Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Don

I'm Not Able To Articulate My Thoughts

12 posts in this topic

Hello guys.

I read about two to three hours a day (a book a week) and I feel like I have a lot to say but when I'm trying to articulate my thoughts, to communicate orally, I'm not able to. I don't think clear and it feels like crap. It's so frustrating. Or when I'm trying to write an essay in my native language, Romanian, I feel like I'm blocked and my words won't come out.

What should I do? As I'm writing this, I'm feeling a little bit humble because I write more easily in English and it's not even my native language. I'm so confused.

I want to become good at talking and writing but I don't know WHAT to practice to achieve these goals. When I try to write in Romanian I get frustrated because I know my writing isn't good. Not to doubt myself, but to prove this, I was asking for opinions from people who have experience in writing and they told me that my writing is terrible.

I wasn't good in school because I didn't like it. I was raised in a dysfunctional family and since grade two or three I've been seeking constant gratification.

I don't have much time to lose because life is short and I want to live the best life possible; I'm not saying that in an egotistic way.

What/how should I practice? More reading? More writing? If I write there's nobody to correct me. It feels like crap.

I want to be able to articulate my thoughts clearly in writing and orally.

What do you guys recommend? Your advice and @Leo Gura's advice would be much appreciated.

Me on the road less traveled.

My articulation can be poor as well, as my memory is kinda bad. In academic settings I use text spinners and sites that measure your reading level to improve my articulation. I've helped friends recieve As with this method. I've noticed as well that my articulation and memory will improve in general outside academics. 

Edited by Artaemis

You can make a section called "Thoughts" in your commonplace book if you have one. And then you articulate and categorize your thoughts in this section.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

@The Don Start to take notes on what you are reading.
Then, read your notes and write your insights about them.
Rinse and repeat.

Also, everything is difficult when you don't know how to do it.
Once you know how to do it, it's easy. How do you breathe?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@The Don somehow the using of memory is connected to memory - i mean the use of language is connected to memory - so why does english feel so free?

did you already try to think in english and write in romanian? it’s just a thought - connect the language centers with each other, but in a way where the happier memory/language influences the less easy one.

@The Don Be the master of each situation.

Every opportunity you have to talk to a stranger is an opportunity to work on your:

Intention, Clarity, Tone of Voice, Resonance. Also, your enthusiasm and levels of interest in what the other person has to say.

Articulating yourself is definitely a skill that has to be worked on in order to improve. Small improvements and corrections can go along way.

For example, i used to slur my speech because when i got excited i started talking too fast without being conscious of what was flowing out. I later realized that I was doing this and now i talk slower and try to be precise. Also, I have worked on my tone a lot more, because people can feel what emotion you are speaking with, and whether or not it is genuine. 

Thanks guys.

I will do my best to solve my problems.

Me on the road less traveled.

@The Don

I think fundamentally you have a chain of negative beliefs that are centered around, speech, and your ability to speak expressively.

Correct me if im wrong. When you start to articulate a sentence you get a rush of anxiety, and it makes your thoughts blurred and unclear, almost distant?

If i am right, then you really need to start asking yourself questions about that "rush of anxiety", question it, find out where its roots lie, is it based on your childhood? Once you start to gain an understanding of what it is and why it is happening then finally accept it, be one with it, love it to death as Leo would say, then it wouldn't posses you anymore.

If your such a readaholic then try reading "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle, this book will help you understand what thoughts are, as well as fear, emotions, subconscious thoughts and how they are a distraction to your creativity.

OR

you're a super genius that cant put words together because there are too many permutations of words to express a simple thought and you can't figure out which to use.

Edited by Mezanti

@The Don Atleast part of your problem (feeling blocked) could be dietary related brain fog, but maybe not. Cleaning up your diet or eliminating certain foods might be a solution. Aside from that, it is possible to improve your writing ability quite considerably. It just takes lots of deliberate practise. There's no short cut. You should be actively learning and teaching yourself how to write well. I'm sure there are thousands of books on this topic and I imagine there will be thousands of great videos on writing on Youtube (also check out Skillshare). So you want to be combining the theory studying with the deliberate practise. Do that for long enough and you will get better, I guarantee it. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Increasing  your awareness would be good thing to do , it will help you to process information faster and clearer and stay away from blank states where you get thrown of by other people actions, and as someone wrote it might be with food allergy that cause brain fog, it is very long trial and error job to find which food it is , but if you feel constantly tired , problems focusing, it might be it. 

You can try not eating for 2-3  days, if you feel way better it might be your diet that causes problems. 

Edited by purerogue

@The Don

I'd recommend note taking while you read.  Then at the  end of your day - summarize what you've read in a journal by writing it down. You can also use a voice recorder to  record your summary. 

After a week or more - go back and study your notes and voice memo's.  The time passed will give you some distance from the material you read.  Ask yourself - if you weren't aware of the material, do you think you got your point across? Why not? Try to be analytical here - was your material rambling? Was there no proper structure? What specifically didn't YOU like about it? 

Also read articles - editorials on newspapers (NY times or economist, well thought out), blogs (on medium), study what you like about them? Is it the styles? Introductions? Storytelling?  Write the points down  - this'll help you figure out what your style is. 

Practice:  writing and communication is a skill and the more you practice, the more you'll improve. 

Don't give up.

1.) Practice. Write at least for 1 hour a day. I'd also recommend you Steven Pressfield's books on creativity.

2.) Practice. Talk to people. How? Toastmasters, debating clubs other hobbies.

You got this.