Yonkon

Is "Letting Go" something you do or something that happens when you become aware?

37 posts in this topic

I have read some books about letting go, surrendering etc and now i am a bit confused. I always tried to let go with willpower and decision. Like "I want approval from other people, but know i let go. I LET GO! GO!!!" That didn't work quite well. Now i am trying to  just apply awareness and it only happens as a side effect. I try to become aware of the problem and the surrounding thoughts and sensations, this dissolves the problem.    

Any one else tried and failed the same way with the letting go technique? Is Letting go passive or active?

Well, I don`t know the answer to this question, but it`s very interesting one. I`ve got a feeling it`s more about awareness, but can`t justify it.

It is something you do.

Try it right now: just let go of the tension in your right hand.

Notice you can do it.

Stop overthinking it.

With psychological issues, you cannot let go of a thing you are not aware of. So in that case you must become aware of it first, then let it go.

Letting go of psychological issues requires repeated letting go. Once does not work.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well, we all have different ways of interpreting doing but I would never describe the act of letting go as a “doing”. It is the opposite of doing. And the less you do the more you will open up to that sweet good time feeling called enlightenment :) 

It's both. But mostly, something you have to literally 'do'. You have to take conscious action on what you want to let go off. There are different ways you can do it. But the 'letting go' aspect is always the same. Find a way that resonates with you and practice it.

There are so may, visualisation combined with breath, works best for me. 

12 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Yonkon Let go of the false notion of free will. Lol. 

The self will do anything to stay in the game. The self says "Ok. Ok. This attachment thing is getting pretty bad. I better get busy trying to figure out how to let go. I'll do some research online and discuss it on the forum. It's a good thing I stepped up to take action before it got out of hand" 

The self is so sneaky.

1 hour ago, Seed said:

It's both. But mostly, something you have to literally 'do'. You have to take conscious action on what you want to let go off. There are different ways you can do it. But the 'letting go' aspect is always the same. Find a way that resonates with you and practice it.

There are so may, visualisation combined with breath, works best for me. 

Don’t do. Just drop everything including doing, including the intent of wanting to drop. Any doing is ego 

42 minutes ago, Barry J said:

Don’t do. Just drop everything including doing, including the intent of wanting to drop. Any doing is ego 

This wise dude without a face once said, “ how do you know what is considered non-doing when you don’t even understand what is considered a doing?” Even if @Seedwas to listen to advice like you gave above would that be a doing or not? 

@Jack River Yes, as you said:You would not know, and you would not understand doing and non-doing. So, that is a way to begin for the one that thinks otherwise. 

@Jack River Sure, and I would just like to add:

If an advice is not for you, then stay on your way/your choice. If you think it is, sometimes you cannot help what happens in life. 

There's a mooji satsang called "Jesus is your best friend" on youtube, and at one point he talks to an ex-cult woman who has alot of trauma, and discusses how life is not always changeable and seems crappy, and that's what inspired this answer.

@Yonkon I've found from personal experience that letting go is initially aggressive but then becomes passive. Aggression is put in to break your autopilot/habitual lower consciousness functioning. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

11 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

If an advice is not for you, then stay on your way/your choice.

This one here I just really got ahold of few days ago. I saw that a way, and choice are themselves a doing. 

13 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

There's a mooji satsang called "Jesus is your best friend" on youtube, and at one point he talks to an ex-cult woman who has alot of trauma, and discusses how life is not always changeable and seems crappy, and that's what inspired this answer.

Hmmm:D. My dad totally hides behind words of Jesus/Christianity to justify his actions. When I here Jesus mentioned I can help but grin and walk the other way. I can happily say I don’t need to listen to fairy tales/gurus any longer. By the way isnthat your cat as your proifile pic? That is a cool cat:)

@Yonkonfor me letting go is like being with a sensation in the body until it is no more 

with increased awareness comes less attachment and need to let go 

relinquishing the illusion of control 

Edited by DrewNows

7 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@Yonkonfor me letting go is like being with a sensation in the body until it is no more 

with increased awareness comes less attachment and need to let go 

relinquishing the illusion of control 

Stop running from fear?