Sven

The Book of Not Knowing

18 posts in this topic

It arrived at the door just now! :)

My question: How should I read this book?

By not knowing anything as you read it :ph34r:

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

Go find a chair, put a tomato on it, then go and sit on the floor, talk to the tomato as you read it. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

49 minutes ago, wavydude said:

my dude, they teach that stuff in an elementary

yeah that’s where all the enlightened folks sit, until they start reading.

Thanks guys! Actually as I started reading it was pointed out by Ralston that the book indeed should be read from a position of not knowing anything. @Flammable I guess you're right :ph34r:

"If I were to say to you that in this moment your own mind and perceptions keep you from an experience of your true nature and the nature of reality, you may well wonder what I'm talking about. That's OK. Simply be open to the possibility that there is something about yourself and reality that is "hidden in plain sight." Not-knowing certainly isn't the sole topic of this book, but rather the best state from which to read it. The real topic of this book is you." - segment out of the book, page 9

Anyway all your responses are appreciated!! Had to laugh at some of them. Also @Outer thank you for the elaborated response : )

Imma start reading ;) 

5 hours ago, Sven said:

How should I read this book?

The same way porcupines mate.

Carefully ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This ones on my list of to read. A lot of reviews say its very beginner and repetitive. Is this true or is it all leo's book list hypes it up to be? 

I looked at it online.  It looks like quite a tome.  It wasn't was I expected it to be.  I was expecting something written in a lighter style. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

BIIIIIG TIP: Do every exercise the moment they’re presented and don’t move forward till you “get it” experientially. Don’t rush through this book. I repeat... DON’T RUSH THROUGH THIS BOOK.

This books is so clearly written I overlooked so much of what I read. Each time I reread it (which you will have to do) though I remember reading it before, I begun to notice how much I didn’t soak in.

This book requires patience. Don’t read it like abnormal book. If you need to meditate for an hour or more on a single paragraph 2 pages in, do it. Be patient with this book. Your results in this book are directly proportional to how patient and deeply chew each chapter, paragraph, and sentence. 

@Leo Gura Will do, will do :ph34r:

@kieranperez Thank you, I think you made a good point!

@Joseph Maynor It is big, but the way it's written seems very light and clear, actually! Just like the way he speaks.

Thanks guys if I come across some insights I might share them if I feel like that is what I have to do... ;) Keep it up guys <3

Im also in the process of reading this book! It has taken me over 6 months to reach page 460 so maybe Im taking it too slow... But im not reading it every day but rather sporadically whenever I feel I want to concentrate and really focus on the topic of enlightenment.

If I have to summarize the book so far - to reach an experience of direct consiciousness of the truth of something, to know something by itself for itself as itself, you need to be in a state of not knowing. Not mentally but actually.. How to get to direct consciousness...thats the bingo issue.

But I have to admit my desire to reach direct consciousness really fluctuates so Im struggling for motivation. But a fascinating book!

I read awhile ago, clear and fun read, not difficult at all, Ralston has a very charismatic style.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

10 hours ago, Sven said:

@Leo Gura Will do, will do :ph34r:

@kieranperez Thank you, I think you made a good point!

@Joseph Maynor It is big, but the way it's written seems very light and clear, actually! Just like the way he speaks.

Thanks guys if I come across some insights I might share them if I feel like that is what I have to do... ;) Keep it up guys <3

That's good to know.  I scanned the table of contents and it looked much more rigorous that I expected.

@Joseph Maynor it’s a clear read and that’s precisely why it’s so hard - you’re likely to overlook it. What’s hard about it is how patient you have to be reading and contemplating something so plainly written. 

In Ralston's sequel to the Book of Not Knowing he wrote in the introduction about how well written it was and how, because of that, most people missed what he was saying (though people are going to miss what he’s talking about regardless of how he communicates these things). 

@Outer

------

The funny thing with Cast Away, the last package he delivers to a large farm, in the middle of nowhere, might have been a radio. Could have been batteries not included though. But does provide and maintain a purpose though.

I wouldn't say talking to Wilson is an example of doublethink, instead it is an example of projection. Chuck needs the ability to project onto an object in order for creativity to take place, and get off the island. "How much wood? would a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood."

For an example of Double Think Spinoza's "The Ethics" is a good example, the book is worth reading for some of it's faults, and good points. For a more contemporary example the phrase "Just do it."

Chuck is also obsessed with time, perhaps a partial relation to his name Norland. Northern people generally being more time obsessed. Thought I throw in the Rabbit from Alice and Wonderland is also obsessed with time, before any major projection continues.

--------

Listening to "The Book of Not Knowing" on Scribd going, gingerly.... Better than Spinoza's "The Ethics" so far, and Peter Ralston does not fall into doublethink, unlike Spinoza, although sections of the book are very similar. Also seems to strongly support the unconscious theory of the mind, which I agree with. Haven't seen a strong support of a subconscious theory of the mind, perhaps there is one out there somewhere, perhaps Carl Rogers, don't really know.

Edited by RichardY