Anirban657

Confused between the east and the west

20 posts in this topic

Hi I am from India. My family is very spiritual. As a result I have been to many ashrams and heard many spiritual ideas from my parents. You can say I am from a eastern modern as well as spiritual family. 

But as I grew older I had access to the internet. I came across self help and western spirituality which is quite different from the eastern spirituality. I learnt about psychedelics and new age stuff which was interesting but quite different from their eastern fundamental source of derivation. The western spirituality seemed like a atheistic version of all the spiritual stuff of the east. 

As a result I am confused about what is the truth. Who is correct? Whom to follow-the east which is grounded in my reality and told by my parents and I heard from spiritual leaders like Swami Vivekananda or the west which I learnt about totally over the internet which is abstract.

For example very few people in the east seem to know about psychedelics. Whereas Leo and other western spiritual gurus speak about psychedelics. Some of my spiritual friends say that psychedelics may be "fake spirituality". 

Please feel free to write your opinion. Thank you!

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

They are both true.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

@Flammable how can they both be true? 

@now is forever what if I want to take some action steps. I want to make a decision but the two perspectives clash. Then what?

@Anirban657 difficult - in what do they clash? in the psychedelics? that’s a very individual perspective in the west, too.

what clashes here? spirituality? culture? generation? tradition? health? 

So in your mind western spirituality is like psychedelics and smth else. And eastern is like gurus and temples, right? :D

I would avoid categorizing spirituality as different types of spirituality. There's just seeking for truth. And different ways to do that. Choose wichever way makes the most sense to you and go with that. If tommorow a different way begins to make more sense, then do that. :D

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

They are all fundamentally leading to the same place - both east and west. 

Do not conceptualize east and west, but rather explore spirituality without assigning tags to it. Do not believe anything, be it east or west, but trust yourself and experiment. Read all the perspectives so that you avoid getting locked in a paradigm - then experiment with what you feel or think is useful or apt.

Edited by Flammable

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

25 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I would avoid categorizing spirituality as different types of spirituality.

There's just seeking for truth.

And different ways to do that.

Choose wichever way makes the most sense to you and go with that.

If tommorow a different way begins to make more sense, then do that. :D

NauticalBraveDouglasfirbarkbeetle-small.gif

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

:D:D:D:D you're welcome 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Follow your Breath. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Anirban657 if you want somethng to believe, you're screwed. if you want the Truth, let go of all beliefs.

unborn Truth

25 minutes ago, Salvijus said:
2 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Anirban657 if you want somethng to believe, you're screwed. if you want the Truth, let go of all beliefs.

First we need to learn what is a belief.

For most of us, a belief = religious dogmas, and that's it
When in fact it's everything we think and experience while asleep xD

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

51 minutes ago, Hellspeed said:

Follow your Breath. 

What does this even mean?

@Anirban657 Both. You are the resolve. There is no “right” anything, there is just this.        Floating in outer space with the earth above you, would the south not be to your north? Enhance this life experience by enjoying both. There isn’t even an east & west, it’s contingent on where YOU are. No beginning and no end, just a journey. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE