Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
isabel

Why be vegetarian?

44 posts in this topic

If there's no death, no good, no bad, and if suffering serves a purpose in the world then why not just eat meat?

And also can we even kill animals that don't want to be killed?

Just because some guy on the internet said that there is no death, no bad and no suffering, doesn't mean that you can just start living any way you please without thinking about consequences.
In order to be able to do that, you need to really believe that/ have been awakened. Are you enlightened?

Because I for myself can't say, that I truly believe there's no suffering just because everything is an illusion.
For me, as long as there are creatures that are not enlightened, their suffering and their pain is real! It's real to them, so I can't act like it is not.

That is a fair question, although, I am receiving your comment as quite despondent.  I will challenge that concept with several questions identify the problem with that mindset: why do anything?  Why develop intimate relationships? Why develop a business? Why care about anything?

Regardless of the absolute truth, we are still here in a material world perspective.  

There is suffering, and although it is not possible to relieve all suffering (human, animal or otherwise), reflecting deeply about how you can reduce harm (on yourself and others) is a valuable exercise, and ultimately increases your consciousness.  

@katlicitas makes some good points.  

@isabel By that logic, why not eat people?

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Humans were made to eat mostly fruits and some raw vegetables, herbs and spices. When you go away from it, you will suffer in one way or another. Basically, you will create all sorts of imbalances and blocks in your digestive tract that will spread to your whole body. Inflammations, allergies, aches, pains, joint problems, brain fog, anxiety, anger issues, energy blocks, all sorts of diseases will arise. But don't take my words as a fact, try for yourself, go at least one week on a strict fruitarian diet and notice how high you feel. 

Yes, i noticed that you are wanting to discuss the moral aspect of it in a non-dual perspective but i will drop my 2 cents anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@isabel By that logic, why not eat people?

;)

Why not eat people though? In some cultures they did. Can you even kill and eat a person that hasn't agreed to that on some level?

edit to add: I am a vegetarian and I totally get why to do it on the surface level, just wondering what's really going on here.

And also I think that is an even better question: Why not murder and eat people? 

Edited by isabel

35 minutes ago, exhale said:

That is a fair question, although, I am receiving your comment as quite despondent.  I will challenge that concept with several questions identify the problem with that mindset: why do anything?  Why develop intimate relationships? Why develop a business? Why care about anything?

Regardless of the absolute truth, we are still here in a material world perspective.  

There is suffering, and although it is not possible to relieve all suffering (human, animal or otherwise), reflecting deeply about how you can reduce harm (on yourself and others) is a valuable exercise, and ultimately increases your consciousness.  

@katlicitas makes some good points.  

Thank you, I'm not despondent, I have reflected deeply on reducing suffering, I've been a vegetarian for around 28 years, spiders are welcome to live with me in my home, I enjoy flowers in the field without picking them, etc.

So don't live in the material world by the laws or ideas of absolute truth?

I have no desire to eat meat or kill any animals, it's not an interest of mine, I'm just wondering how it works, so tell me what you think, can a person kill an animal if that animal has not agreed to it on some level? Because it will fight for it's life so it wants to live on one level but...

And don't some enlightened people in India just check out of the material world, they choose not to have families and businesses, they just sit there.

So yeah? I'm asking why care about anything? People can but they don't have to...

@isabel Because the way in which we kill animals disgusting when inspected closely.

Not to mention that it's unnecessary.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

3 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@isabel Because the way in which we kill animals disgusting when inspected closely.

Not to mention that it's unnecessary.

I fully agree, I would never eat meat. It is not necessary to eat meat.

Okay here's the question in a different way, can the one consciousness have an experience that it doesn't want?

6 minutes ago, isabel said:

I fully agree, I would never eat meat. It is not necessary to eat meat.

Okay here's the question in a different way, can the one consciousness have an experience that it doesn't want?

Why do you think that the one consciousness wants anything?

Glory to Israel

@Recursoinominado most vegetarians eat tons of pasta. I tried eating vegatarian without pasta and I had the worst belly cramps, diarrhea, extremely low energy.

When I eat meat I have no problems that you mentioned.

its not practical to be vegetarian for me, I tried.

11 minutes ago, Viking said:

@Recursoinominado most vegetarians eat tons of pasta. I tried eating vegatarian without pasta and I had the worst belly cramps, diarrhea, extremely low energy.

When I eat meat I have no problems that you mentioned.

its not practical to be vegetarian for me, I tried.

