okulele

Becoming a full time yogi

58 posts in this topic

@Prabhaker Well, probably doing Yoga in India won't make me enlightened, but I feel it's a step I have to take to become who I am. And yeah, India has definetely it's commercial downsides. I'm willing to find a school/ashram that is not that commercial and will teach people who are really looking for truth.

@okulele I also heard that Amma's ashram is a nice place to stay and learn.

One purpose of this journey is also to get rid of emotional attachments and conditionings and to get out of the comfort zone/train will power. For that reason I wanna visit an Osho place and participate in his Dynamic Meditations. Besides the Ashram in Pune there are also some smaller places in the Noth of India that are not that commerial.

What's the difference between a duck?

@okulele have you checked out hridaya yoga center in mexico? 

they are following the non duality path. I was thinking of pa auk forest monastery in myanmar, it's the theravada buddhism. 

@kateaa It looks like there is a possibility to stay in Hridaya as a karma yogi, but spanish is required. That's not an option for me then.

Thanks for sharing the monastery. Looks good.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

If you have Leo’s booklist, go under the consciousness/enlightenment section and keyword search the word “Om”... read that book. A great story but also great insights about a monk who gave up materialism to pursue full enlightenment in a cave and then used that to really serve people as part of his own life purpose. Not just coming back and teaching meditation classs to people who aren’t truly open to the profound d truths of reality and are really just there to release stress after a long day of chimpery.

You might as well just go for it. McMindfulness has grown to become a billion-dollar industry. Spend a couple years of your youth in a monestary/ashram can be a great foundation for building a career in this field later in life.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

if you want to become a full time yogi, do it now. stop running away.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya Of course, the point "it's here and now" is most valid. But still, if I have an option to choose my life circumstances, I want the ones most supportive of my goals.

"Becoming a full-time yogi"

You don't need India for it. The best way is to separate from society, being alone, then after you awaken you can come back and shed light on people, then go back. 

Hey!

I recognize this commitment to Truth! Before I was like that but you have to risk it all! If you really want Truth you have to be willing to risk your future. Surrender.

Focus on deepening your awakening instead of distracting yourself with other people. Start with a 10 day Vipassana silent retreat. You will love it. And Vipassana is a technique focused on Enlightenment/End of suffering.

Edited by cirkussmile

On 4/7/2018 at 10:33 AM, pluto said:

All answers reside within present moment awareness. If you are not being present and trusting the process of your highest passion/highest excitement you are only creating illusory experiences, distractions and obstacles for self to find freedom. Ultimately there are no right or wrongs but once you find freedom/enlightenment it won't matter where, when, how, what, who you are you will be free in every way shape/form so these questions will not bother you at all as they do now.

With an Enlightened Awareness everything falls into place naturally.

Know thyself, Be thyself. There is no need to complicate it further. 

If you don't trust infinite intelligence to play itself out, you cannot embody its natural flow.

Just Be yourself and follow your heart, everything outside of ourselves is a test we created for ourselves.

The Op is worried about survival while mantaining a full-time yogi lifestyle, and survival in actual world requires strategic thinking. He can be present, trust the process, follow his heart and this wont put food in his mouth. The most probable is that he'd let himself die. Survival is ego, enlightenment is destroying ego.

The only way is to be in a monk community that guarants free food and shelter for gratitude.

Other way is being in the matrix having a light job aligned with his values that doesnt reuqire a lot of time.

On 7/1/2018 at 0:18 AM, okulele said:

Becoming a full time yogi

Patanjali says in first sutra

Athayoganushasanam.

translation- NOW THE DISCIPLINE OF YOGA.

First try to understand the word "now". This "now" indicates to the state of mind.

If you are disillusioned, if you are hopeless, if you have completely become aware of the futility of all desires, if you see your life as meaningless - whatsoever you have been doing up to now has simply fallen dead nothing remains in the future, you are in absolute despair - what Kierkegaard calls anguish. If you are in anguish, suffering, not knowing what to do, not knowing where to go, not knowing to whom to look, just on the verge of madness or suicide or death, your whole pattern of life suddenly has become futile. If this moment has come, Patanjali says, NOW THE DISCIPLINE OF YOGA. Only now you can understand the science of yoga, the discipline of yoga.

If that moment has not come, you can go on studying yoga, you can become a great scholar, but you will not be a yogi. You can write theses upon it, you can give discourses upon it, but you will not be a yogi. The moment has not come for you. Intellectually you can become interested, through your mind you can be related to yoga, but yoga is nothing if it is not a discipline. Yoga is not a shastra; it is not a scripture. It is a discipline. It is something you have to do. It is not curiosity; it is not philosophic speculation. It is deeper than that. It is a question of life and death.

If the moment has come where you feel that all directions have become confused, all roads have disappeared; the future is dark, and every desire has become bitter, and through every desire you have known only disappointment; all movement into hopes and dreams has ceased. ~OSHO

@okulele Read more about 'real meaning' of Yoga 

http://oshosearch.net/Convert/Articles_Osho/Yoga_The_Alpha_and_the_Omega_Volume_1/Osho-Yoga-The-Alpha-and-the-Omega-Volume-1-00000001.html

http://oshosearch.net/Convert/Articles_Osho/Yoga_The_Alpha_and_the_Omega_Volume_1/Osho-Yoga-The-Alpha-and-the-Omega-Volume-1-index.html

@Quanty Seperating from society and concetrating on meditation is what I had primarily in mind. Not neccecerily India.

@cirkussmile I have done a Vipassana retreat before and I did love it. I did not want to leave after 10 days! :D

@Moreira I find that being in society can be a bit distracting. E.g. flatmates diaturbing my practice.

@Prabhaker Thanks for the inspiring article. By yogi I ment yogi/meditator/... I might check out the books in the future.

When I try to dig deep within myself, I couldn't ask questions to my higher self or intuition, I just come up with superficial abstract answers from my lower self. It happens also when I try to visualize, my lower self gets over conscious and trigger resistance when digging deep in my soul.

47 minutes ago, Athemnajar said:

When I try to dig deep within myself, I couldn't ask questions to my higher self or intuition, I just come up with superficial abstract answers from my lower self. It happens also when I try to visualize, my lower self gets over conscious and trigger resistance when digging deep in my soul.

What are you talking about?

We can all go together :) Wouldn't that be nice. :)

I didn't realized there're so many people who experience the same thing. 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

10 hours ago, okulele said:

What are you talking about?

When I sit to journal about my life purpose , I am not able to come up with answers.

2 hours ago, Athemnajar said:

When I sit to journal about my life purpose , I am not able to come up with answers.

Well don't give. Have patience and faith. You will get there :)