Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MM1988

Is it possible to have high consciousness and low self-esteem? why? why not?

21 posts in this topic

is it?

Edited by MM1988

@MM1988 Why would you have low "self" esteem?

The answer is always an analysis of the self vs others. This comparison, in itself, is low consciousness.

Low self esteem is caused by not accepting (aversion) the totality of the strengths and weaknesses of yourself. 

Not accepting is another way of saying aversion. Grasping and aversion are the two sources of suffering. Developing higher consciousness is about letting go of grasping and aversion.

High consciousness would lead towards realizing how illusory this 'self' is, therefore making self-esteem fairly irrelevant as there is actually nobody to have self-esteem and there is nobody as the target of this self-esteem.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

I didnt mean only enlightened people, but just regular people with lower/higher consciousness. 

12 minutes ago, MM1988 said:

I didnt mean only enlightened people, but just regular people with lower/higher consciousness. 

No you can't.

You would become so aware of why you have those self esteem issues that they would dissolve in the short-mid term.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@MM1988 I guess it depends on what direction you develop high consciousness in. If you want self-esteem issues gone, you need to develop high consciousness in that area. If you develop high conciousness in the nature of reality and philosophy, then no matter how high your consciousness is, your self-esteem issues won’t go because you haven’t got a lot of consciousness in the self-esteem department.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I don't think so.  Paradoxically, it's easier to become Enlightened with a strong sense of self and your own values and who you are.  Otherwise you're just not gonna do the work required.  If you're a sheep, paradoxically you're gonna stay in Ego.  It's people who transcend a strong sense of self that become Enlightened.  And that's because Enlightenment requires a lot of balls and a lot of not caring what others think, and it also requires following the Truth wherever it leads, even if it leads you off a cliff.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

No.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, Flammable said:

High consciousness would lead towards realizing how illusory this 'self' is, therefore making self-esteem fairly irrelevant as there is actually nobody to have self-esteem and there is nobody as the target of this self-esteem.

Fosho. Self esteem means a measure of self worth. Means we are still stuck in identifying with a self idea. Means we are still clinging to thought to find a certain value to self soothe. Secure ego. 

To me your response was sane @Flammable

Edited by Jack River

High self esteem and low self esteem=Fear  

High consciousness and low consciousness=Fear 

Psychological Measure=fear 

Edited by Jack River

6 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

@Jack River well, the third cannot be fear because it's a range.

21 minutes ago, Jack River said:

High self esteem and low self esteem=Fear  

High consciousness and low consciousness=Fear 

Psychological Measure=fear 

These are all the same. The first two are a expression that comes from the movement of the third. 

Edited by Jack River

Not exactly. Isn't the actual movement of thought illusory (as in:theoretical) + undefined?

I assumed the first two are in the permanent Now Moment.

Edited by i am I AM
my reasons as I am seeing it

8 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

Not exactly. Isn't the actual movement of thought illusory (as in:theoretical) + undefined?

It’s an actuality. If we are measuring or comparing psychologically that is happening. That movement is a process of thought happening. That movement of “me” might be illusory but it is still taking place. 

Edited by Jack River

Thinking is a movement of time. 

Edited by Jack River

When I measure psychologically I think I am different from that process of thought. And I try and secure “myself” by identifying with thought. Pretty gnarly dude:D

Edited by Jack River

Measuring psychologically means “I”, as in the past am afraid of what is now. In reaction to a fact by resisting it. Thought resist what is. Thought needs to indentify with some sort of measure. Thought is measure. 

Edited by Jack River

@MM1988 No it's impossible.

One example, If you are highly conscious, you are highly aware of your abilities and limitations.  

In the case you are aware of your weaknesses, you will still not have low self esteem because you will realize you have strengths that other people do not.  Does this make those people without those strengths as you..inferior?  No, of course not. 

You are not superior.  You are not inferior.  You are simply, you. 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.