Vegetarians that eat only raw foods are rare, as anything, you have to research a little about it because the transition will cause some effects (mostly detox effects) since you are eating the diet that you suppose to eat probably for the first time in your life and your body now its on healing mode (and as all types of healing, you will experience some discomforts). Its not a matter of only take the pasta out of your diet, you actually only eat fruits and raw vegetables (carrots, beets, cucumber, cabbage, greens, herbs, spices etc). I recommend Arnold Ehret books and Dr. Robert Morse and Liferegenaretor channels on youtube. I was a vegan before and i still had lots of problems until i learned about detox/fasting/raw foods, i have never been so healthy, happy, free from aches, pains and i am only in the beginning of the journey, i can only imagine how i will feel some years ahead. It really accelerated my spiritual development, it made me deal with a lot of shit that was being suppressed with food. It is not for everyone, only for those who want to be the best that they can be. 

Three main reasons:

It kills living being which are no different from you, they all have consciousness and awareness, so how, assuming you're mentally healthy, is It okay to keep them in extreme conditions for years, some months in extreme suffering, focused on maximum product production so they are spending all their lives in extreme suffering and then just slaughtered, while...

As It's focused on maximum amount produced It's filled with antibiotics, steroids, growth hormones, kept in low quality environments so food is main cause of cancer, heart diseases and others health problems, while...

Being main cause for pollution, deforestation and literary killing us because human body can strive only on plant based diet, but that would honestly be more in long term, because young bodies can resist until they get older.

I won't even mention spiritual aspect, think about It yourself.

Why be vegetarian? No idea, well better than omnivore, but I also don't fully get It.

I've been switching over to a more vegetarian lifestyle.  I do eat chicken breast, fish, eggs, and other stuff in small moderation.  I eat some pork.  Right now because I'm working out everyday, I'm a little skittish about just relying on my whey protein, pea protein, etc.  So, I gotta get that figured out.  But I'm eating a lot of veggies now.  I don't really eat much fruit at all.  Beans, veggies, white meat, eggs, a little bit of rice.  That's kinda where I'm at.  But I'll tell you this -- my diet today is 500 times better than my diet was a year ago, two years ago, etc.  Get yourself a steamer to do your veggies.  Get yourself some good olive oil (Iiada is a good brand from Greece) and some balsamic vinegar, etc.  You gotta learn how to make veggies taste awesome.  So, I've been learning how to cook, etc.  You kinda gotta learn how to cook yourself to make veggies taste awesome.  I can make a plate of veggies taste better than a steak dinner.  It's all in your knowledge of cooking, spices, herbs, oils, vinegars, flavor combinations, etc. -- Cooking is an art too, you'll get into it -- your intuition can shine in cooking just like in music, painting, programming, etc. -- You can be the Steve Jobs of cooking veggies -- you can! -- Just work on your cooking a little bit every day -- explore all the different ingredients and cooking methods.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

The process of spiritual purification is the process of making things easier. The endless desires of the ego are very persistent, and it will always find ways to justify your own behavior. If eating meat seems fine for you at the present moment, that's ok, but keep your mind open to the possibility of health and spiritual benefits of quitting. 

Contemplate about what is eating another animal's flesh. You are getting all sort of energies, not just the calories. The animal you are eating, if you did not hunt it yourself, was eating very low quality food and had a lot of suffering in his life.  You are literally eating suffering.

If all I said sounds too cuckoo for you, keep doing what you are doing, work on yourself and revisit this question in the future.

Indeed, you can eat people. Go for it.

The reason you don't is because it is like shooting yourself in the foot, because identify with being human.

Likewise, as your ego dissolves, you will start to identify with the entire universe, including animals, and you will have more compassion, so you will probably not want to participate in factory farming.

At a high level of consciousness you will realize that swatting a fly is killing yourself.

And you will also realize that there cannot be life without death.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Indeed, you can eat people. Go for it.

The reason you don't is because it is like shooting yourself in the foot, because identify with being human.

Likewise, as your ego dissolves, you will start to identify with the entire universe, including animals, and you will have more compassion, so you will probably not want to participate in factory farming.

At a high level of consciousness you will realize that swatting a fly is killing yourself.

And you will also realize that there cannot be life without death.

Thank you. I see all that.

Are you saying that consciousness wants to express itself as compassion more than it wants to express itself as violence? 

1 hour ago, Scholar said:

Why do you think that the one consciousness wants anything?

I think it wants to be the universe and I don't think it becomes things that it doesn't want to be, I was just wondering if other people thought that same thing...

Chogyam Trungpa ate meat, smoked cigarettes, and drank like a fish.