How to be wise

Fear of death

16 posts in this topic

As I carry on doing consciousness work, I am having an almost constant fear that I am going to vanish. I’ve tried to ignore this fear for a few weeks now, but these days it is getting stronger and stronger. I worry that this will affect my practice. I’ve tried watching Leo’s 2C-B trip report to try and convince myself that death is the most beautiful thing ever, but it is not working anymore. How to deal with this fear?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

19 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

How to deal with this fear?

Learn about it(FEAR) by staying with it. The self avoids this as that is its function, to protect itself, to avoid, cover up, evade, run away and seek safety in the idea, the concept, and such. 

The self/fear is a perpetual movement away from fear itself searching for security in abstraction/experience/routine. Every move that self makes to run from fear manifests itself conforming to practices, looking for “high conscious experience”, and seeking security in all that. All of that is found within the content of thought. The self seeks psychological security in its content which is its knowledge/experiences and the means it utilizes to bring about the goal/end.

All this participation in routine/practices to bring about death actually prevent death itself.

Good question to go into is what is the meaning of death? What does it mean to die. What dies? Etc. 

Edited by Jack River

28 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

How to deal with this fear?

We see that every movement we make to “deal with” which implies control, actually is a divided action. Asking how to deal with it as well. To ask how to deal with it as if “it” were separate from “me/you”. When we ask how to, we are looking for answers in thought itself. But this problem arises because we have implicitly divided self and thought in the process to solve. This divided action keeps self alive. There can be no death with such an action my Brahman?

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

As I carry on doing consciousness work, I am having an almost constant fear that I am going to vanish. I’ve tried to ignore this fear for a few weeks now, but these days it is getting stronger and stronger. I worry that this will affect my practice. I’ve tried watching Leo’s 2C-B trip report to try and convince myself that death is the most beautiful thing ever, but it is not working anymore. How to deal with this fear?

IME, trying to avoid or repress fear just strengthens it. The self loves to create push-pull dynamics.

What if you surrendered to the fear? What would happen if you let go of all control and became willing to experience whatever arose from moment to moment? 

For me, complete surrender was the key to transcend fear. I had to completely let go of all control and be willing to experience fear nonstop for eternity. At the moment of surrender breakthrough - fear just was. It was no longer good or bad. It was no longer something to hold to or to avoid. Then there is true liberation. 

Facing it head on is much, much more difficult than conceptualizing about it. The first time my self truly faced terror - and was powerless to stop it - was hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life - by far. Yet, each time my self faces it, surrenders and dies it gets a bit easier.

I see so many people seek refuge in spiritual areas that are safe and secure to the self. Yet the deepest transcendence is ALL of it. Absolutely everything. 

(A major source of the fear is the self's resistance to dying).

We soon may see that there is only the fact of fear when we are caught in this divided action. As In trying to control our experience/experiences. This divison between the experiencer and the experienced is what brings about fear in the first place. Then when that fear is ran from it gets sustained. When this division is no more so goes the fear. Divison=fear.. no divison no fear. This goes for anger, sadness, jealousy, and etc. 

The question is do can we detect the many subtle movements of fear in our day to day? What qualifies as fear and what qualifies as a movement away from fear? 

Edited by Jack River

14 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@How to be wise It’s the best possible scenario. Absolute bliss. It’s the unknown you’re fearing, not death. 

Or the known ending. The known and the self are one unit of Time. For the known to end so does the “me”, which is its content/movement. 

Edited by Jack River

A great friend once said, “ it’s not the unknown, but the accumulation and attachment to content/“things”/the known coming to an end that we dread/fear.” 

Rings true as I have seen?

Edited by Jack River

4 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I’ve tried watching Leo’s 2C-B trip report to try and convince myself that death is the most beautiful thing ever, but it is not working anymore

That's like trying to convince yourself that Mount Everest is beautiful, even though you've never seen it or been there before. It's not possible.

Get the real thing.

Suppressing fear will only perpetuate the feeling...Your only hope in controlling it is to become it 

Be Batman...i like batman ;) 

@OuterHOLY BATMAN right on! 

Edited by DrewNows

@How to be wise  There is no need to put death on pedestal, it is also just a dream of the dreamer.  You must face it and try to let it touch you. 

Be aware of death when you wake up, few times during the day and before going to be.

Meditate on death.

Contemplate: What if I die just now? What if today my last day? etc.

It is one of my main drivers in the development.

@How to be wise

You've taped into one of the two primal functions of the separate self.

1) Fear of disappearance/death (Fear)

2) Constant sense of lack and search for completeness/happiness (Desire)

There is no separate self without these two functions. In fact, the separate self is not an independent entity but these 2 very activities are the separate self!

At this point, there is no way around. Only a way through!!!! 

You're finally seeing the separate self as it really is!

No rationalization or fooling yourself will work in the long run

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

You die every night. Only the pure light of your soul remains in deep sleep. No mind, no body.

Whats the difference of doing this consciously?

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@How to be wise Was thinking of you today...wondering if this is a helpful line of logic...surely you’re aware everyone has been talking about God for as long as there have been people on earth, but no one has evidence, not a single photo, etc. Most everyone has some fear of death, but of course, also, not one person has any evidence, nothing. The experience of love is pretty common, but no one has a picture of it, or evidence of where it comes from, etc.  Do you see, or does it at least make sense from a logical standpoint, that death, God, Love, and The Truth are all the same thing? In the sense, nonduality (You), that it is the infinite you, literally playing, and this person/experience is you (infinite) limiting yourself to have this appearingly finite (person/earth/life story) experience?  Is that helpful at all (with the fear of “death”)?

@Solace Exactly ??❤️

@Jack River Same thing bruh.??

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@How to be wise What is so frightening about death to you?

Even the materialist paradigm says that you have experienced death already.
There was no you before you were born. Were you suffering back then?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2