach with these two teachers? If you look at Ramaji's approach to Who Am I? it seems completely different again, and focuses on the Heart and all that. Then of course you have Ramana Mahashi who also seems to take a different approach. So what is the question really asking and how should I go forward with this?

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

The i or what you in defenition means what you are forever. Your ture self can never die, it has existed before the big bang and it will still exist when your dead.

You should look for the thing that is with you forever and that never changes. Your perception and thoghts always changes so can not be that.

I hope this helped. 

People use similar words in different ways, which creates confusion.

My next video will elaborate on how to do self-inquiry.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I'm pumped for that one, may I ask when it will be releasing? Or shall i say, who's the "I" that is pumped? 

Edited by Tony 845

@Leo Gura Hell yeah. I just read Ramajis book and it left me more confused than it answered anything honestly.

Merry Christmas ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Oh great, looking forward to it :)

18 hours ago, Space said:

I feel strongly drawn to contemplate the question Who Am I? and have been doing so for a while now. However there is some confusion as to what the question is really asking. I have doubts that i'm contemplating 'correctly' and worry that i'm just wasting hours of time heading in the wrong direction. So what does the question Who Am I? actually mean, and what is the correct approach when contemplating this question?

Part of the confusion surrounding the question comes from the fact that the question is interpreted quite differently (or atleast appears to be) from teacher to teacher. For example, some may say that Who Am I? is basically the same as What Am I?. But other teachers, like Ralston, will make a clear distinction between the two. Ralston says that Who Am I? is the same as asking Who is perceiving? or 'clearly identifying the one that needs to get enlightened'. It seems like this is quite different from how other people interpret the question. He also says that it's not technically an enlightenment, whilst Shinzen Young says that his enlightenment came from contemplating on Who Am I?. So is there a difference in the approach with these two teachers? If you look at Ramaji's approach to Who Am I? it seems completely different again, and focuses on the Heart and all that. Then of course you have Ramana Mahashi who also seems to take a different approach. So what is the question really asking and how should I go forward with this?

@Space excellent excellent excellent question. Theres a few things you need to remember when self enquiring, remember to always bring it back to that unspoken sense of, "I exist." This is the most crucial, and this sense only exists in the *present moment*. 

When your asking yourself "who am I" allow your mind a little bit of freedom, do not give wise philosophical answers...just answer how you feel. Do you *feel* like you *are* your personality? What part of the personality? (Go through different parts) Your social life? Your habits and addictions? Do you feel like you are your depression?...that it *is* you? And for each one, individually ask..."if this thing were to fade away, would my existence fade away? And if the answer is no then you cannot be that thing, even if it changed, you would not change...therefore it is not "you".

These are my three most effective tips I remember for my own self enquiry. 

1- Must return to the unspoken sense of "I exist."

2- Must be present moment (throughout)

3- Answers must be given from how you *feel* not what you know.

@Aaron p Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :D

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

THANK YOU