Sven

How to overcome the fear of death?

20 posts in this topic

Wow I am definitely scared of death. One thing however I have learnt to do which I find might help is to start by letting go of fear in my dreams. I tend to get “half lucid” in my dreams kind of like a partial sleep paralysis where I am confronted with dream death and I just want to move and wake up yet I don’t fully know that I am dreaming. So instead of fighting and making myself wake up. I would relax and sink into the dream and then I just kind Of fall back asleep. It took some practice but I think it’s a good practice because when you are threatened with the “near death”, the best way is to surrender and accept it. However, i get those dream death sporadically so it’s not like I can practice consistently. 

In one of Leo’s videos, he mentioned that all of our fears , jealousy, anger, comes down to the fear of death. So instead of tackling the fear of death specifically, we could work out and surrender to our feelings of anger, jealousy, etc. Those emotions arises every moment so practicing surrender to these feelings could help us learn how to surrender and how to just fully give into the experience when it comes to death. 

Psychedelics definitely help too, since it drives us to a state of ego death and we are forced to accept and surrender.  (I am just speaking for the sake of argument, I haven’t done psychedelics my self )

When we ask how to overcome a psychological fear such as death, that is actually a resistance to end that very fear. 

To want a solution to overcome fear of death actually prevents one from exploring fear and death. To explore fear one may soon see its connection and influence on this issue with death. 

Who is the entity who is gong to overcome fear? Is that entity itself a movement of fear? 

27 minutes ago, who chit said:

Wake up.

To die to “the past”, which modifies those fears/anxieties/uncertainties onto the “present moment”, and then projects them in “the future”.

Ending of the continuity of time. To wake up as the now. 

Edited by Jack River

Overcoming fear of just death is not that hard, what is problematic to overcome fear of death in certain scenario that might give you long suffering before you die, or involving something that you are afraid of. 

Kill Sven so he can realize death is illusory. Starve him out from everything he holds onto, rewards himself with and or craves and thinks and believes he needs to sustain life. Eventually he will starve and surrender and realize the illusory nature of death, then well the rest is a surprise.

What happens when you die in a dream ;)

B R E A T H E

Death is very real, or can you elaborate what is different from real death and this life being dream death, when I die in dream I wake up and continue my life as same person. 

33 minutes ago, purerogue said:

Death is very real, or can you elaborate what is different from real death and this life being dream death, when I die in dream I wake up and continue my life as same person. 

Same thing happens when you die in this so called "real" life. It never ends, one cell shuts down, you regenerate somewhere else. Its still all you. There is no one else here, its all a projection of one consciousness.

B R E A T H E

Fear of death is something natural. If you obsessively think about it, however, then it is something you should work on. I'm not sure how you can do that though. 

Btw, spirituality and religion are based on the fear of death. 

The issue here is fear, not death.
Negating death won't help as negating 'I' won't help. The conditional circumstances of human beings are such that since the thoughts 'I', 'my', 'mine' appear unceasingly the thought of death appears unceasingly. Continuously one faces news of people having died and is reminded of one's own impermanence. And death may happen in any moment. One cannot know when it will happen.
Some lucky people do not know fear of death and some are fearful but can live with it. Some however are very fearful of death and suffer. So how to get rid of this fear if one belongs to those plagued by fear of death? All religions are offering their own specific beliefs to deal with it. One can have a try. One can also try psychotherapeutic treatment if the fear causes suffering or gets overwhelming from time to time. Or one may try practices that change one's view of 'I', life and death without negating these. This however is different from religion only if the change of view is sustainable and based on imperturbable certainty.

Edited by ground

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

One thing is to say that you have no fear of death , another is to face it and actually have no fear, just by saying that this is dream , or believing in it will not make fear go away. 

I'm afraid of everything which is not inevitable. Fortunately, death is. :)

Realize it’s irrational, and that you yourself made it up. This would require you to see how funny the situation is. You can begin to see this by inquiring, what is this “death” which I am afraid of? What do I know about it?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Psychedelics can help, but also do a Google search for skeleton meditation. It's been around for thousands of years, and it will help you to face the not-so-sad fact that you won't be around forever, and that it's okay.  

We can go into all the ways a self(time) resists what-is...then you come closer to why death is feared. 

Edited by Jack River

By dying. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.